Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Gardening / Homesteading

The Guy In Pants

RochesterRob

I planted corn both last Saturday and this past Thursday.  475 seeds in  all.  Last Saturdays run is already up and I hand dropped some fertilizer ahead of last night's rain.  Hopefully some plants with two ears to give 500 ears come Labor Day.  

• Like 5
  • Love 1

The Guy In Pants

Sitting here listening to music; Andy Kim "Rock Me Gently" just came on. It's Wednesday. Hope everyone had a good Independence Day. Not sure it holds the same value in the hearts of people in 2022 as it had in the past. Oh well. 

Bought some new shelving for the bedroom we are using as a pantry/preparedness room. Was on sale at Lowes. Spent most of the weekend sorting through totes and boxes of things. Got the food in expiration date order so I am always pulling the oldest. Looking pretty good and everything is easily found and accessible now.

I had forgotten I was saving dryer lint hahahaha! That's a lot of dryer lint. It's apparent that I do not throw out anything that may have a secondary use. I don't think its hoarding as the house doesn't look like the TV show makes it seem and I did toss a bunch of crap. 

Johnny Rivers "Swaying to the Music' on now. 

Planted a poultry free ranging grass seed mix in the grass boxes I put in the chicken run. They made quick work of the grass that was in there but they need their greens. So; I built these two boxes that care covered in hardware cloth so they cannot dig the roots up. The grass mix is coming up already and I was surprised. They are very impatient haha; they are trying to get to the small seedlings. 

The Spencer Davis Group "Gimme Some Lovin'" on now. 

I messed up with my zucchini and squash. I wanted to be a safe haven for pollinators so I went ahead and planted a bunch of flowers and plants pollinators like around the garden to promote visitors. I separated the squash and zucchini by a few raised beds but apparently; I invited too many pollinators who have successfully crossed almost every one of the plants with each other. I have been able to keep the vine borers to a minimum as I would remove the eggs and any bugs I saw each evening.  When we get a bigger property; I plan on having multiple gardens to keep plants spaced to prevent cross pollination. Most of my seed storage is heirloom seeds and cross pollination is going to put a damper on seed saving. 

Sugarloaf "Don't Call Us"

Anyway; hope everyone is doing ok. Bills related news is that I am overly excited for this year. I had purchased a 120 inch projector screen and a projector for outdoor movie nights. I hung the screen in the living room and I put the projector on the mantle and connected my streaming box. Talk about YUGE! I may be the only one sitting in the living room to watch the Bills but it will be on a massive screen lol. If anyone is looking for a screen and projector; Vankyo has a good unit for the price point of under $300 and the screen is a wrinkle free off Amazon and is about $20. I'll tell you this; the picture quality is great. Not 4K but HD for sure. 

image.thumb.jpeg.58e635cb2c83fc3f7962ef014931fdc0.jpeg

Buffalo Springfield "For What its Worth" closing this out. 

Take care everyone.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

• 2 weeks later...
The Guy In Pants

Hope everyone is doing ok. Not long before camp starts.

Each morning; I drink my coffee and head straight to 5 different websites for properties. I always check on the listing status of the one we recently were outbid on that hurt so much. I noticed it’s status had been stale for awhile and figured something wasn’t right. I messaged my realtor and asked her if she minded just reaching out to see what the delay was. Big news; there is a possibility they original buyers can’t close. We just signed docs to be the second in line. Meaning, if they legit can’t, it’s ours. 

I’m trying to contain my excitement but we revisited our notepad with all the things we wanted to do. Fingers crossed but if it doesn’t happen; I need to realize it’s probably for a reason and not let myself get agitated. 

I picked up a trailer of heat treated pallets. Going to start building the stuff Im going to try and sell at a farmers market. Excited a little lol

• Like 3
  • Cheers 2
  • Love 1

The Guy In Pants

Had the chicken coop cleaned by 6. For the tractor out and took a bunch of pallets to the tree line near the garden and assembled a quick compost bin so I can keep it neat. Moved the compost to it with the tractor. 

I was under the carport taking pallets apart for my projects and thought a tree was falling. The cracking was loud and fast; I got out of the building in case it was the tree behind me; ended up being a large half of an old oak. Right on to the power line to the house. Bent the metal pole that through the roof to the box. Electrician came to assess and they’re cutting power to get fixed in a bit. We didn’t lose power so that was good. 

it was a large limb and landed right where I had finished mowing about 30 minutes earlier. Good timing. Ill cut it up for fire wood and fox the fence later in the week. 

Hope everyone is having a great Saturday!

• Like 4
  • Applause 1

The Guy In Pants

Well; they accepted our backup offer. Now we wait. What will be, will be.

Currently getting ahead of myself and setting myself up for failure again by laying out the property. I know where the orchard will be, planning to put them in this fall. Will head to the extension office and pick up a couple soil test kits. My wife's grandpa has an old PTO driven tiller so soil prep should be a breeze.

Owl Creek Farm is almost a reality! Wife and I discussed turning the work shop at the road into a country store. Feature local items for sale as well as our own. 

I'm sorry to be so excited about this and it's still not official. We are thinking back to two days after we were outbid. We were walking to the car early that morning and my wife said that her mom and dad were in her dreams last night and she felt as if the property was still going to be ours. They had known about our dreams of a farm. Unfortunately, neither her nor my own parents are around to enjoy it with us. It's so close I can taste it. 

Anyway; enough about that. Anyone here make soap with goats milk? Interested in information about that if you have any you would like to share. 

Happy Tuesday

• Like 2
  • FANtastic 1
  • Love 2

The Guy In Pants

Quick pic of the pond. It's bigger than it looks in the pic. Its about an acre. 

image.jpeg.e49f07e17c771b4816450e8784767eba.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Love 2

Jabba The Hutt
3 hours ago, The Guy In Pants said:

Currently getting ahead of myself and setting myself up for failure again by laying out the property. I know where the orchard will be, planning to put them in this fall. Will head to the extension office and pick up a couple soil test kits. My wife's grandpa has an old PTO driven tiller so soil prep should be a breeze.

Owl Creek Farm is almost a reality! Wife and I discussed turning the work shop at the road into a country store. Feature local items for sale as well as our own. 

I'm sorry to be so excited about this and it's still not official. We are thinking back to two days after we were outbid. We were walking to the car early that morning and my wife said that her mom and dad were in her dreams last night and she felt as if the property was still going to be ours. They had known about our dreams of a farm. Unfortunately, neither her nor my own parents are around to enjoy it with us. It's so close I can taste it. 

Anyway; enough about that. Anyone here make soap with goats milk? Interested in information about that if you have any you would like to share. 

Happy Tuesday

You know when you get signs, thinking both your Mom and Pops have some tricks up their sleeves! Hoping this farm is yours!:pray2:

• Cheers 1

Happy Tuesday

Good luck, I hope it happens for you!

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, The Guy In Pants said:

Nice looking piece of property!  I don’t follow this thread much, is this a home move or investment?  You going to be planting here?  Personal use or commercial?

Couple that rents the house around the corner from me has a small farm up in Sonoma and every Saturday in the summer hold his own little veggie market.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

Crap Throwing Clavin
4 hours ago, KD in CA said:

Nice looking piece of property!  I don’t follow this thread much, is this a home move or investment?  You going to be planting here?  Personal use or commercial?

Government use.

EPA owns that pond.  They own all groundwater.

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, The Guy In Pants said:

That'll hold a few bodies.

• Haha 3

The Guy In Pants
19 hours ago, Jabba The Hutt said:

You know when you get signs, thinking both your Mom and Pops have some tricks up their sleeves! Hoping this farm is yours!:pray2:

Thank you! My wife needs this 🙂

• Love 2

The Guy In Pants
18 hours ago, KD in CA said:

Couple that rents the house around the corner from me has a small farm up in Sonoma and every Saturday in the summer hold his own little veggie market.

Thank you! Its good to hear of the produce stands 🙂 such a wonderful thing for people to have access to it and support someone with a passion. 

New home site. Everyone says it'll be their last one but we hope it is. We have some big plans for it. We plan on using it for income and personal use. Keeping some of it in the agricultural program for tax (theft) reduction.  Somewhere in this thread I shared our website. 

We are pretty excited that it became a real possibility after being outbid. The property is beautiful. Still not 100% ours as we have to wait for the buyers to either back out or not close at the end of their extension. You wouldn't know that talking to us. It literally is all we talk about lol

Here's a shot of the back portion. image.jpeg.6c80f8b991278fb0f038f5bfe0203290.jpeg

• Like 1
  • FANtastic 1
  • Love 2

The Guy In Pants
14 hours ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

Government use.

EPA owns that pond.  They own all groundwater.

And each of them have equal access to my ass for kissing 🤣

• Haha 2

Jabba The Hutt

Thank you! Its good to hear of the produce stands 🙂 such a wonderful thing for people to have access to it and support someone with a passion. 

New home site. Everyone says it'll be their last one but we hope it is. We have some big plans for it. We plan on using it for income and personal use. Keeping some of it in the agricultural program for tax (theft) reduction.  Somewhere in this thread I shared our website. 

We are pretty excited that it became a real possibility after being outbid. The property is beautiful. Still not 100% ours as we have to wait for the buyers to either back out or not close at the end of their extension. You wouldn't know that talking to us. It literally is all we talk about lol

Here's a shot of the back portion. image.jpeg.6c80f8b991278fb0f038f5bfe0203290.jpeg

What fruit trees are going in?!:classic_love:

• Like 1

The Guy In Pants
4 hours ago, Jabba The Hutt said:

What fruit trees are going in?!:classic_love:

This is the list we had made for the best in our area. It's not final but what we could be looking at the following trees. I did read on this and chilling hours of 750 and above are recommended so may have more options. 

Apples

Pears

Plums

Peaches

Pecans

Persimmons

Apparently, the "P" trees dominate

Edited by The Guy In Pants
  • Cheers 2

The Guy In Pants

😐

Welp; called to get an update on the home we had priced out last year and the builder told me……

……..so this is anger? 

Jabba The Hutt
5 hours ago, The Guy In Pants said:

This is the list we had made for the best in our area. It's not final but what we could be looking at the following trees. I did read on this and chilling hours of 750 and above are recommended so may have more options. 

Apples

Pears

Plums

Peaches

Pecans

Persimmons

Apparently, the "P" trees dominate

Don't forget cherries!:classic_love:

• Like 1