Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Bills Coaches and Front Office

Hedge

25 minutes ago, Sherpa said:

I'm not comparing anything to anything.

The Defensive Line is simply not producing commensurate with draft capital and real capital spent.

Whether run defense or pass defense, the line is not up to snuff.

Could be scheme. Could be scouting weakness.

We simply are not getting value from that unit.

Again, don't know if it's McD, Frazier or the position coaches, but it is obvious. 

In other words, the line was average.

Let's try this.  Would you have the same reaction to the D line if it was described as two aging veterans with diminishing speed, an undersized DT who gets overwhelmed by double teams, and the rest comprised of decent back-up quality journeymen?    That was basically the Bills' DL in '21, but because the unit was the highest paid in the league is what makes their JAGedness stand out so much.

I am simply saying that we haven't gotten value from this group, and you can go back to the Dareus pick.

While that doesn't relate to this staff, we need to see some reasonable return, or we need to look at scouting/coaching/scheme.

Murphy is an obvious swing and miss. Well intentioned, but an obvious error. 

This year will tell, and I am not willing to give the staff a pass because our to draftees are rookies.

The group is an obvious underperforming unit, and it needs to be addressed.

32 minutes ago, Sherpa said:

I am simply saying that we haven't gotten value from this group, and you can go back to the Dareus pick.

While that doesn't relate to this staff, we need to see some reasonable return, or we need to look at scouting/coaching/scheme.

Murphy is an obvious swing and miss. Well intentioned, but an obvious error. 

This year will tell, and I am not willing to give the staff a pass because our to draftees are rookies.

The group is an obvious underperforming unit, and it needs to be addressed.

That's why this conversation belongs in the FO thread and not the DL thread.  

DL has been the sole weak spot of McD & Beane's operation, with the best player on the unit preceding them both.  I would argue that Dareus flamed out largely to his commitment to the process, rather than his contribution.  The team still hasn't been able to replace his value in the middle, and has put up historically high rush yards against after his departure.

In perfect hindsight, last offseason was an abomination for the unit, because Beane paid high market rates for 3 JAGs, their first pick wasn't ready to contribute.  The decision to keep Murphy on the opening day roster hamstrung the team from getting quality help during the season, because they were stuck with his immovable $10 million cap hit.    There was zero chance another team was going to pick him up if if he was cut in Sept. 

TakeYouToTasker 2.0

Was watching One Bills Live yesterday, and Beane was being interviewed. The topic of vaccination came up in relation to getting to a percentage of the team being vaccinated in order that they can operate more normally, moving away from last year’s protocols. He was asked if he would make cut decisions based on players being vaccinated or not. He stated that he absolutely would/will cut unvaccinated players. I am now wondering if that’s even legal.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker 2.0 said:

Was watching One Bills Live yesterday, and Beane was being interviewed. The topic of vaccination came up in relation to getting to a percentage of the team being vaccinated in order that they can operate more normally, moving away from last year’s protocols. He was asked if he would make cut decisions based on players being vaccinated or not. He stated that he absolutely would/will cut unvaccinated players. I am now wondering if that’s even legal.

Great timing. I was looking for a place to drop this:

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...