Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Quarterbacks to be drafted 1, 2, 3 for first time since 1999

TakeYouToTasker 2.0

TakeYouToTasker 2.0

The 49ers/Dolphins deal confirmed several things:

- The Jets are moving on from Sam Darnold

- The 49ers are moving on from Jimmy Garapolo

- Three quarterbacks will be taken at the top of the draft for the first time since 1999

In 1999 the Browns took Tim Couch with the first overall pick. Philadelphia followed, picking Donavan McNabb second. Then Akili Smith was selected by the Bengals at three.

Trevor Lawrence goes first to Jacksonville. I think Wilson is a better player/prospect, but Lawrence has been the consensus #1 for so long that I don’t think many organizations have the courage to stray from that choice.

The Jets are all in on Zach Wilson, which is terrible for us. Allen/Wilson is going to be this generation’s Kelly/Marino. If they didn’t plan on drafting Wilson, they deal the pick to San Francisco.

The 49ers don’t spend that amount of capital for anything but someone they believe is going to be their franchise quarterback for the next 15 years.

So who is that guy?

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker 2.0 said:

- Three quarterbacks will be taken at the top of the draft for the first time since 1999

In 1999 the Browns took Tim Couch with the first overall pick. Philadelphia followed, picking Donavan McNabb second. Then Akili Smith was selected by the Bengals at three.

Trevor Lawrence goes first to Jacksonville. I think Wilson is a better player/prospect, but Lawrence has been the consensus #1 for so long that I don’t think many organizations have the courage to stray from that choice.

The Jets are all in on Zach Wilson, which is terrible for us. Allen/Wilson is going to be this generation’s Kelly/Marino. If they didn’t plan on drafting Wilson, they deal the pick to San Francisco.

The 49ers don’t spend that amount of capital for anything but someone they believe is going to be their franchise quarterback for the next 15 years.

So who is that guy?

Fields?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker 2.0 said:

This would seem to argue against doing this, but I am sure that you are right.

The Jets and the 49'ers (and for that matter, the Dolphins,) keep pretending that they might stick  with their man,

but no one really believes them.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, LB3 said:

Fields seems to have lost some luster. I'd guess Lance.

agree it's Lance

may even keep Jimmy G to let Lance learn

• Cheers 1

TakeYouToTasker 2.0
51 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

Fields?

It would have to be one of Justin Fields, Trey Lance, or Mac Jones.

None of whom scream “franchise” to me.

5 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker 2.0 said:

It would have to be one of Justin Fields, Trey Lance, or Mac Jones.

None of whom scream “franchise” to me.

Unless they think they can trade to #2? Or, they think the Jets stay at 2 and do not take Wilson?

3 minutes ago, Foxx said:

So, where does Darnold go and what compensation do the Jets get for him? A 2nd+?

Jimmy G to the **Patriots, for a 4th?

You think Darnold is worth more than Jimmy G? Now, granted Garoppolo has injury  concerns + higher contract, but he’s also a good QB. 

TakeYouToTasker 2.0
24 minutes ago, Ann said:

Unless they think they can trade to #2? Or, they think the Jets stay at 2 and do not take Wilson?

I would bet, dollars to doughnuts, that San Francisco tried to trade all the way to the top of the draft, and were told to pound sand by both Jacksonville and New York. The only way the Jets don’t deal the second overall pick for the absolute haul the 49ers came to the table with is if they are drafting a quarterback. The only two guys that fit that bill in this draft are Lawrence and Wilson.

It would be Jetsy as all hell if they did pass on Wilson, but Robert Saleh doesn’t strike me as a moron.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, TakeYouToTasker 2.0 said:

It would be Jetsy as all hell if they did pass on Wilson, but Robert Saleh doesn’t strike me as a moron.

Until proven otherwise, I won't care if the Jets hire Saleh or Cower or Bellicheat*. The Jets management will FUBAR everything required to make a new quarterback work.

Edited by IDBillzFan
  • Like 1

Just Joshin
5 hours ago, TakeYouToTasker 2.0 said:

So who is that guy?

Maybe Allen/Wilson is what you say but a few years ago it was Darnold/Mayfield.  Before that was Mariotta/Winston.  One of the first 2 will not pan out.  I would put my money on Lawrence to be successful and Wilson at risk.  Disclaimer - have not seen a lot of Wilson, much more of Lawrence.

• Like 1

TakeYouToTasker 2.0
1 hour ago, IDBillzFan said:

Until proven otherwise, I won't care if the Jets hire Saleh or Cower or Bellicheat*. The Jets management will FUBAR everything required to make a new quarterback work.

I think it’s a whole new Jets under Saleh.

The fact that he’s gotten the organization to move on from Darnold is indicative of this.

6 hours ago, TakeYouToTasker 2.0 said:

Ouch.

I always thought Akili Smith got screwed. We never got to see how good he could have been after the Bungles let him get destroyed by their crap offensive line and inept coaching. Granted, he may never have amounted to anything, but there was no chance to develop before he got shell shocked into retirement.

6 hours ago, TakeYouToTasker 2.0 said:

So who is that guy?

49ers' stunning trade shakes up NFL draft picture, but which QB do they want?

• Like 1

Alaska Darin
4 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

It’s shorts and not real football, but I mean... damn. :surprised:

What do you think Rob Johnson looked like in practice? 😁

Edited by Alaska Darin
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Alaska Darin said:

What do you think Rob Johnson looked like in practice? 😁

Exactly. Lotta guys look good in shorts. He's gonna have absolutely NO help from that organization, just like Darnold.

13 hours ago, TakeYouToTasker 2.0 said:

I think it’s a whole new Jets under Saleh.

The fact that he’s gotten the organization to move on from Darnold is indicative of this.

I have to believe Saleh knew he was the hot get for coaches at the end of the season, and told the Jets he must have carte blanche if he was going to move to NJ, but I still feel he would need to catch lightning in a bottle to fully be left alone. 

It's also likely I may just be filled with wishful thinking. I was hoping the Jets would ride Darnold because I felt they would become better simply by admitting they needed to move on from him.

That said, going into this I  have that same feeling I used to have when I was younger and bought my first new car, and a year later I watch my neighbor begin to buy a newer new car, and even though I have a kickass new car, you can feel the neighbor's excitement and be a little envious. Jets and Fish are sitting on lots of coins to get that new car and we used all our coins last year. 

Edited by IDBillzFan
  • Cheers 1