Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Why Move to Your State?

Ann

• 2 weeks later...

Florida won.

I really, really, REALLY wanted Knoxville, but the reality is I am not getting any younger and cannot see me driving those roads in five years, let alone 10 or 20 years from now. If we had moved to Knoxville 10 years ago I may have adapted and been fine, but I cannot see windy roads (with few guardrails) being my safest driving choice.

Now, we look for a home in the Pensacola area. Hubby wants a water view, and there is a ton of water in the area. It is simply a matter of our price-pain threshold.

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 2

On 11/25/2021 at 9:23 AM, Ann said:

Florida won.

I really, really, REALLY wanted Knoxville, but the reality is I am not getting any younger and cannot see me driving those roads in five years, let alone 10 or 20 years from now. If we had moved to Knoxville 10 years ago I may have adapted and been fine, but I cannot see windy roads (with few guardrails) being my safest driving choice.

Now, we look for a home in the Pensacola area. Hubby wants a water view, and there is a ton of water in the area. It is simply a matter of our price-pain threshold.

Congrats!

• Like 2

On 11/25/2021 at 9:23 AM, Ann said:

Florida won.

I was just down there two weekends ago for a Navy reunion and the Blue Angel Homecoming airshow.

A bit of hurricane risk, but there are plenty of places on the water in that area and Destin, Fort Walton Beach all the way over to Panama City.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sherpa said:

I was just down there two weekends ago for a Navy reunion and the Blue Angel Homecoming airshow.

A bit of hurricane risk, but there are plenty of places on the water in that area and Destin, Fort Walton Beach all the way over to Panama City.

We saw some of the planes while we were there (same time you were).  Simply amazing.

Destin is far too touristy for us, and we'd like to stay closer to Pensacola. The hurricanes are a concern, and Florida might be one of the few places where we'd suffer through a new build (the hurricane codes are updated constantly after Andrew).

49 minutes ago, Ann said:

We saw some of the planes while we were there (same time you were).  Simply amazing.

Destin is far too touristy for us, and we'd like to stay closer to Pensacola. The hurricanes are a concern, and Florida might be one of the few places where we'd suffer through a new build (the hurricane codes are updated constantly after Andrew).

Understood.

Again, there are quite a few places that would have water views, or direct water access along that east-west coast.

Being an ex Naval Aviator, I spent a fair amount of time there.

Pensacola Beach is the best beach I have ever been on, and having travelled throughout the Caribbean for years, that's saying something.

I have quite a few friends who live in the area.

If you go down there on a real estate scouting trip, make absolutely certain you visit the  National Naval Aviation Museum on the  Naval Air Station. It is fantastic; Smithsonian level, but cooler.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2ow0xQ081M

Free. 

Good Cajun food  as well, as it's got much more of a Cajun influence in that area. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sherpa said:

Understood.

Again, there are quite a few places that would have water views, or direct water access along that east-west coast.

Being an ex Naval Aviator, I spent a fair amount of time there.

Pensacola Beach is the best beach I have ever been on, and having travelled throughout the Caribbean for years, that's saying something.

I have quite a few friends who live in the area.

If you go down there on a real estate scouting trip, make absolutely certain you visit the  National Naval Aviation Museum on the  Naval Air Station. It is fantastic; Smithsonian level, but cooler.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2ow0xQ081M

Free. 

Good Cajun food  as well, as it's got much more of a Cajun influence in that area. 

We will definitely go. Thank you for the information!

We plan on flying (or driving) down a few times once we collect enough homes to look at in a week/weekend. If nothing strikes our fancy, we will sell here and do a short term rental down there until we find something.

2 minutes ago, Ann said:

We will definitely go. Thank you for the information!

We plan on flying (or driving) down a few times once we collect enough homes to look at in a week/weekend. If nothing strikes our fancy, we will sell here and do a short term rental down there until we find something.

Find a nice trailer 

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

After a lot of aggravation, we closed on a house in Florida. The moving trucks is scheduled.  :wave:  New York State, I will miss Western New York.

• Cheers 2

• 7 months later...
On 11/19/2022 at 8:24 AM, Ann said:

Large, fresh caught shrimp is only $6/lb at the farmers market!

"Anyway, like I was sayin', shrimp is the fruit of the sea. You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, saute it. There's uh, shrimp-kabobs, shrimp creole, shrimp gumbo. Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried. There's pineapple shrimp, lemon shrimp, coconut shrimp, pepper shrimp, shrimp soup, shrimp stew, shrimp salad, shrimp and potatoes, shrimp burger, shrimp sandwich. That- that's about it."

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Cheers 1

• 4 months later...
  • 10 months later...

I know a lot of people here live in Florida or are considering moving to the state. While not shoveling is awesome, summer sucks. Also, “no state income taxes” and lower real estate and school taxes can quickly be offset by insane insurance prices (home and medical) and HOA fees (about half the state has an HOA). 

• Cheers 2

• 2 months later...

Anybody ever come to a consensus? How about out of the country? I’m going to have to wait a few years for the last two kids to get out of school and get on in life but I’m thinking out of this country on a nice coastal area.

4 hours ago, Pete said:

Anybody ever come to a consensus? How about out of the country? I’m going to have to wait a few years for the last two kids to get out of school and get on in life but I’m thinking out of this country on a nice coastal area.

Panama is very popular with ex-pats, but it isn’t for me. Belize and Costa Rica are also popular.

Malta has a golden VISA program ($$$$). Portugal may still have one.

• Like 2

Crap Throwing Clavin
56 minutes ago, Ann said:

Panama is very popular with ex-pats, but it isn’t for me. Belize and Costa Rica are also popular.

Malta has a golden VISA program ($$$$). Portugal may still have one.

Ireland has one too, if I understand the definition.

I'd probably never stand the weather in a Central American country.  

• Like 1

Crap Throwing Clavin

At the Sabres game yesterday, I talked to two different people who volunteered they're leaving New York, because taxes basically prohibit them from ever owning a home.  

And while that's not a good random sample...keep in mind that I don't like people and never talk to anybody.  So a sample size of two people that I actually talked to is interesting.

My wife and I often talk about moving back up to WNY - climate, access to everything, we're more "small town" than "big city" people (and Lewiston is very nice).  But the talk never lasts more than five minutes before we get to "Yeah...but taxes."  And, of course, the bench warrant for not having insurance on a car I didn't own in a state I didn't live, for which I had a license suspended I no longer had...

• Like 2