Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

New NFL TV Contracts Are In: $10 Billion Per Year

Ann

NFL completes long-term media distribution agreements through 2033 season

The National Football League announced today that it has signed long-term agreements with media partners Amazon, CBS, ESPN/ABC, FOX, and NBC for the distribution of NFL games, the industry's most valuable content, over television and digital platforms, as well as additional media rights.

With these agreements, the NFL has expanded its digital footprint to reach a broader audience while maintaining its commitment to keep all NFL games on over-the-air television. The new agreements will begin with the 2023 season and run through the 2033 season.

"These new media deals will provide our fans even greater access to the games they love. We're proud to grow our partnerships with the most innovative media companies in the market," NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said. "Along with our recently completed labor agreement with the NFLPA, these distribution agreements bring an unprecedented era of stability to the League and will permit us to continue to grow and improve our game."

The NFL's new media agreements grant the following rights to their partners:

AMAZON: In the NFL's first ever all-digital package, Amazon Prime Video has acquired the rights to be the exclusive home of Thursday Night Football across hundreds of compatible digital devices. The NFL and Amazon first partnered on Thursday Night Football as part of a Tri-Cast distribution model during the 2017 season.

CBS: With its new multi-platform agreement, CBS retains the rights for the American Football Conference (AFC) package of Sunday afternoon games. All games will be broadcast on the CBS Television Network and streamed live on Paramount+, ViacomCBS' flagship streaming service. CBS, America's most-watched network for the past 12-years, is the NFL's longest-running media partner having first begun televising NFL games in 1956.

ESPN: ESPN will continue to be the NFL's television partner for cable's most-watched series, Monday Night Football. Additionally, ABC has acquired the rights to televise two Super Bowls along with exclusive regular season games. ESPN+ subscribers can stream one International Series game on an exclusive national basis every season and the new agreement allows ESPN the opportunity to simulcast all ABC and ESPN games on ESPN+. The new agreement for ESPN covers 11 years, including a 10-year deal beginning in 2023 and a bridge year deal in 2022.

FOX: FOX has renewed its agreement to produce the National Football Conference (NFC) package of Sunday afternoon games that it acquired in 1994. FOX expanded its digital rights, including for its AVOD streaming platform Tubi to deliver NFL programming on digital platforms. America's Game of the Week has been the most-watched show in all of television for the last 12 seasons and the most-watched NFL window for the last 20 seasons.

NBC: Sunday Night Football, the #1 Primetime show on TV for an unprecedented 10th consecutive year, will continue to be produced by NBC Sports. In addition to simulcasting all Sunday Night Football games, Peacock, NBCUniversal's streaming service, will deliver an exclusive feed of a select number of NFL games over the course of the agreement. NBC first acquired its package of primetime games in 2006.

NFL NETWORK, the television home of the NFL, will continue to televise a select schedule of exclusive NFL games on a yearly basis.

These new media agreements provide fans with more ways to watch NFL games than ever before. Highlighted by broad distribution across linear and digital platforms, these agreements provide fans with the following:

</snip>

CBS, FOX and NBC will each televise three Super Bowls while ABC will carry two during the term of the agreements. The following is the Super Bowl broadcast schedule through 2033.

CBS: 2023, 2027, 2031
    FOX: 2024, 2028, 2032
    NBC: 2025, 2029, 2033
    ESPN/ABC: 2026, 2030

</snip>

• Cheers 4

Amazon gets Thursday night games, NFL nearly doubles TV deal

</snip>

The league took in $5.9 billion a year in its current contracts. It will get $113 billion over the 11 seasons of the new deals that begin in 2023, an increase of 80% over the previous such period, a person with direct knowledge of the contracts told The Associated Press. The person spoke on condition of anonymity because the money figures were not made public.

</snip>

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

NFL announces TV deals with ESPN/ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox, Amazon

</snip>

The agreement also calls for additional "flex" options to move better matchups into prime time slots on Sundays on NBC and, for the first time, Mondays on ESPN.

The ESPN package also includes the ability to stream games on ESPN+, as well as one international series game on an exclusive national basis. NBC, CBS and Fox will also have the ability to stream games they hold the rights to

</snip>

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • FANtastic 1

22 minutes ago, Ann said:

BREAKING: NFL has new TV deal - DirecTV out, Amazon Prime/ESPN+ in

</snip>

“This is an 11-year deal, with an opt-out after seven years – which is 2030, because the current deal expires in 2023,” Carton said, “and the Amazon deal is in the neighborhood of a billion dollars.”

</snip>

Sunday Ticket going to ESPN+.

I don't know if that is going to be any better.

I wonder if DTV will sublease ST rights to ESPN+ earlier than its contract expiration in '23.   Other option is to expand availability to ATT TV.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ann said:

Looks like I'm gonna sign up for ESPN+. That's one way for Disney to get you to take the Disney/ESPN+/Hulu bundle. :classic_dry:

espn.JPG

According to that Tweet, there is just the one exclusive game broadcast yearly. It would be hard for me to sign up for ESPN+ just for that one game.

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Foxx said:

According to that Tweet, there is just the one exclusive game broadcast yearly. It would be hard for me to sign up for ESPN+ just for that one game.

2023 (we travel)

• Cheers 1

Roger Goodell
49 minutes ago, Ann said:

BREAKING: NFL has new TV deal - DirecTV out, Amazon Prime/ESPN+ in

</snip>

“This is an 11-year deal, with an opt-out after seven years – which is 2030, because the current deal expires in 2023,” Carton said, “and the Amazon deal is in the neighborhood of a billion dollars.”

</snip>

I'm the Man.

• Like 1
  • Angry 1

2 hours ago, Foxx said:

Sunday Ticket going to ESPN+.

I don't know if that is going to be any better.

It won't, from a cost standpoint. With DirecTV, you had a choice of telling DirecTV you would dump their service if they didn't cut you a deal.

What leverage do you have with ESPN? I'll stop watching you? I stopped watching ESPN years ago except for NFL games and ESPN The Ocho because if you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball.

Get ready to pay out the ass to watch football.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ann said:

Looks like I'm gonna sign up for ESPN+. That's one way for Disney to get you to take the Disney/ESPN+/Hulu bundle. :classic_dry:

espn.JPG

I posted in a thread over at TBD how to use CBS All Access, now Paramount+ to watch all the Bills games on CBS during the season. There are only 1 or 2 on NBC (home against NFC opponent) unless they flex more this year. Has to do with changing the Geolocation on your computer and as far as I can tell, perfectly legal... Anyway, remind me as season approaches next year and I'll go over it again. 6 bucks a month is a lot less than I'm seeing for ESPN+

Edited by Cinga
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Cinga said:

I posted in a thread over at TBD how to use CBS All Access, now Paramount+ to watch all the Bills games on CBS during the season. There are only 1 or 2 on NBC (home against NFC opponent) unless they flex more this year. Has to do with changing the Geolocation on your computer and as far as I can tell, perfectly legal... Anyway, remind me as season approaches next year and I'll go over it again. 6 bucks a month is a lot less than I'm seeing for ESPN+

We do have paramount + (cbs all access).

In Europe cbs all access would not work. When we tried a vpn,  it also wouldn’t work under a vpn,  so we have to get NFL game pass. 

I'll stream legally until they make it impossible for me to do so. Why they can't make it simple is patently obvious: they don't want to, because the current model is a cash cow despite the fact that I he networks are dinosaurs.

So help me understand: will these new streaming options allow you to choose which games you want to watch or no

7 hours ago, Ann said:

We do have paramount + (cbs all access).

In Europe cbs all access would not work. When we tried a vpn,  it also wouldn’t work under a vpn,  so we have to get NFL game pass. 

You don't need a VPN, I can show you how to do it yourself. I change the geo to the middle of Hamburg and works every time to bring up WIVB regardless of where I am at the time. After he tried it and it worked for him, @Just Jack added a list of every stadium geolocation in the AFC to watch any other game too. 

Edit... check that... I had downloaded Just Jack list and it is in fact every team in the NFL he had Geo's for. Again, as season get's closer I'll share it. Would do it now but it would just get lost in the build up to the season I suspect.

Edited by Cinga
  • Like 2

On 3/19/2021 at 5:50 AM, Cinga said:

You don't need a VPN, I can show you how to do it yourself. I change the geo to the middle of Hamburg and works every time to bring up WIVB regardless of where I am at the time. After he tried it and it worked for him, @Just Jack added a list of every stadium geolocation in the AFC to watch any other game too. 

Edit... check that... I had downloaded Just Jack list and it is in fact every team in the NFL he had Geo's for. Again, as season get's closer I'll share it. Would do it now but it would just get lost in the build up to the season I suspect.

That's my plan, repost it both places sometime in August so people can test it out during pre-season. 

• Like 3