Jump to content

Lawn Mower Advice


Mahoney
 Share

Recommended Posts

Seems I need to get more exercise, and getting one of these seems like a good start (while saving $1,500 a year on a service).

I haven't mowed a lawn in 20 years and have no idea what to buy. I'm open to gas or battery, as long as the job gets done. Price -- Maybe $500?

Advice would be appreciated. 😉

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What's a lawn??

 

Seriously many homes here in CA don't have them.  It blows me a way that there are homes by us here in OC in the $10-25M range that are on top of each other and have essentially no yard.  Our new house in the desert's back yard is 90% pool and the other 10% is easy to maintain desert scape.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

Well, for those of us who do mow their lawn..........Lawnmowing.jpg

 

I use a Toro 22inch, high wheels, mulching option mower        around $350.

 

and of course it is self propelling..........with headphones on, it makes it just a pleasant walk.

 

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Seasons1992

Honda, Honda, Honda.

Find your local, smaller hardware store that sells them. Shouldn't be more than $400. Best mowers I've ever used by far.

  • Like 1
  • FANtastic 1
  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I mow 2 acres. I have a Zero turn Ariens Ikon 54" deck. That said, I love to come home from work, put in the ear buds and mow my stress away. Love the smell of freshly mowed grass and perfect lines that my zero turn makes.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Koko said:

Don't be a sissy. If you're looking for exercise, there's only one option:

 

shutterstock_1416006320-push.jpg

Had one of these as a kid. Mowed up hill both ways.....bare foot....in the snow.

  • Like 1
  • Wow 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Koko said:

Don't be a sissy. If you're looking for exercise, there's only one option:

 

shutterstock_1416006320-push.jpg

 

Combining this with Chef Jim's answer above about the size of CA lawns, I (no joke) bought one exactly like this, minus the quarter century of rust.  $99.  Takes me about seven minutes to do both by 'front' yard (a 300 sf triangle) and my 'back' yard (technically my side yard -- about 800 sf).

  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Seasons1992
18 hours ago, Koko said:

Don't be a sissy. If you're looking for exercise, there's only one option:

 

shutterstock_1416006320-push.jpg

 

I tried out a brand new version of these years ago. It's no joke; your grass needs to not be long or forget about it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Seasons1992 said:

 

I tried out a brand new version of these years ago. It's no joke; your grass needs to not be long or forget about it.

 

New reel mowers are the real deal. But you need a perfectly leveled lawn and you have to mow a few times a week. The results are stunning but reel mowing a discipline.

 

 

Edited by RkFast
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, RkFast said:

 

New reel mowers are the real deal. But you need a perfectly leveled lawn and you have to mow a few times a week. The results are stunning but reel mowing a discipline.

 

 


I have Bermuda so a reel would be ideal for my lawn. Unfortunately it is about as flat as the rockies.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

RochesterRob

  Gas engine with electric start.  I hate starting via the ripcord more than the exercise of pushing the mower.  Don't know what is out there that fits my description but nearly every manufacturer has a website so you don't have to put the kid in the garden department at Lowe's on the spot.  Someday I hope to hand off my ripcord mower to my nephew but for now it will have to do.  Got the John Deere for the bulk of the lawn.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ego self propelled mower here. It’s great. No gasoline ever. Charges in less than an hour. Variable speed, mulches, bags, or side throw - your choice depending on the season and need. I usually mulch. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use, Privacy Policy, We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue., Guidelines