Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Lawn Mower Advice

Mahoney

3 hours ago, Nanker said:

Ego self propelled mower here. It’s great. No gasoline ever. Charges in less than an hour. Variable speed, mulches, bags, or side throw - your choice depending on the season and need. I usually mulch. 

How big is your yard? My neighbor had an electric and he could only do half of his maybe quarter acre per charge. That was a few years ago so I’m hoping they’ve gotten better. 

He got very lucky though. I don’t know what brand it was, but there was a problem with the charger out of the box. He sent it back to the company and they sent him a new battery along with the charger. So he had two and could do the full yard. 

• Like 1

On 3/11/2021 at 9:59 AM, Seasons1992 said:

I tried out a brand new version of these years ago. It's no joke; your grass needs to not be long or forget about it.

Yes....that's true.  Can't let it go longer than about a week. 

On 3/10/2021 at 1:56 PM, Ann said:

Mow your own lawn? :classic_blink:  That's why they have lawn services - don't care how expensive it is.

The problem, here, is that law companies are extremely unreliable. That's the only reason I'm thinking about mowing my own this year. {Lawn, that is}.

***grumbles about 'Manscaped' ads***

On 3/11/2021 at 4:44 PM, RkFast said:

Honda HRN or if you have a larger lawn and want the better model, the HRX. Twin blades make a nice cut, powerful engine, classic Honda quality and engineering.

I have this guy:

https://powerequipment.honda.com/lawn-mowers/models/hrx217vka

Im a huge lawn care nut...ask away.

I'm just circling back to this thread, and that's exactly what I got! I got the HRN-166. I mowed for the first time yesterday and the thing was literally dragging me around the yard. I need to learn that there are multiple speeds. 😉

More importantly, are you RkFast from the Bills Boards on Usenet like a bazillion years ago? I miss bashing JRE Fin Fan, Medman, etc., though there have been many, many who have taken their place over the years. 👍

Edited by Mahoney

On 3/13/2021 at 10:34 AM, shrader said:

How big is your yard? My neighbor had an electric and he could only do half of his maybe quarter acre per charge. That was a few years ago so I’m hoping they’ve gotten better. 

He got very lucky though. I don’t know what brand it was, but there was a problem with the charger out of the box. He sent it back to the company and they sent him a new battery along with the charger. So he had two and could do the full yard. 

The prospect of battery running out at any given time with a week's worth of rain on the horizon scared me out of electric.

13 minutes ago, Mahoney said:

The problem, here, is that law companies are extremely unreliable. That's the only reason I'm thinking about mowing my own this year. {Lawn, that is}.

***grumbles about 'Manscaped' ads***

When we first moved here I just continued on with the service I had in Buffalo.

I was selling my house in the city and it is a good 35-45 minute drive from the new house to the old house. I was getting gas at the gas station down the street and I walked over to the guys who had a lawnmower set-up (they were on a break) and asked for a card. They followed me home, cut the lawn, and quoted me a stupid low price. 

I never once worried about that house looking ratty from time of listing through to closing (it sold within a week but NYS closings can drag on).

The following year I asked them if they mowed out this way (after quickly learning that Hubby was not a lawncare guy, and fighting with my son wasn't worth the aggravation or not shelling out the money for a service).

They said yes, and I had them for years (until the owner got ill and sold the business. The new business  owners were terrible.)

It was a grim few years in between that service and our current people. My ONLY complaint with the new service (five+ years) is he doesn't bill timely. I am literally hounding him so I can send him money for: spring clean-up, gardening, lawncare, and fall clean-up (and the snow plow contract). I pay them many, many, many thousands of dollars a year, and it is as if he doesn't care if he gets paid or not. 

• Like 1

On 3/10/2021 at 2:44 PM, Seasons1992 said:

Honda, Honda, Honda.

Find your local, smaller hardware store that sells them. Shouldn't be more than $400. Best mowers I've ever used by far.

$409 -- Good call!

7 minutes ago, Ann said:

I pay them many, many, many thousands of dollars a year...

This is the second reason I'm mowing my own lawn. Every time I cut it, I put $70 aside for my daughter's college fund. If I keep at this for 14 years -- that's $30K+.

• Cheers 2

Beer__League__Hockey
4 hours ago, Mahoney said:

This is the second reason I'm mowing my own lawn. Every time I cut it, I put $70 aside for my daughter's college fund. If I keep at this for 14 years -- that's $30K+.

Holy sheet, I mowed 50x100 lots for $10 in 1990.  I should have been charging more...