Jump to content

Why Move to Your State?


Ann
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hubby and I will be taking a road trip this summer. We need to move out of state. At first it was based on the New York State political climate, but now it is monetary... we need to find a state with no income tax. We are also looking into the US Virgin Islands.

Why do you live in your state? No income taxes? Lower real estate taxes? To be near friends and family? Did you choose your state for economic reasons? And if so, what were they?

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Low real estate prices, low taxes, few regulations, and sensible politicians who pursue pragmatic solutions instead of reacting wildly to the popular hysteria of the day.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

Low real estate prices, low taxes, few regulations, and sensible politicians who pursue pragmatic solutions instead of reacting wildly to the popular hysteria of the day.


California!? :classic_blink:

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Ann said:


California!? :classic_blink:

 

Oh, the benefits of living here....it is beautiful, can be out in spectacular nature year round, income opportunities are significantly better than elsewhere, raising kids here better than in the northeast, people are genuinely nice and friendly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Great weather

Great beaches

Great mountains for hiking and/or skiing

Beautiful deserts

Best restaurants in the world

Best wine in the world

Lots of clients with $$ for my business

But we pay a price for all that and to me it's worth it. 

 

I gotta ask. If you're looking to relocate for monetary reasons why the USVI?? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Chef Jim said:

I gotta ask. If you're looking to relocate for monetary reasons why the USVI?? 


Puerto Rico has some federal tax incentives  if you move there. The USVI has a similar type of program. It is complex, the USVI program is not as easy to qualify for, and we have only just begun to research it. 
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just Joshin

We purchased our second house in Texas because the kids/grandson moved to Texas.  We are legal residents of Texas and spend 5 months in NY.

 

The benefits are no state income tax.  Real estate taxes in my area are 1/2 my NY taxes.  Weather is good (the 100 year winter storm excluded) in the winter.  Not sure I could take the 105 degrees days in the summer.

 

I am in central Texas but would recommend the gulf coast.  You can be near the water and close to many social activities.  Austin is nice if that is your scene but real estate prices are high compared to the rest of the state.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ann said:


Puerto Rico has some federal tax incentives  if you move there. The USVI has a similar type of program. It is complex, the USVI program is not as easy to qualify for, and we have only just begun to research it. 
 


I’ve spent a lot of time in the USVI as well as the BVI. Not sure about the incentives but I do know it’s expensive to live there. And from what I’ve seen you’re either very rich or poor. Not a lot of middle class there.  I always came away from our trips a little depressed. But the beaches are beautiful. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

May be purely anecdotal, but I would take a long critical look at the USVI.

I would avoid that option, especially St. Thomas and St. Croix.

I spent a fair amount of time in those places due to work.

Some guy tried to run me down in a parking lot I was walking through on St. Thomas, shouting an anti cauc racial comment.

I was in a post office on St. Croix and when I got to the front of the line the lady told me me get back to the end offering an explanation that was racial.

Just a nasti vibe when away from contrived environments tourists spend a few days in.

I vacationed in the Carib frequently, and would never go there.

Though not in the usual direct path of hurricanes, both are in the area, and I would have zero confidence in their govs ability to respond in any effective manner or prevent crime outbreak.

Better, more friendly and certainly less hostile places.

Just my view.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/10/2021 at 5:32 PM, Ann said:

Hubby and I will be taking a road trip this summer. We need to move out of state. At first it was based on the New York State political climate, but now it is monetary... we need to find a state with no income tax. We are also looking into the US Virgin Islands.

Why do you live in your state? No income taxes? Lower real estate taxes? To be near friends and family? Did you choose your state for economic reasons? And if so, what were they?

 

Everyone's decision is their own, and certainly like with most questions like this no right or wrong answers.

 

We originally moved to Richmond from DC in 2004 or so at the height of the housing  boom . We had moved to the suburbs of DC, been there about 2 years and house value had just about doubled. Being city snobs, to me a suburb is a suburb..be it in Richmond, DC, DesMoines, Scottsdale, LA...all the same now. 

 

Had plenty of friends in Richmond, i worked out of house, wife could work in office in Richmond...so bought same house for half the price effectively...

 

so that how we got here...and don't think will ever leave full time. now, almost 100% due to friends...and lifestyle. Weare now in Richmond City,,in an area known for great food, restaurants, music clubs, theaters, VCU ..all within a 15 walk. 

 

But reasons why i like VA

 

1) Reasonable taxes..5.75% state Income.

2) Real estate taxes, even in the city are reasonable compared to places like DC and NYS... 

3) Reasonable politics..state is turning bluer, but enough red to keep everyone in check....

4) Like anywhere else, weather not perfect, but pretty damn nice here in Central VA. Only real bad season can be summer with excessive humidity...usually lasts at most 2 months...but i have been golfing almost all year round...with just enough of a hint of winter to make it nice. September through December is just spectacular.

5) Mountains, Beach, DC,  the Rivuh...all within 2 hour drive

6) IN RVA, get most of the advantage of an cool urban environment, without the traffic headaches, crowds etc.

 

 

My only thought now is looking at places in Buffalo to AIRBNB most of year, but keep for Bills weekends and a month here or there.

Edited by plenzmd1
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My wife and I didn't like what Georgia was becoming back in 2017. She said she'd like to move somewhere where either 1. that won't ever happen, or 2. that won't ever happen in our lifetime.

We absolutely love Oklahoma. 😉 I'm sure there are parts of the state that live up to the 'redneck' stereotypes, but that's generally not the case in the five main 'burbs of OKC or Tulsa. Quite the contrary, in fact.

 

  • State income tax depends on income (0.5% to 5%).
  • Property tax is 0.9% which suits us fine.
  • You can buy a mansion for ~$650K
  • Private schools are affordable, but just as good (provided you're in one of those suburbs)


The people are genuine, polite, considerate, neighborly and we've never felt so safe.
 

Edited by Mahoney
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/10/2021 at 8:03 PM, Just Joshin said:

We purchased our second house in Texas because the kids/grandson moved to Texas.  We are legal residents of Texas and spend 5 months in NY.


We love Grapevine. Pity it's so close to Dallas. 😞

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, Mahoney said:

My wife and I didn't like what Georgia was becoming back in 2017. She said she'd like to move somewhere where either 1. that won't ever happen, or 2. that won't ever happen in our lifetime.

We absolutely love Oklahoma. 😉 I'm sure there are parts of the state that live up to the 'redneck' stereotypes, but that's generally not the case in the five main 'burbs of OKC or Tulsa. Quite the contrary, in fact.

 

  • State income tax depends on income (0.5% to 5%).
  • Property tax is 0.9% which suits us fine.
  • You can buy a mansion for ~$650K
  • Private schools are affordable, but just as good (provided you're in one of those suburbs)


The people are genuine, polite, considerate, neighborly and we've never felt so safe.
 


One summer hubby and I were on a business related road trip. We flew into Tulsa, and rented a vehicle to drive the rest of the trip.

We got off the plane at 11pm, and everything fogged up. His glasses, my face, just everything. It was like a sauna. That was the hottest we were on that road trip which included Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama.
 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Ann said:


One summer hubby and I were on a business related road trip. We flew into Tulsa, and rented a vehicle to drive the rest of the trip.

We got off the plane at 11pm, and everything fogged up. His glasses, my face, just everything. It was like a sauna. That was the hottest we were on that road trip which included Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama.


Ha, yes, that sounds about right. I'm guessing it was early July to mid-August. It's crazy hot/humid here for that six-week period. Tulsa (area) has its charm. It's practically Cherokee Nation, there are hills unlike most of the state and those hills -- while they don't prevent tornadoes -- often minimize their potency. There have only been four (4!) tornado-related fatalities in Tulsa County since 1904, which is incredible, considering the opposite elsewhere in the state.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just Joshin
17 hours ago, Mahoney said:


We love Grapevine. Pity it's so close to Dallas. 😞

Grapevine is on my list to visit, heard it is very nice.  Hit Dallas/Fort Worth 2 weeks ago.  Fine to visit, would not live there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/18/2021 at 6:40 AM, plenzmd1 said:

Everyone's decision is their own, and certainly like with most questions like this no right or wrong answers.

 

We originally moved to Richmond from DC in 2004 or so at the height of the housing  boom . We had moved to the suburbs of DC, been there about 2 years and house value had just about doubled. Being city snobs, to me a suburb is a suburb..be it in Richmond, DC, DesMoines, Scottsdale, LA...all the same now. 

 

Had plenty of friends in Richmond, i worked out of house, wife could work in office in Richmond...so bought same house for half the price effectively...

 

so that how we got here...and don't think will ever leave full time. now, almost 100% due to friends...and lifestyle. Weare now in Richmond City,,in an area known for great food, restaurants, music clubs, theaters, VCU ..all within a 15 walk. 

 

But reasons why i like VA

 

1) Reasonable taxes..5.75% state Income.

2) Real estate taxes, even in the city are reasonable compared to places like DC and NYS... 

3) Reasonable politics..state is turning bluer, but enough red to keep everyone in check....

4) Like anywhere else, weather not perfect, but pretty damn nice here in Central VA. Only real bad season can be summer with excessive humidity...usually lasts at most 2 months...but i have been golfing almost all year round...with just enough of a hint of winter to make it nice. September through December is just spectacular.

5) Mountains, Beach, DC,  the Rivuh...all within 2 hour drive

6) IN RVA, get most of the advantage of an cool urban environment, without the traffic headaches, crowds etc.

 

 

My only thought now is looking at places in Buffalo to AIRBNB most of year, but keep for Bills weekends and a month here or there.

 

Richmond seemed like a nice city when I spent a few days there several years ago.  I know a lot of people who have moved to or are targeting western portions of VA/NC or TN/KY.   Lots of advantages.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Circling back to this...

We have decided a few things: state taxes are only one component of a move. All things being equal, it could be a deciding factor, but it is not the deciding factor.  And above all, it is where we feel the most comfortable and happy.

Our trips right now include Ohio, Kentucky, Tennessee, and Florida.  And of course there is the devil we know in NYS.



 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We spent much of February in Florida.  Agreed to buy/build a new home, a verbal agreement with builder pending getting contract done.  Builder dragged feet on the contract and ultimately raised the price $35K and then told us sorry, we are sold out, can't execute a contract now as material costs are nuts.  We still have a hold on the lot and are trying to get it done, but doubtful for now so we are starting from scratch.  Prices in the area we're looking are literally 20% higher or more than a year ago.   It's a crazy market all over the state.  We'll probably slow this process down in hopes that the market in 2023 has more availability.  Decided to rent a place down there next year.  We'll probably have a 2 state solution or a few years before making something south permanent. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Ninety-4 said:

Decided to rent a place down there next year.  We'll probably have a 2 state solution or a few years before making something south permanent. 


Smart. We moved to our state at the start of the pandemic and decided to rent for a year. We came very close to buying a house, but the market is ridiculously inflated. When the crash comes – and it WILL come – we'll re-evaluate. We'll likely buy it from some schmuck who outbid 20 others for a house he couldn't afford in the first place.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use, Privacy Policy, We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue., Guidelines