Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Gardening / Homesteading

The Guy In Pants

CarpetCrawler
16 hours ago, The Guy In Pants said:

Must just be a coincidence that I can't find this when using Google; but found it with no issue; top of the search with another search engine https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33191178/

Pretty interesting

Very interesting how the beast feeds itself and thrives while we all suffer.

• Angry 1

The Guy In Pants
11 hours ago, CarpetCrawler said:

Very interesting how the beast feeds itself and thrives while we all suffer.

The passiveness of the human in 2023 against obvious manipulation and bullshit from "leaders" just blows my mind.

Edited by The Guy In Pants
  • Cheers 2

The Guy In Pants

My hen had her follow up with the vet yesterday. Some people asked me why I would waste my time with the vet for a chicken. To me its a combination of things. First; I have a good chunk of money involved in keeping them. I need to know if an ailment is going to spread flock wide or if its something simple. Luckily; she looks to be pulling through. She had a massive bacterial infection. She was on antibiotics and they put her on one more round. Plus; I have some extra for emergencies with others. Ended up putting the entire flock on acidified copper sulfate to rid them of any bacteria, good or bad. That ended yesterday so today its back to pumping them full of probiotics and good bacteria. Second; they're mine to care for. 

Yet another one of those things waiting on this land and house has snuffed out. I don't want to put a bunch of money into the run and coop if I am just having to move it 5 acres away. So; it's not completely covered and its dirt so bacteria thrives. I just tossed in tons of wood chips and sand to help ease that. 

Her grandpa called her the other day and apologized after he found out "his guy" for the survey was going to have to the do the same &#%$ing thing as they guy I found that he threw a hissy fit about. Only difference is; his guy still cant give him a date and the guy I found could of had it done last week but now cant get to it because of the work load he had picking back up after the short delay he had. He was nice enough to try and squeeze me in. 

Build sheet for the home went up yet again. Just aggravating to say the least. Her grandpa is costing me money and I'm not happy.

Edited by The Guy In Pants
  • Like 3
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, The Guy In Pants said:

My hen had her follow up with the vet yesterday. Some people asked me why I would waste my time with the vet for a chicken. To me its a combination of things. First; I have a good chunk of money involved in keeping them. I need to know if an ailment is going to spread flock wide or if its something simple. Luckily; she looks to be pulling through. She had a massive bacterial infection. She was on antibiotics and they put her on one more round. Plus; I have some extra for emergencies with others. Ended up putting the entire flock on acidified copper sulfate to rid them of any bacteria, good or bad. That ended yesterday so today its back to pumping them full of probiotics and good bacteria. Second; they're mine to care for. 

Yet another one of those things waiting on this land and house has snuffed out. I don't want to put a bunch of money into the run and coop if I am just having to move it 5 acres away. So; it's not completely covered and its dirt so bacteria thrives. I just tossed in tons of wood chips and sand to help ease that. 

Her grandpa called her the other day and apologized after he found out "his guy" for the survey was going to have to the do the same &#%$ing thing as they guy I found that he threw a hissy fit about. Only difference is; his guy still cant give him a date and the guy I found could of had it done last week but now cant get to it because of the work load he had picking back up after the short delay he had. He was nice enough to try and squeeze me in. 

Build sheet for the home went up yet again. Just aggravating to say the least. Her grandpa is costing me money and I'm not happy.

Putting together a real estate deal can be aggravating. It can be more aggravating when it is family and/or friends. You'll get there. :hug:

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

The Guy In Pants
On 2/8/2023 at 8:19 AM, Ann said:

Putting together a real estate deal can be aggravating. It can be more aggravating when it is family and/or friends. You'll get there. :hug:

This will be the first and the last time.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

The Guy In Pants

Not a word on the property survey. End rant.

Meanwhile; the crossdressing Uncle came to the house yesterday while I was moving furniture into a storage container. He was in tears because his son stole a bunch of his money from him. He wants to go back to Oregon where he can be himself but if he does; the grandpa won't let his son live there. I told him to stop wasting his life trying to appease everyone else and if he wants to go back to Oregon go back to Oregon and do what makes him happy; his son is almost 40 and will have to grow up some time. Push the bitch from the nest. I also threw in a "no; I will not rent to him."

Speaking of rent; almost finished with the doublewide remodel. A lot of this I have never done but it's coming along. Pictures below. A couple things I have learned:

A) I will never install carpet for a living

B) It really is cheaper to DIY

C) Its kind of fun but not really.

The countertops I bought on a whim 4 years ago. I was walking through Lowes and they had them on a pallet in the aisle for $20 a piece and the end caps were $1 as a closeout. I bought all they had. The color actually matched well. I am bad about that; buying shit that I may never need if its cheap. We used some in the house we are in now and used these down at this one so it worked out. 

Tonight I will put the shower surround in and I will be done will all major things. Told them they can paint it how they see fit. I am NOT painting under any circumstances lol.

My wife's parents cat that we are caring for but cannot live with us was living in their house still. We let him out during the day and put him up at night. Well; in order to make sure he's taken care of, I found a cheap old wooden building on marketplace. I am going to pick it up Friday. That's where he and the other feral cats are going to be taking up residence somewhere on the property. Not sure where yet. 

Garden will be started this weekend if I find enough time. Going to build a couple seedling shelters and I have some heat mats. Starting everything outside in them as I want them to get all of the sun. I drove the big truck today to pick up a bunch of pallets from work. I need them for a gravity fed drip system I want to add to another part of the garden. I have about 12 of the 60 gallon water barrels not being used.

It is so nice that my wife doesn't think I am crazy anymore. She did comment that it seems I always have something getting delivered. I do. I confess. On breaks I peruse the internet shopping universe looking for deals and "once in a lifetime" things. She says it's hoarding. I laughed and said "I am the material procurement and inventory department, facilities management department and laborer. You are the Human Resources department. Stay in your lane."

I am kicking my own ass though. Someone had shared in one of my groups about a deal on pallet forks for the tractor. They were on Walmart's website for like $200. I procrastinated and when I got around to getting there; the price was back up to $700. 🤕

The world is getting crazier. My life seems to be a jumbled mess of doing for everyone else and having almost no time for anything else. Everything seems to be speeding up and I want off the ride for a little bit. I just want to take the boat out on the water and just sit there. Nobody else. Just me. Sit there and just be. Try to let things go that I have allowed to complicate my thoughts etc. Don't get me wrong, life is good.

image.jpeg

IMG-1469.jpg

IMG-1470.jpg

69724132293--019C94EE-4568-4CA4-AEB9-57CB56C3AF75.jpg

IMG-1475.jpg

• Applause 1
  • Cheers 1
  • FANtastic 1
  • Love 3

Jabba The Hutt

Not a word on the property survey. End rant.

Meanwhile; the crossdressing Uncle came to the house yesterday while I was moving furniture into a storage container. He was in tears because his son stole a bunch of his money from him. He wants to go back to Oregon where he can be himself but if he does; the grandpa won't let his son live there. I told him to stop wasting his life trying to appease everyone else and if he wants to go back to Oregon go back to Oregon and do what makes him happy; his son is almost 40 and will have to grow up some time. Push the bitch from the nest. I also threw in a "no; I will not rent to him."

Speaking of rent; almost finished with the doublewide remodel. A lot of this I have never done but it's coming along. Pictures below. A couple things I have learned:

A) I will never install carpet for a living

B) It really is cheaper to DIY

C) Its kind of fun but not really.

The countertops I bought on a whim 4 years ago. I was walking through Lowes and they had them on a pallet in the aisle for $20 a piece and the end caps were $1 as a closeout. I bought all they had. The color actually matched well. I am bad about that; buying shit that I may never need if its cheap. We used some in the house we are in now and used these down at this one so it worked out. 

Tonight I will put the shower surround in and I will be done will all major things. Told them they can paint it how they see fit. I am NOT painting under any circumstances lol.

My wife's parents cat that we are caring for but cannot live with us was living in their house still. We let him out during the day and put him up at night. Well; in order to make sure he's taken care of, I found a cheap old wooden building on marketplace. I am going to pick it up Friday. That's where he and the other feral cats are going to be taking up residence somewhere on the property. Not sure where yet. 

Garden will be started this weekend if I find enough time. Going to build a couple seedling shelters and I have some heat mats. Starting everything outside in them as I want them to get all of the sun. I drove the big truck today to pick up a bunch of pallets from work. I need them for a gravity fed drip system I want to add to another part of the garden. I have about 12 of the 60 gallon water barrels not being used.

It is so nice that my wife doesn't think I am crazy anymore. She did comment that it seems I always have something getting delivered. I do. I confess. On breaks I peruse the internet shopping universe looking for deals and "once in a lifetime" things. She says it's hoarding. I laughed and said "I am the material procurement and inventory department, facilities management department and laborer. You are the Human Resources department. Stay in your lane."

I am kicking my own ass though. Someone had shared in one of my groups about a deal on pallet forks for the tractor. They were on Walmart's website for like $200. I procrastinated and when I got around to getting there; the price was back up to $700. 🤕

The world is getting crazier. My life seems to be a jumbled mess of doing for everyone else and having almost no time for anything else. Everything seems to be speeding up and I want off the ride for a little bit. I just want to take the boat out on the water and just sit there. Nobody else. Just me. Sit there and just be. Try to let things go that I have allowed to complicate my thoughts etc. Don't get me wrong, life is good.

image.jpeg

IMG-1469.jpg

IMG-1470.jpg

69724132293--019C94EE-4568-4CA4-AEB9-57CB56C3AF75.jpg

IMG-1475.jpg

Push the bitch from the nest!:classic_laugh:

• Haha 2

It is always good when one's spouse doesn't think they are nuts. 😛

OMG! If my husband reads that job title, I am coming for you to kick your butt. :censored:

Everything looks beautiful! You do nice work. I cannot believe you installed your own carpet. That is one thing I never would attempt. Congratulations! It will all be over soon. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

The Guy In Pants
3 hours ago, Jabba The Hutt said:

Push the bitch from the nest!:classic_laugh:

Only thing that came to my mind at the time. 

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

The Guy In Pants
2 hours ago, Ann said:

It is always good when one's spouse doesn't think they are nuts. 😛

OMG! If my husband reads that job title, I am coming for you to kick your butt. :censored:

Everything looks beautiful! You do nice work. I cannot believe you installed your own carpet. That is one thing I never would attempt. Congratulations! It will all be over soon. 

Thank you! YouTube DIY carpet videos and a cheap Harbor Freight carpet stretcher. The first room was aggrevating. By the 3rd it wasn't so bad. Seeing what they used to assemble this home in 1984 makes me sick. The interior walls are literally 1x3's. Can't even call them studs. Had to get creative with hanging the kitchen cabinets on the walls. Of course; bathroom vanities are uber expensive and the size I needed was custom. Had to replace the floor under the old one so found a kitchen sink base that was 1 inch too short for the space but added a trim piece on both sides and threw the same countertop on it. total price for vanity and sink was less than $400. The cabinets and laminate flooring were the big money but much less than it could of been thanks to my wife's keen "its clearance but its functional" eye. 

I went to Walmart on lunch and they had these 20inch deep, 24 inch diameter planters that look like old barrels for $11 a piece! I would have been foolish to leave them. Scooped them up for the garden. Also purchased some companion flowers. My Rareseeds.com order arrives today. I took tomorrow off of work and I plan to get a few new garden beds in even though it will be raining. 

• Like 3

Jabba The Hutt
3 hours ago, The Guy In Pants said:

Only thing that came to my mind at the time. 

Looks like you do great work like @Annsaid. Your family is lucky to have such a kind, helpful and resourceful person putting up with their bullshit whether they see it or not. Take some time for yourself when you can, hate to have you get burned out.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

The Guy In Pants
On 2/16/2023 at 3:07 PM, Jabba The Hutt said:

Looks like you do great work like @Annsaid. Your family is lucky to have such a kind, helpful and resourceful person putting up with their bullshit whether they see it or not. Take some time for yourself when you can, hate to have you get burned out.

Appreciate it and looking to be left alone and in the garden today lol

• Love 2

The Guy In Pants

I took the day off Friday. Wife and I went to breakfast and then I loaded the sick hen in the box and took her back to the vet to be euthanized. She wasn't getting better and was obviously in pain. They did not charge me and will let me know if they find a cause with a necropsy. My wife wants more chickens 🙄. I mentioned I wasn't keen on more but we all know how this plays out. She will get her chickens. 

Saturday I spent the day trying to get insulation and paneling up in a small building we repurposed.

Found out the "surveyor" was on site Thursday to look at what he grandpa wanted. That's a good thing. 

I got the old "everything happens for a reason" speech again. Which is true. It does. Aggravating as it is. This delay may be a good thing. We reached out to a home builder that builds stick built. Not modular. We like the floorplan better. Also; the number of "upgrades" we would have had to pay for with the modular are included in this other home and a 2 car garage. The price difference is laughable when you really compare them. Plus; I get my wood burning fireplace. 

Sunday I spent the morning sitting near the chickens with my coffee. Was about 40 so wasn't' bad. Weather is breaking now. I finished my coffee and proceeded to work in the garden. I built two new raised beds. I am also trying something new; pallet planting. Some cool YouTube vids out there on it. Since this set up is temp; this may be the easiest way to fit a bunch of vegetables in. Maybe I mentioned it but maybe not. I found a guy selling a bunch of old windows and bought them l for a greenhouse. That seems so far away but It'll happen. 

My wife is a little concerned about what's happening in Ohio as well as the world in general. This week we need to go through the pantry and get out all the stuff that is a month or two from expiration and take to the local food bank to be given away. We will restock things we need.

Am I the only one who doesn't think this gets better?

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

On 2/20/2023 at 4:59 AM, The Guy In Pants said:

Am I the only one who doesn't think this gets better?

If you don't think things will get better, being self-sufficient is your answer. There are a lot of people here (non HOA) who have chickens and goats. Milk and eggs go a long way. Think like the junk yard guy in WW2 that everyone looked to because he had things that could be restored and/or repurposed. Trades can be as valuable as cash. 

• Like 5
  • Love 1

The Guy In Pants
20 hours ago, Ann said:

If you don't think things will get better, being self-sufficient is your answer. There are a lot of people here (non HOA) who have chickens and goats. Milk and eggs do a long way. Think like the junk yard guy in WW2 that everyone looked to because he had things that could be restored and/or repurposed. Trades can be as valuable as cash. 

You're right.

Neighbor up the road had a baby shower last summer and we had some good conversation. I knew that they were under the same impression of the world as I was. It's been pretty interesting to say the least; learning about them. They're "preppers" to an extent like I am. I think I have described them in some detail before but I recently found out something even more interesting and I am not sure how I feel about it. Apparently; the neighbor that purchased my wife aunts home is an agent with a certain 3 letter agency He and some other neighbors have already been discussing what to do should "something happen." I have not met with them on this but the neighbor who had the baby shower was letting me know the things that were discussed from how to prevent access to our properties to who is responsible for what. The fact that hes actively involved in this strikes me weird. 

I am a little apprehensive of the 3 letter neighbor. Not sure what to make of it. I would prefer to continue to keep my distance but another part of me says; meet up. The area we want top build is close to his house. 

But; they apparently are prepared as well. What does he know or is he a plant? LOL! 

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 2

Jabba The Hutt
23 hours ago, Ann said:

If you don't think things will get better, being self-sufficient is your answer. There are a lot of people here (non HOA) who have chickens and goats. Milk and eggs do a long way. Think like the junk yard guy in WW2 that everyone looked to because he had things that could be restored and/or repurposed. Trades can be as valuable as cash. 

You're right.

Neighbor up the road had a baby shower last summer and we had some good conversation. I knew that they were under the same impression of the world as I was. It's been pretty interesting to say the least; learning about them. They're "preppers" to an extent like I am. I think I have described them in some detail before but I recently found out something even more interesting and I am not sure how I feel about it. Apparently; the neighbor that purchased my wife aunts home is an agent with a certain 3 letter agency He and some other neighbors have already been discussing what to do should "something happen." I have not met with them on this but the neighbor who had the baby shower was letting me know the things that were discussed from how to prevent access to our properties to who is responsible for what. The fact that hes actively involved in this strikes me weird. 

I am a little apprehensive of the 3 letter neighbor. Not sure what to make of it. I would prefer to continue to keep my distance but another part of me says; meet up. The area we want top build is close to his house. 

But; they apparently are prepared as well. What does he know or is he a plant? LOL! 

#1 need on a preppers list should always be as many fruit trees as you can stuff in your yard.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Jabba The Hutt said:

#1 need on a preppers list should always be as many fruit trees as you can stuff in your yard.

You have been reading my mind!  I just had this conversation with the wife a couple hours ago.  I'm thinking about buying a planter to do my small vegetable seeds as I am getting too old to do it by hand.  

Edited by RochesterRob
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, RochesterRob said:

You have been reading my mind!  I just had this conversation with the wife a couple hours ago.  I'm thinking about buying a planter to do my small vegetable seeds as I am getting too old to do it by hand.  

Earth boxes are fantastic. I used them for years before we moved. I gave them to my niece not knowing how much space we would have for container gardening here. I tried the Home Depot knock-offs (city pickers)…. Pfffft. They are ok, at best.

I have grown tomatoes, green and yellow beans, cucumbers, peas, snow peas, lettuce, spinach, mustard greens, cabbage, bell peppers, banana peppers, Carolina reapers, jalapeño peppers, and more in containers. 

I did keep my Garden tower for herbs.  That I used for sage, thyme, and mint (mint must be contained). I had a big pot for basil (we use a lot).

Once the landscaping is done I will get back to it. Gonna be interesting to see what different things I will be growing in Florida versus in New York State.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

28 minutes ago, Ann said:

Earth boxes are fantastic. I used them for years before we moved. I gave them to my niece not knowing how much space we would have for container gardening here. I tried the Home Depot knock-offs city pickers)…. Pfffft. They are ok, at best.

I have grown tomatoes, green and yellow beans, cucumbers, peas, snow peas, lettuce, spinach, mustard greens, cabbage, bell peppers, banana peppers, Carolina reapers, jalapeño peppers, and more in containers. 

I did keep my Garden tower for herbs.  That I used for sage, thyme, and mint (mint must be contained). I had a big pot for basil (we use a lot).

Once the landscaping is done I will get back to it. Gonna be interesting to see what different things I will be growing in Florida versus in New York State.

Excellent suggestions but I should clarify my statement.  When I say planter I mean a mechanical implement to place the seeds into the ground.  I used to plant my sweet corn, peas, and beans by hand but the short springs we get anymore combined with my lack of time as of late means mechanizing the process.  Got my eye on something coming up for auction very soon.  A little big but the price should be right.  I would like to do peppers, tomatoes, and watermelon in boxes.  The ash trees came down last fall as they were victims of the borer.  I can do fruit trees near the house as the light issue has been changed.  I miss the ash trees (they were almost 60 years old) but their fate was out of my hands.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Love 1