Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Why Move to Your State?

Ann

On 4/11/2021 at 10:11 PM, Mahoney said:

Smart. We moved to our state at the start of the pandemic and decided to rent for a year. We came very close to buying a house, but the market is ridiculously inflated. When the crash comes – and it WILL come – we'll re-evaluate. We'll likely buy it from some schmuck who outbid 20 others for a house he couldn't afford in the first place.

just to plat devils advocate...problem with that is if mortgage rates go back up to say 4%...

When we purchased house last August...considerations were like this

1) We wanted to move into the city...as @Ann says first consideration has to be where you are happy.

2) We prolly paid a small pandemic" premium...but not much

3) But we got a mortgage at 2.625%

4) And yep, i took max mortgage at that rate..they want to give me money, i will take it

bout a $400 a month difference for us at our rate and if rates go back to 4%..and I agree housing prices will ease as soon as rates start to rise...  thats the trick..timing that sucker righT!

In the end, thrilled we made the move when we did.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The last few weeks in our search for somewhere to move we have hit (the metro areas):

Columbus, OH
Louisville, KY
Lexington, KY
Metro-Nashville, TN (hubby's idea)
Murfreesboro, TN
Chattanooga, TN, 
Knoxville, TN

We like Columbus, but are not looking for a big city (although it has Tim Hortons PLUS Giordano's!).
I loved Louisville, hubby not-so-much.
Lexington was a meh for both of us. If we had horses - or liked horses - it would be #1 on the list.

Metro-Nashville... no way, Jose. 
Murfreesboro ... no way, Jose.

LOVED Chattanooga, but do not plan on living in a city and the road-system is underbuilt. 

Knoxville - I liked it very much. I am sure I could get Hubby onboard.  

We also have a trip to South Carolina + Florida to make before deciding if anywhere is worth a month' stay to see if we like the area to live in.

• Cheers 2

Billsandhorns
5 hours ago, Ann said:

The last few weeks in our search for somewhere to move we have hit (the metro areas):

Columbus, OH
Louisville, KY
Lexington, KY
Murfreesboro, TN
Chattanooga, TN, 
Knoxville, TN

We like Columbus, but are not looking for a big city (although it has Tim Hortons PLUS Giordano's!).
Lexington was a meh for both of us. If we had horses - or liked horses - it would be #1 on the list.

LOVED Chattanooga, but do not plan on living in a city and the road-system is underbuilt. 

We also have a trip to South Carolina + Florida to make before deciding if anywhere is worth a month' stay to see if we like the area to live in.

I lived in Murfreesboro for 2 years a while back and consider it part of Metro Nashville, even though it technically is not

• 1 month later...
Alaska Darin
On 6/9/2021 at 11:38 AM, Ann said:

Columbus, OH
Louisville, KY
Lexington, KY
Murfreesboro, TN
Chattanooga, TN, 
Knoxville, TN

My retirement plans are "somewhere close to Knoxville."

• Like 1

Our plans were to buy a nice motorhome and travel most of the year.... Now I'm not sure but I can tell you I'm in Maryland, and I would never recommend retiring here. I have friends or family in NYS, FL, GA, OH, CA, NV, and AZ so when the dust settles, I'll start thinking those other options.

• Like 3

The last few weeks our search has taken us to:

Greenville, SC
Pensacola, FL
St Augustine, FL

Hilton Head, SC

We did a broad search of all of the listed areas.

Greenville included Clemson and other small area towns, and was Hubby's target. Pass.
Pensacola was a  pleasant surprise to both of us. If we can get past the flying cockroaches...
St. Augustine was our default landing spot. We had owned a condo for years in one of the nearby beach communities  (unincorporated St John's County) and know the area well. We had not been there since 2018, and my husband felt it was necessary to see how much it had changed, as long as we were driving around northern Florida.  The problem (for us) is not only are prices insane, Florida motorways (from streets to interstate) are all under-built. This area is no exception.  Combined with being a tourist town (positives and negatives), all the building, building, building has leached the charm out. We have crossed it off our list. :cry:
Hilton Head Island and the surrounding areas are absolutely beautiful. And, not for us.

We are heading to New Hampshire soon. While colder than Buffalo, I have family in Concord and Manchester, so in light of their getting rid of the dividend and interest state tax (like Tennessee did, it will be a multi-year 1% removal), we figured, "Why not take a look?"

• Like 1

We finished our tour of New Hampshire. It makes the list as a runner up. We have decided to further check out Knoxville and further check out Pensacola. If neither spot resonates and makes us want to move there (they both have positives and negatives, just like any city or state), then we head back to New Hampshire.

Truly the only knocks on NH are the snow (a bit less than Buffalo airport) and cold (quite a bit colder than where we live in the Buffalo-area). The winding roads don't thrill me either, but that will be the same in Knoxville.

17 hours ago, Ann said:

We finished our tour of New Hampshire. It makes the list as a runner up. We have decided to further check out Knoxville and further check out Pensacola. If neither spot resonates and makes us want to move there (they both have positives and negatives, just like any city or state), then we head back to New Hampshire.

Truly the only knocks on NH are the snow (a bit less than Buffalo airport) and cold (quite a bit colder than where we live in the Buffalo-area). The winding roads don't thrill me either, but that will be the same in Knoxville.

Just remember that this guy is the mayor of Knox County:

AVi9GQX.jpg

...and no, I'm not joking. His real name is Glenn Jacobs, and he is the county mayor. He's also, by all accounts, a pretty staunch conservative/libertarian, on top of being a multi-time WWE champion.

• Like 2

On 3/18/2021 at 6:59 AM, Sherpa said:

May be purely anecdotal, but I would take a long critical look at the USVI.

I would avoid that option, especially St. Thomas and St. Croix.

I spent a fair amount of time in those places due to work.

Some guy tried to run me down in a parking lot I was walking through on St. Thomas, shouting an anti cauc racial comment.

I was in a post office on St. Croix and when I got to the front of the line the lady told me me get back to the end offering an explanation that was racial.

Just a nasti vibe when away from contrived environments tourists spend a few days in.

I vacationed in the Carib frequently, and would never go there.

Though not in the usual direct path of hurricanes, both are in the area, and I would have zero confidence in their govs ability to respond in any effective manner or prevent crime outbreak.

Better, more friendly and certainly less hostile places.

Just my view.

had clients own property there

not insurable, at all

• 2 months later...

I live in southwest Florida.

Positives

No state income tax

Outstanding governor

Real elections

Great weather from October - May

Good restaurants

Great beaches

Bike paths

Outdoor activities

Very scenic in places

Property tax is very moderate by NYS standards

Reasonably safe/low crime

Negatives

Underbuilt roads. Not terrible, but should be better.

If you define a highway as a road without traffic lights, there are no local highways other than the interstate.

They assigned a lobotomized individual to the task of coordinating the timing of traffic lights.

Too hot during parts of summer, too rainy during other parts. Sometimes both in one day.

Rent is high. Cost of buying a house is going up.

• Like 1

We are headed out again soon. We will be spending a few weeks in the Knoxville area. I wanted to see how the University of Tennessee changes the area (or not) when school is in session.  We are also spending a few weeks in Pensacola.

Looking at real estate prices, you get a lot more bang for the buck in Tennessee. In Pensacola, pickings are slim if we don't want a condo (I'm not there yet).

Hopefully we can make a decision this trip. If nothing else, we have done our due diligence.

• Like 1