Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Gardening / Homesteading

The Guy In Pants

The Guy In Pants
7 hours ago, Jabba The Hutt said:

Just moved to Florida two years ago in July from NY.

Started grafting a bunch of newer mango varieties that are all the craze. Have a bunch of Jaboticabas going as well as other rare fruit trees some of them worth hundreds as seedlings and will become worth thousands as they get up-potted. 

That’s awesome. I hope to add more fruit trees to the list of mine. Right now just peaches.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

The Guy In Pants
4 hours ago, IDBillzFan said:

My wife, ever in search of information, happened upon a group called Ladies Homestead Gathering. There are so many people right now who understand the importance of being self-sufficient, and the gathering is something of an 'iron sharpens iron' thing where people who are new to homesteading can learn and share.

One step toward being FULLY self-sufficient is to harvest your own seeds, which is not as difficult as you would expect. You can pretty easily harvest the seeds/bulbs/etc. from the crops you like and essentially eliminate the need to rely on others for the sub-par seeds.

That said, she ultimately started a local chapter of LHG, has about a dozen members so far (and growing quickly because of the number of people moving to Idaho with the desire, but little other knowledge, to homestead). She created a seed library put out at each meeting that is ridiculously popular; take some/bring some. 

As you noted, the seeds you get in HD, Lowes, ACE are not really the best options, so she reached out to a number of seed distributors for samples to include in the library, and the response was really good.. The places she recommends include:

It’s great to be able to speak with like minded people who are local. I youtube the hell out of homesteaders. What some people can do with a little motivation is amazing.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, The Guy In Pants said:

It’s great to be able to speak with like minded people who are local. I youtube the hell out of homesteaders. What some people can do with a little motivation is amazing.

There are a lot of good content providers on Youtube. My wife prefers "Susan in the Garden"

because she's in our climate zone and has a ton of really good tips. LIkewise with "Growing a Greener World" with Joe Lamp'l. Very personable dude with a tons of good ideas and suggestions.

• Like 1

Jabba The Hutt
1 hour ago, The Guy In Pants said:

That’s awesome. I hope to add more fruit trees to the list of mine. Right now just peaches.

Mmm Peaches! Are you in NY? If not what USDA Zone are you in?

Jabba The Hutt
1 hour ago, The Guy In Pants said:

Most people aren't familiar so here's a picture of a Jaboticaba tree aka Brazillian Tree Grape.

Jaboticaba.jpg

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Jabba The Hutt said:

Most people aren't familiar so here's a picture of a Jaboticaba tree aka Brazillian Tree Grape.

Jaboticaba.jpg

I dunno, something just looks wrong there. Are you sure they're not polyps er sumfin?

Jabba The Hutt
25 minutes ago, Foxx said:

I dunno, something just looks wrong there. Are you sure they're not polyps er sumfin?

Lol, you would think so! It's called cauliflorous production, when a tree fruits from the trunk or bark of the tree. To me these are my favorite trees because they result in absolutely breath taking specimens. Here is another example, the world's largest fruit, the Jackfruit. These are tiny by the way, they get up to 100+ pounds! Love these trees. Great fruit as well!

Jackfruit-tree-fruits.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

This is my first time ever having grown something (cucumbers) that we turned into something in my house that has only ever been store-bought (hot dog relish) and dammit, it's amazing how much better my hot dogs taste today.

I should probably order the good dogs online to bring this full circle. 

Edited by IDBillzFan
  • Like 4

50 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

This is my first time ever having grown something (cucumbers) that we turned into something in my house that has only ever been store-bought (hot dog relish) and dammit, it's amazing how much better my hot dogs taste today.

If you like fresh relish, you would absolutely love some pico de gallo.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Foxx said:

If you like fresh relish, you would absolutely love some pico de gallo.

We love that, and usually make it fresh to use as we need it because it's not something we use a lot.

We just finished canning salsa and tomato sauce, and next move to roasted peppers and bruschetta.

• Love 1

2 hours ago, IDBillzFan said:

Check that. I love a good hot dog, but $85 to ship 5 pounds of Sahlens to Idaho?

Pass.

• 2 months later...
The Guy In Pants

Been awhile since I've been here. Life has been very rocky for my wife and I and things still are not back to normal. Near sure they'll be this way for awhile. Updates on my attempts at living a simpler life and providing for us on my own as much as possible. 

Just picked up my whole processed cow for the freezer. Took advantage of the .27 cents a pound turkey deal around Thanksgiving and added 6 of those to the second freezer. Will hit the homestead up the road for their chicken specials soon.

In the market for land now. Looking in the 15-50 range. I will not accept anything near sub divisions or anything that looks like it can be developed within my lifetime. 

The grandpas old ford and two old farmalls are on their last leg. So; I am also weighing option for a new tractor. So far; my research has led me to the Mahindra 4550 and the Kioti NX5510. The implements are attractive with the Mahindra. Big fan of the auger attachment. The sheer amount of fence posts I will be putting down validates that for me. Will need the bucket; fork lift for moving round bales ect. 

Just got my last harvest of winter greens. Going to focus on soil prep for the spring. Won't be long and I will start the indoor seeds. 

Rain collection system now consists of (10) 60 gallon food grade barrels. Also have 2 stand alone 60 Gallon barrels that I change the water out in every 6 months. Found plastic downspout pieces in the clearance section of Lowes for $5.00 box of 12 1 foot sections. Bought all they had. 

Picked up rolls of chicken wire from a local guy for free. Found an awesome limb saw someone suggested on a forum. Used it to cut some limbs for a camp fire.

Cooked Brunswick stew in a cast iron pot over a fire outside in October for the family. Made 5 gallons of it. Only had one small container left for us. Good and bad I guess. Tasted &#%$ing amazing. 

Lots of great Youtube channels for living simple and forgotten ways of ancestors before the comforts of 2021. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, The Guy In Pants said:

The grandpas old ford and two old farmalls are on their last leg. So; I am also weighing option for a new tractor. So far; my research has led me to the Mahindra 4550 and the Kioti NX5510. The implements are attractive with the Mahindra. Big fan of the auger attachment. The sheer amount of fence posts I will be putting down validates that for me. Will need the bucket; fork lift for moving round bales ect. 

8n or 9n? Those are great work horses. There is a reason they have been around for 80 years. Still many parts available for these and the fact that you or I could work on them is a big plus in my book. I don't know that you will see any Mahindra's or Kioti's around 80 years from now.

Used a Ford 9 and later moved to a 8n with a bucket to build a 13 acre horse farm. It requires maintenance and upkeep yearly but I don't know that other newer ones would come with a cheaper or easier amount of energy attached to them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Foxx said:

8n or 9n? Those are great work horses. There is a reason they have been around for 80 years. Still many parts available for these and the fact that you or I could work on them is a big plus in my book. I don't know that you will see any Mahindra's or Kioti's around 80 years from now.

Used a Ford 9 and later moved to a 8n with a bucket to build a 13 acre horse farm. It requires maintenance and upkeep yearly but I don't know that other newer ones would come with a cheaper or easier amount of energy attached to them.

The old Fords and old Farmalls (H & M) may lack modern features but are easy to work on.  They also have a very wide parts base versus newer tractors.  If you really want to go off of the grid the older JD letter series tractors (A, B, D, and G) had the possibility of running on a distillate (alcohol based fuel).  1950's and 1960's tractors are coming down in price especially in the low HP category.

What are you looking for in land?  Ground that can be cropped?  Woodland that can service stoves and fireplaces?  If in WNY forget cheap within 25 miles of I-90 either side.  Best to look in the Southern Tier and have some ground near a creek that has fertile soils.  Soils on the hillside tend to be very shallow and droughty.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

The Guy In Pants
20 hours ago, Foxx said:

Ford 4000; 67 I believe. The farmall's are both 1956. One is parade only tractor.

Won't be getting rid of them or stop using them. Just want something modern and and more comfortable in which I can get more done quicker. 

The Guy In Pants
19 hours ago, RochesterRob said:

The old Fords and old Farmalls (H & M) may lack modern features but are easy to work on.  They also have a very wide parts base versus newer tractors.  If you really want to go off of the grid the older JD letter series tractors (A, B, D, and G) had the possibility of running on a distillate (alcohol based fuel).  1950's and 1960's tractors are coming down in price especially in the low HP category.

What are you looking for in land?  Ground that can be cropped?  Woodland that can service stoves and fireplaces?  If in WNY forget cheap within 25 miles of I-90 either side.  Best to look in the Southern Tier and have some ground near a creek that has fertile soils.  Soils on the hillside tend to be very shallow and droughty.  

Thanks for info. Not in NY. I've drawn out my ideal property about 40 times as my wife and I work out the details. 

Ideally I would like around 40 total acres, 15-20 of it being complete wooded. Plenty of pasture space for her horses and cattle and an area for my workshop, garden etc. Would love to back up to a creek or small lake. But; the more detail oriented I get; the harder it is to find. HAHA!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Guy In Pants said:

Ford 4000; 67 I believe. The farmall's are both 1956. One is parade only tractor.

Won't be getting rid of them or stop using them. Just want something modern and and more comfortable in which I can get more done quicker. 

I understand.  What dealership has the best reputation for parts and service where you are at?  That would weigh large in a purchasing decision if it were myself.  The area JD dealer here takes pretty good care of me considering that I am not a large volume buyer by any stretch.  Had a loader cylinder that needed new seals ahead of a snow storm a year ago and they worked me in on short notice and it was on before I went to bed that night.  Don't know if you are going to attempt to bale any hay but it would be good to check required power and operating weight before buying a tractor.  Maximum loader height would be important for loader mounted post hole auger.  Anyways, it sounds like you have put a fair amount of thought into it.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, The Guy In Pants said:

Thanks for info. Not in NY. I've drawn out my ideal property about 40 times as my wife and I work out the details. 

Ideally I would like around 40 total acres, 15-20 of it being complete wooded. Plenty of pasture space for her horses and cattle and an area for my workshop, garden etc. Would love to back up to a creek or small lake. But; the more detail oriented I get; the harder it is to find. HAHA!

We've looked for that in three states. I hope you can find it (we did not).

• Like 2

On 12/15/2021 at 10:14 AM, Foxx said:

2N also.  That was the mid-40's tractor series that came out between the 9N & 8N.

Have one that we upgraded from a 6V electrical system to a 12V system.

Still runs very well & is pretty easy to maintain.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1