Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Gardening / Homesteading

The Guy In Pants

IDBillzFan

Virtually everything is in in my wife's garden (still some tomato starts that need to be transferred) and pretty much all of it is thriving beautifully.

She did a hoop house for the first time to try getting some plants in while it was still code outside...kind of a first stab at the process...and that container is the weakest of them all.

Lettuce, kale, blueberries, strawberries, grapes, onions and garlic are crazy right now and my wife couldn't be happier given this is only her second year in the league.

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

The grass was cut Monday (6 days ago). There must be 1000 little maple trees growing in the backyard lawn alone. Damn twirliebirds. 

When I built the greenhouse last year, the wife didn't know how she wanted the inside fixed up, so we didn't do anything with it. Spring rolled around and she still was undecided. So, we used multiple tables and whatnot for work surfaces.

I was just informed that she has decided that she wants the work bench and the interior theme to be in the Steam Punk fashion.

This should be fun.

• Wow 1
  • Haha 1

RochesterRob
2 hours ago, Ann said:

The grass was cut Monday (6 days ago). There must be 1000 little maple trees growing in the backyard lawn alone. Damn twirliebirds. 

Funny that you mention that.  For years and years and years saplings were never an issue around here but now I can't turn around without seeing one.  Darn bastages.  I've been quite busy as of late but hope to get going on the veggies this coming week.  Shooting for sweet corn to have by Labor Day among other things.  We just don't have the Aprils anymore to have sweet corn by the 4th of July.  Some things just work better personally by going late such as broccoli and beets.  My favorite supply source no longer does plants such as tomatoes and cukes.  Darn.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Foxx said:

When I built the greenhouse last year, the wife didn't know how she wanted the inside fixed up, so we didn't do anything with it. Spring rolled around and she still was undecided. So, we used multiple tables and whatnot for work surfaces.

I was just informed that she has decided that she wants the work bench and the interior theme to be in the Steam Punk fashion.

This should be fun.

You MUST post photo of that when it is finished!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Ann said:

Anyone harvest anything yet?

Green beans and assorted herbs. Squash(es) shouldn't be too much longer. Raspberries are just starting. Blueberries look like they will be ready way before late July/early August.

• Like 1

On 6/18/2021 at 7:27 PM, Ann said:

Anyone harvest anything yet?

Mostly lettuce, kale, green onions at this point. Berries are almost there. Cabbage and broccoli still too early.

I hate kale.

• Like 1

RochesterRob

Should have around 225 sweet corn plants to mature late August/ early September.  I'm the only cabbage eater in the house but have several plants in.  Probably will work on some beans and peas to have later on.  I wanted watermelon but the weather was not there in early May to transplant.

• Like 1

CarpetCrawler
2 hours ago, RochesterRob said:

Should have around 225 sweet corn plants to mature late August/ early September.  I'm the only cabbage eater in the house but have several plants in.  Probably will work on some beans and peas to have later on.  I wanted watermelon but the weather was not there in early May to transplant.

How much a dozen for the corn?

RochesterRob
Just now, CarpetCrawler said:

How much a dozen for the corn?

Don't matter as it will go to family as a freebee.  My contribution to maintaining the family unit although somedays I wonder why I do it.  

• Like 2

Not watering for a day (or two :classic_blush: ) is bad when it is warm out and there is no rain. Plants need water. My PSA for today. 

• Cheers 2

CarpetCrawler
On 6/28/2021 at 11:19 AM, Ann said:

Not watering for a day (or two :classic_blush: ) is bad when it is warm out and there is no rain. Plants need water. My PSA for today. 

I'll be away from home July 2-6 and i need something to water my potted tomato plants.

Ever use something like this??

61alXba2T7L._AC_SL1181_.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CarpetCrawler said:

I'll be away from home July 2-6 and i need something to water my potted tomato plants.

Ever use something like this??

61alXba2T7L._AC_SL1181_.jpg

Not I.

• 1 month later...

For those of you involved with homesteading, I can not recommend enough watching the first season of Clarkson's Farm on Amazon Prime.

I never watched Top Gear, or any of Jeremy Clarkson's other projects, but was drawn by the idea that a dude with a bunch of cash -- upon finding out that the guy running his 1000 acre farm is retiring -- is going to return to the farm to run it by himself.

The first episode was funny as shit, and the rest were really good viewing. Dude is funny, but not afraid to laugh at himself, and the people he has working with him on the farm are some of the funniest damn characters you couldn't create if you wanted to.

Clarkson's Farm

Edited by IDBillzFan
  • Like 2

The Guy In Pants

I'm done with store bought seeds. They sell seeds packages in "heirloom" packets but I am not sure they are true heirloom.  I just ordered a bunch of heirloom seeds from two different sites. Seed Exchange and Rare Seeds. I am also assembling two different style greenhouses for the winter season. I am going to attempt my first winter garden. 

I am putting hoop houses over my traditional raised beds. 2 layers of protection for cold nights, but one main layer for normal use. I will add the second when needed for nights below 20 degrees. We usually don't have many.

The second is a stick built frame with various styles and sized old windows. I have been picking them up as they become available on market places and through word of mouth. 

Purchased 7 rain barrels. Going to be building my own rain catching system out of the gutter system complete with debris filtration. I've watched a few different people and how they do theirs but I am going to design my own. It will work out well as the gutter systems converge on the back side of the house and the covered porch that gets no direct sunlight. This will make it easy to keep the barrels dark and cool. I plan on tying them all together with PVC so they fill and empty equally. Each barrel will have it's own spout though. 

Really excited about these new projects. I've partnered with a family down the road and we have discussed a barter system with some other neighbors. 

In case you are wondering if it's weird to think that something could go horribly wrong and the supply/food systems fail us; just recall history and know that current events have pushed people to the understanding that we are too reliant on everyone else for what we need. I was pleasantly surprised when the Army vet refugee from California stopped by our home to introduce himself and take a look at all my homemade (thank you pallets) set ups and what I have been working on. He sees the writing on the wall. As do I. It is not hard to do the simplest of things to provide your own needs. It's fun and rewarding as well. 

If you are considering it. Stop considering and just do it. You don't need 40 acres to do it. You just need the time and the understanding of the importance of self reliance. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Jabba The Hutt
2 hours ago, The Guy In Pants said:

I'm done with store bought seeds. They sell seeds packages in "heirloom" packets but I am not sure they are true heirloom.  I just ordered a bunch of heirloom seeds from two different sites. Seed Exchange and Rare Seeds. I am also assembling two different style greenhouses for the winter season. I am going to attempt my first winter garden. 

I am putting hoop houses over my traditional raised beds. 2 layers of protection for cold nights, but one main layer for normal use. I will add the second when needed for nights below 20 degrees. We usually don't have many.

The second is a stick built frame with various styles and sized old windows. I have been picking them up as they become available on market places and through word of mouth. 

Purchased 7 rain barrels. Going to be building my own rain catching system out of the gutter system complete with debris filtration. I've watched a few different people and how they do theirs but I am going to design my own. It will work out well as the gutter systems converge on the back side of the house and the covered porch that gets no direct sunlight. This will make it easy to keep the barrels dark and cool. I plan on tying them all together with PVC so they fill and empty equally. Each barrel will have it's own spout though. 

Really excited about these new projects. I've partnered with a family down the road and we have discussed a barter system with some other neighbors. 

In case you are wondering if it's weird to think that something could go horribly wrong and the supply/food systems fail us; just recall history and know that current events have pushed people to the understanding that we are too reliant on everyone else for what we need. I was pleasantly surprised when the Army vet refugee from California stopped by our home to introduce himself and take a look at all my homemade (thank you pallets) set ups and what I have been working on. He sees the writing on the wall. As do I. It is not hard to do the simplest of things to provide your own needs. It's fun and rewarding as well. 

If you are considering it. Stop considering and just do it. You don't need 40 acres to do it. You just need the time and the understanding of the importance of self reliance. 

Baker Creek seeds seeks out real Heirlooms from across the world, a lot of them would be lost if they didn't source them. They never disappoint!

• Like 3

Jabba The Hutt

Just moved to Florida two years ago in July from NY.

Started grafting a bunch of newer mango varieties that are all the craze. Have a bunch of Jaboticabas going as well as other rare fruit trees some of them worth hundreds as seedlings and will become worth thousands as they get up-potted. 

• Like 2

My wife, ever in search of information, happened upon a group called Ladies Homestead Gathering. There are so many people right now who understand the importance of being self-sufficient, and the gathering is something of an 'iron sharpens iron' thing where people who are new to homesteading can learn and share.

One step toward being FULLY self-sufficient is to harvest your own seeds, which is not as difficult as you would expect. You can pretty easily harvest the seeds/bulbs/etc. from the crops you like and essentially eliminate the need to rely on others for the sub-par seeds.

That said, she ultimately started a local chapter of LHG, has about a dozen members so far (and growing quickly because of the number of people moving to Idaho with the desire, but little other knowledge, to homestead). She created a seed library put out at each meeting that is ridiculously popular; take some/bring some. 

As you noted, the seeds you get in HD, Lowes, ACE are not really the best options, so she reached out to a number of seed distributors for samples to include in the library, and the response was really good.. The places she recommends include:

• Like 3
  • Love 1