Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Bills Coaches and Front Office

Hedge

On 5/8/2021 at 9:37 AM, Hedge said:

Watching someone from the Bills get hired by the Panthers is like watching water flow uphill. 

Edited by Arm of Harm
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

ESPN article, Bill Barnwell. At #1 he has Sean McVay, Rams #2 Matt LaFleur, Packers (They have Vrabel - who IMO is this year's coach of the year - at #6)

Ranking best NFL head-coaching hires since 2017: Sean McVay, Matt LaFleur, Sean McDermott, Bruce Arians have cases for top spot

3. Sean McDermott, Bills
Previous job: Defensive coordinator, Panthers
Record as coach: 49-32 (.605)
Playoffs: 3-3, advanced as far as the AFC Championship Game
Team record, prior three seasons: 24-24 (.500)
QB inherited: Tyrod Taylor

I'm including winning percentage before and after each of the coaches were hired as a quick measure of the change they've been able to enact within their organizations, but it undersells McDermott's impact. The Bills were enduring a streak of 17 seasons without playoff football before he arrived, and since then they've made the postseason four times in five years.

I genuinely think the first of those appearances was essentially by accident, as a rebuilding Bills team benched Taylor for Nathan Peterman late in the season, only for Peterman to immediately cede the job back to the incumbent. Taylor led a win over the Chiefs, and the Bills got help from the Bengals to make an unlikely trip into the postseason, where they lost to the Jaguars.

That team McDermott inherited was basically vaporized; the Bills have been rebuilt in the image of McDermott and fellow Panthers product Brandon Beane, who was hired as the team's general manager in 2017. Virtually everybody from the Rex Ryan and Doug Whaley regime was excised in a matter of two years, with the Bills finding ways to add talent through any and all avenues. Obviously, selecting Josh Allen was much maligned by many at the time (including me), but that has turned out to be an absolute masterstroke. Allen is quite clearly the team's successor to Jim Kelly, a player the franchise had been looking to find for more than two decades.

More than Allen, though, it's striking to see how many players leave their old teams and get better after joining the Bills. The heartbeat of their roster is the safety duo of Micah Hyde and Jordan Poyer, mid-tier free agents who have turned into the league's best pairing over the past five seasons. Jon Feliciano, Jordan Phillips and John Brown have come over and noticeably elevated their game under McDermott and coordinators Leslie Frazier and Brian Daboll. Even Stefon Diggs and Mitch Morse, who were stars before moving to Western New York, can say that they've improved after joining the Bills.

The next step for Buffalo and the thing that might push McDermott up the ranks to No. 1 would be a Super Bowl appearance. No team has a higher ceiling on both offense and defense than the Bills, who showed that off in their blowout victory over the Patriots last week. Regardless what happens this weekend, McDermott's transformed Bills are pretty clearly here to stay.

• Wow 1
  • Love 1

On 1/21/2022 at 12:28 PM, TakeYouToTasker 2.0 said:

I’m betting on either Daboll or Frazier to the Giants now.

Guessing it'll be Daboll.  If so, wonder if they change direction at QB and bring in Trubisky as well?

• Cheers 1

TakeYouToTasker 2.0
3 hours ago, Taro T said:

Guessing it'll be Daboll.  If so, wonder if they change direction at QB and bring in Trubisky as well?

If it’s Daboll it wouldn’t surprise me one bit.

• Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...
Crap Throwing Clavin
5 hours ago, Core Four said:

Seriously, Frazier second?  He should be in the bottom 1/3, easily.  How clueless is the media in this country...in and outside of the NFL.

He ran the #1 defense in 2001.  We may not like his scheme - I know I don't - but it was still the #1 defense in the league.  It shouldn't be surprising he'd show high in coach-of-the-year voting.

• Like 1