Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Why are you a Bills Fan?

Ann

1 hour ago, Fansince88 said:

Ok, got a few uninterrupted minutes so here we go. Born in 1970 on Long Island NY into a Jets family. Moved to NNY to Giants country in 1975. I watched a bit of football off and on most of my teen years but never really gravitated to a team at all. When I finished 7th grade I went to a small private school where I met a great friend of mine. he was from Jersey and also moved up here in rural NNY. Anyhow, he and I are the same age and have every thing in common. Our likes and dislikes. Both were gear heads and we both stood up for each other as best man in our weddings. So, many Sundays after church, his dad is a pastor and the guy that married my wife and I and many years later our youngest daughter we would hang out at his place and watch football together. One day he told me I needed to pick a team. I told him we have everything in common but I just cant pick the jets because they are not a NY team. I also decided I couldn't pick the Jets because they made my dad such an angry man over the years. well, just during the fall. So that year, 1988, I decided to follow the Bills. After all they are NY's team. That is how I became Fansince88. Incidentally, it should be made known, also Mets and Islanders fan. 

You picked a great year to jump in.

• Like 1

First game I remember seeing  was the AFL Championship (in 1964 in SD). My uncle  worked at Chevy(made $$) and was the first people we knew  that had a color TV. First game I went to was  the second last game in the Rockpile (vs SF- Brodie got hurt) in 1972.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

11 hours ago, Ninety-4 said:

You picked a great year to jump in.

Yup, went up quickly for me. Been riding them since though. Have NEVER turned a game off until the final whistle and never planed a weekend without the game part of the plans.

9 hours ago, DC Tom said:

"Gary Marangi made me a fan" is something I never would have expected to hear, ever.

40 years from now will we hear the same about Peterman? I say no.

TakeYouToTasker 2.0

I grew up 45 minutes from Boston, the oldest in five siblings.  Like so many other young men, my sports rooting interests were passed on to me by my father. We would watch games together, and he would take me to live events.

We attended games at Fenway Park, and the old Boston Garden more times than I can count.  We went to Midnight Madness, and the NCAA Tournament.

He would let me stay up late to watch games with him on school nights if I was getting good grades.

I was cemented, early on, as a diehard fan of the Red Sox, Celtics, Bruins, and PC Friars.  I probably should have been a Patriots fan as well. Lord knows my father is.

However, unlike all the other sports and teams I mentioned, I never really got to watch football with my dad.  He traveled for work at the beginning of every week, and was out of the house before noon every Sunday to get on an airplane.

So I watched football by myself.

I was born in the late 1970’s, and the local  team, the Patriots, were awful throughout the 1980’s when I started watching sports.  Because of this, they were constantly blacked out, and never in the playoffs (save the Super Bowl year), so they were rarely on television.

The Bills, however, were always on TV, and they had a ton of ultra-talented super stars.  By the time the early 90’s rolled around I was already a fan, but the dynasty era stamped it on my heart, and I have allowed the Bills to make me miserable almost every Sunday since.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Cheers 2

16 hours ago, Fansince88 said:

Ok, got a few uninterrupted minutes so here we go. Born in 1970 on Long Island NY into a Jets family. Moved to NNY to Giants country in 1975. I watched a bit of football off and on most of my teen years but never really gravitated to a team at all. When I finished 7th grade I went to a small private school where I met a great friend of mine. he was from Jersey and also moved up here in rural NNY. Anyhow, he and I are the same age and have every thing in common. Our likes and dislikes. Both were gear heads and we both stood up for each other as best man in our weddings. So, many Sundays after church, his dad is a pastor and the guy that married my wife and I and many years later our youngest daughter we would hang out at his place and watch football together. One day he told me I needed to pick a team. I told him we have everything in common but I just cant pick the jets because they are not a NY team. I also decided I couldn't pick the Jets because they made my dad such an angry man over the years. well, just during the fall. So that year, 1988, I decided to follow the Bills. After all they are NY's team. That is how I became Fansince88. Incidentally, it should be made known, also Mets and Islanders fan. 

That almost as horrifying as the Bills-Mets-Sabres exacta of despair that many of us have lived under.

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, KD in CA said:

That almost as horrifying as the Bills-Mets-Sabres exacta of despair that many of us have lived under.

Almost. Islanders are improving. OHHHH BOOOOY

Growing up in Queens, I hated Jersey and pretty much everything associated with it. We all know there's just one NFL team in New York, so... the rest is history.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Sum Ting Wong said:

Growing up in Queens, I hated Jersey and pretty much everything associated with it. We all know there's just one NFL team in New York, so... the rest is history.

That just made realize how old I am. I when grew up in Jersey all 3* of the NFL teams were in New York. 

*Buffalo was AFL till in 1966 and the Meadowlands didn't open till 1972, so from 1966 to 1972 there were 3 New York NFL teams.
Also, football/baseball fan affiliation in NYC was pretty much aligned with the stadium they played in.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Uncle Joe said:

Also, football/baseball fan affiliation in NYC was pretty much aligned with the stadium they played in.

Yup. The Jets played at Shea for 20 years. I grew up a few stations away and was a huge Mets fan. So were my friends -- who were all Jets fans. Actually, the Jets bolting is what got me fired up and interested in football to begin with.

Epilogue: We moved to Jersey the following year. 😞

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sum Ting Wong said:

Yup. The Jets played at Shea for 20 years. I grew up a few stations away and was a huge Mets fan. So were my friends -- who were all Jets fans. Actually, the Jets bolting is what got me fired up and interested in football to begin with.

Epilogue: We moved to Jersey the following year. 😞

Epilogue footnote: 
2 years after we left Jersey they built Giants stadium 14 miles away. The Jets now have their training facility in the suburb next to where I grew up.

Having lived in Orchard Park and East Aurora for a number of years, and visiting downtown Buffalo frequently, I found that the area blue collar vibe fit my own feelings and beliefs.  Given that, what other choice is there?  So, from the first game we went to in 1973, to season tickets for a number of years, to finally settllng for watching games on tv;  again, what other choice is there?  From Biscuit to Smoke and all the players in between we've followed, screamed, cried, bitched and breathed sighs of relief along with all of you.

• Like 2

I'd have to say I was born into it. My family has been Bills season ticket holders as far back as I can remember. It was a choice in my household. Spent many sundays since the mid 70's at Bills games. So many great memories and some painful ones as well.  If back to back 2-14 seasons didn't scare me away, then nothing will. Lol  

• Like 3

• 4 months later...

My niece had a baby this week. I got a photo today of her daughter (who is four years old) holding her baby brother. (They have to frame the photo! It was adorable.)

What was this little baby who is less than a week old wearing? Why a Bills sweater and knit hat, of course! His father is starting him down the Bills path immediately.

• Like 2
  • FANtastic 3

Grew up in a house where the Bills, Sabres and Braves were a big deal.  My Dad crossed paths with players and team personnel in his work from time to time and those connections were a big hook.  For one Buffalo Braves game I was able to sit at the broadcast table next to Van Miller when I was in Middle school.  I was literally in the last seat next to player's bench.  Bob McAdoo had me hold his sweaty towel a few times.  Van gave me a job checking off the commercials as they were being played during breaks, I had a set of headphones on.  That was an amazing experience at that age. 

Memorial Aud had 4 seats between the player benches.  Sat in those once.  Got into a verbal altercation with Maple Leafs coach Dan Maloney during the game.  He told us to &#%$ off.  You can't believe the shit the players and coaches say to one another down there.  Very creative uses of profanity. 

Also spent 1 Bills game in the press box area helping with some stats stuff.  It was very little work, mostly just a perk.  Ate lunch with Mark Malone who had started his media career. 

Got married in '87, my wife a huge Bills and sports fan so we got season tickets with some friends and family in '88. DINKs.  Could not have timed it any better.  Had them through '94.  What a ride!

Edited by Ninety-4
  • Like 4