Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Gardening / Homesteading

The Guy In Pants

RochesterRob
1 hour ago, Foxx said:

Bio-char is probably your best long term bet. I get my mushroom compost from my local landscaping company, cheaper than from a nursery.

Nice thing about being out in the country is that all those things are close at hand.  I just need to invest in a manure spreader.  

• Like 1

The Guy In Pants
On 4/2/2021 at 5:43 PM, IDBillzFan said:

Our garden area is 32x32, and when I'm done building the last four beds this weekend we'll have a total of about 18 beds. Part of the full area is fenced off for the chicken coop.

We just brought in our first truckbed of compost. My wife is the chef here, and she does equal parts compost, peat moss and vermiculite, the latter of which is expensive as shit, but she swears by it.

Hard to list everything she's doing, but it ranges from six different tomatoes, squash, zucchini, kale, a bunch of different lettuces, radish, broccoli, artichoke, blueberries, strawberries, huckleberries, garlic, and a bunch of different herbs.

We had to put the garden kind of far from our house for the sake of optimal sun, so once everything is built and filled, we begin the process of bringing water and power out to the garden.

It was cheaper for me to gamble on football.

It's expensive to get it going but if you can get it off the ground; it can maintain itself with planning. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, The Guy In Pants said:

It's expensive to get it going but if you can get it off the ground; it can maintain itself with planning. 

My wife keeps telling me the same thing. :classic_laugh:

• Haha 2

The Guy In Pants
3 hours ago, IDBillzFan said:

My wife keeps telling me the same thing. :classic_laugh:

It’s the opposite here; lol. It’s me trying to convince my wife what I’ve told you

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
Seasons1992
16 hours ago, Ann said:

Look, I loved Rick James, but my grandparents and his dad are buried there.......can I not get a shout out for them? 

They didn't do coke, which is a helluva drug......

25 minutes ago, Seasons1992 said:

Look, I loved Rick James, but my grandparents and his dad are buried there.......can I not get a shout out for them? 

They didn't do coke, which is a helluva drug......

How famous were they?

We took a trolley tour there and it was really interesting, as well as beautiful. 

Seasons1992
40 minutes ago, Ann said:

How famous were they?

We took a trolley tour there and it was really interesting, as well as beautiful. 

HAHA, only famous to the kids/grandkids. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Ordered my potting soil yesterday, picking it up today. I get the Miracle Grow stuff that is lightweight. My plan is to fill as many pots as possible with what I ordered, and back-in to how many flowers we will need. While I know exactly how much potting soil I need to fill the earth boxes + pots + grow lettuce in bags, I am not going the vegetable route this year. Flowers only, and therefore a lot of those containers will not be used.  I expect to plant a last summer/early garden provided it can all be harvested before November 1st. 

CarpetCrawler
9 hours ago, Ann said:

Ordered my potting soil yesterday, picking it up today. I get the Miracle Grow stuff that is lightweight. My plan is to fill as many pots as possible with what I ordered, and back-in to how many flowers we will need. While I know exactly how much potting soil I need to fill the earth boxes + pots + grow lettuce in bags, I am not going the vegetable route this year. Flowers only, and therefore a lot of those containers will not be used.  I expect to plant a last summer/early garden provided it can all be harvested before November 1st. 

I haven't tried to grow anything for decades, but I've been missing tomatoes that taste like tomatoes, so decided I would try growing a few plants in pots this summer. I'm totally clueless, but I did buy Miracle Grow Potting Soil, so I'm glad to know you use it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CarpetCrawler said:

I haven't tried to grow anything for decades, but I've been missing tomatoes that taste like tomatoes, so decided I would try growing a few plants in pots this summer. I'm totally clueless, but I did buy Miracle Grow Potting Soil, so I'm glad to know you use it.

Buy some tomato food (and use it), put nutrients in the tomato hole before planting, and watch for blight. Tomato blight in NYS is pretty prevalent.  Blight map. USA Blight website.

• FANtastic 1

CarpetCrawler
44 minutes ago, Ann said:

Buy some tomato food (and use it), put nutrients in the tomato hole before planting, and watch for blight. Tomato blight in NYS is pretty prevalent.  Blight map. USA Blight website.

I read Potassium is good for the roots when you replant. What would you use???

• Like 1

Just now, CarpetCrawler said:

I read Potassium is good for the roots when you replant. What would you use???

I use tomato-tone.  You can buy it at any nursery, Home Depot, Ace, etc. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, CarpetCrawler said:

compost everything green in your kitchen and yard

make your own soil

your plants will thank you

after you plant, add mulch / wood chips to keep in moisture and keep out weeds

• Like 1

CarpetCrawler
6 hours ago, Spartacus said:

compost everything green in your kitchen and yard

make your own soil

your plants will thank you

after you plant, add mulch / wood chips to keep in moisture and keep out weeds

Thanks, good advice, I'll read up on it. This is getting more and more involved, I hope the tomatoes are worth it.

(I know they will be)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CarpetCrawler said:

Thanks, good advice, I'll read up on it. This is getting more and more involved, I hope the tomatoes are worth it.

(I know they will be)

we grow them on a trellis as they grow 8 ft tall

when you put the plants in the round, strip off the bottom branches and bury as much plant as possible. Everything under ground will develop roots

• Like 2

CarpetCrawler
35 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

we grow them on a trellis as they grow 8 ft tall

when you put the plants in the round, strip off the bottom branches and bury as much plant as possible. Everything under ground will develop roots

I've read that about planting them deep, or even diagonally in a trench. I plan to do that for sure, thanks. 

I have the determinate type of plants that won't grow so tall. I consider myself a true beginner and that type seemed easier. If all goes well, next year I try an indeterminate type too because I understand the yield is spread out over more weeks. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, CarpetCrawler said:

I've read that about planting them deep, or even diagonally in a trench. I plan to do that for sure, thanks. 

I have the determinate type of plants that won't grow so tall. I consider myself a true beginner and that type seemed easier. If all goes well, next year I try an indeterminate type too because I understand the yield is spread out over more weeks. 

buy heirloom varieties that aren't GMO modified

• Like 2