Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Bills Coaches and Front Office

Hedge

Just now, Core Four said:

Rooney Rule candidate.  I doubt the Texans were serious about hiring Frazier.

They hired Culley who had a less impressive resume, IMO.

1 hour ago, Alaska Darin said:

I was his biggest cheerleader on that.  From a personal perspective, he comes across as a really great guy.  I just HATE this style of defense and think it makes winning big games against good teams more difficult.

I agree, it's weak, especially against running teams.  I bet they go base nickel vs NE, which they'll get run all over.  That's the defense Frazier knows best and is comfortable with, even though it is not applicable in all situations.  That doesn't matter to Frazier.  I'd imagine many teams can see Frazier's work as a DC and come to the conclusion that the game is too advanced for him.  He doesn't change his plan or adapt to the opponent and what they're doing.  There is a reason why the Bills usually give up more points in the second half.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, GG1 said:

They hired Culley who had a less impressive resume, IMO.

That maybe true, I dunno.  The problem with Frazier is that he is a very risk adverse coach.  "Play not to lose" which you'll end up losing against better teams and coaches.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GG1 said:

Bullet dodged.  

Mario Cristobal leaves Oregon Ducks football program for Miami Hurricanes coaching job

Joke here is he has to make it past Utah in order to get to Miami.

Crap Throwing Clavin
21 minutes ago, Billsandhorns said:

But,  I always hear how much McDermott sucks as a head coach

They've got Meyer at 22.

That's basically tells you all you need to know about that list.

• Haha 1

Beer__League__Hockey
1 hour ago, Billsandhorns said:

But,  I always hear how much McDermott sucks as a head coach

Taking the ball vs. taking the wind against NE in the second half was the dumbest thing I've seen since that Maroone guy.

• Like 1

The Guy In Pants

I get on Sean’s case and pick on his clapping because I know he’s got to be just as frustrated as I am when Frazier and Daboll aren’t making things happen. He also makes some boneheaded choices sometimes. 

Daboll; chunks can’t out of here quick enough for me.

Frazier; not cutting it sometimes. Glad Sean steps in.

Edited by The Guy In Pants

3 hours ago, The Guy In Pants said:

I get on Sean’s case and pick on his clapping because I know he’s got to be just as frustrated as I am when Frazier and Daboll aren’t making things happen. He also makes some boneheaded choices sometimes. 

Daboll; chunks can’t out of here quick enough for me.

Frazier; not cutting it sometimes. Glad Sean steps in.

Let's see if Sean takes any action after the season is over.  Just guessing, Daboll is gone and Frazier stays.  Frazier is running the kind of D that McD wants, although in a very risk adverse manner.

Crap Throwing Clavin
6 minutes ago, Core Four said:

Let's see if Sean takes any action after the season is over.  Just guessing, Daboll is gone and Frazier stays.  Frazier is running the kind of D that McD wants, although in a very risk adverse manner.

I don't know if Daboll gets canned - he has had a hand in Allen's development, which counts for something.  

But I can't imagine they keep Bob Johnson (OL coach) or Kelly Skipper (RB coach).

15 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

I don't know if Daboll gets canned - he has had a hand in Allen's development, which counts for something.  

But I can't imagine they keep Bob Johnson (OL coach) or Kelly Skipper (RB coach).

McD has been pretty frustrated with the offense on multiple occasions this year, visibly so in a few of his press conferences.  That's why I think Daboll goes.  Has Daboll really had that much of an effect on Josh's development?  This year, he seems to want to get Josh killed.

I can see Bobby Johnson getting canned, too.  When 3-4 guys on the line regress that bad, something changed, and not for the better.  Between Daboll and Bobby Johnson, they still haven't got it figured out.

My guess is Kelly Skipper stays; Oline is the problem.  If the Oline was good and we still couldn't run, then I could see the point of changing the RB coach.

Of course McD will ignore the Dline and awful rush defense.  Leslie has this problem every year and that won't change until McD changes philosophy.

2 hours ago, Core Four said:

Suppose Daboll is gone. Suppose the replacement improves the Offence and we score like we can, 35+ points a game. Does that not in turn put the D in a better position already? Also, is it scheme only or are we concerned with OL or DL coaches?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Core Four said:

McD has been pretty frustrated with the offense on multiple occasions this year, visibly so in a few of his press conferences.  That's why I think Daboll goes.  Has Daboll really had that much of an effect on Josh's development?  This year, he seems to want to get Josh killed.

I can see Bobby Johnson getting canned, too.  When 3-4 guys on the line regress that bad, something changed, and not for the better.  Between Daboll and Bobby Johnson, they still haven't got it figured out.

My guess is Kelly Skipper stays; Oline is the problem.  If the Oline was good and we still couldn't run, then I could see the point of changing the RB coach.

Of course McD will ignore the Dline and awful rush defense.  Leslie has this problem every year and that won't change until McD changes philosophy.

This

2 hours ago, Fansince88 said:

Suppose Daboll is gone. Suppose the replacement improves the Offence and we score like we can, 35+ points a game. Does that not in turn put the D in a better position already?

How would that put the D in a better position?  Will it now be ok for them to continue to not be able to stop a good rushing attack where the opposition puts up 35 points, gains 150+ yards on the ground, and forces the offense to score > 35 points to win?  In my view, no, that would not put the team in a better position because there is absolutely no guarantee that the offense will score 35 points in each and every game.  The defense has to stop the opposing offense, both rush and pass attacks.

2 hours ago, Fansince88 said:

Also, is it scheme only or are we concerned with OL or DL coaches?

I think it is a bit of both.  If the scheme is flawed, the results are noticeable where the entire offense or defense lags as a whole or in a particular area.

On defense, we can't stop the run, that is largely a scheme problem.  The Bills have had a problem with that every year in at least one game.  Some of this is on player personnel, where a 1TDT and/or a MLB would go a long way to solving that problem.  Right now, Frazier and McD seem to rely on DBs to a certain extent in run D.  For example, the Colts game, Frazier commented that Taron Johnson was doing a good job in rush defense, which is why he used the nickel in that game.  To me that's nuts - why would you rely on a ~190lb DB to stop one of the best RBs in the game and outsizes most DBs by 30-40lbs?  Makes no sense.  I also think they make the LB assignments fairly complex and that makes Edmunds' job harder than what he can process - scheme issue.

On offense, as I pointed out above, when 3-4 guys regress as badly in a following season and the entire Oline now can't pass or run block and don't communicate in blocking assignments and hand offs which causes a jailbreak, that seems like an Oline coach problem.  Wasn't that why Juan Castillo was fired?  When the OC can't figure out how to solve that with short, quick passes yet relies on 20+ yard passes and an empty backfield, that to me is a scheme problem.

There is big problems on both the offense and defense, which I don't think they'll be able to completely figure it out before they play their last game this year.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Core Four said:

How would that put the D in a better position?  Will it now be ok for them to continue to not be able to stop a good rushing attack where the opposition puts up 35 points, gains 150+ yards on the ground, and forces the offense to score > 35 points to win?  In my view, no, that would not put the team in a better position because there is absolutely no guarantee that the offense will score 35 points in each and every game.  The defense has to stop the opposing offense, both rush and pass attacks.

I think it is a bit of both.  If the scheme is flawed, the results are noticeable where the entire offense or defense lags as a whole or in a particular area.

On defense, we can't stop the run, that is largely a scheme problem.  The Bills have had a problem with that every year in at least one game.  Some of this is on player personnel, where a 1TDT and/or a MLB would go a long way to solving that problem.  Right now, Frazier and McD seem to rely on DBs to a certain extent in run D.  For example, the Colts game, Frazier commented that Taron Johnson was doing a good job in rush defense, which is why he used the nickel in that game.  To me that's nuts - why would you rely on a ~190lb DB to stop one of the best RBs in the game and outsizes most DBs by 30-40lbs?  Makes no sense.  I also think they make the LB assignments fairly complex and that makes Edmunds' job harder than what he can process - scheme issue.

On offense, as I pointed out above, when 3-4 guys regress as badly in a following season and the entire Oline now can't pass or run block and don't communicate in blocking assignments and hand offs which causes a jailbreak, that seems like an Oline coach problem.  Wasn't that why Juan Castillo was fired?  When the OC can't figure out how to solve that with short, quick passes yet relies on 20+ yard passes and an empty backfield, that to me is a scheme problem.

There is big problems on both the offense and defense, which I don't think they'll be able to completely figure it out before they play their last game this year.

I agree with what you are saying for the most part. 

• 2 weeks later...