Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Bills and State/Local Officials to discuss stadium repairs or new stadium

Ann

With a revised stadium feasibility study in hand, the Buffalo Bills are preparing to open discussions with state and local governments to determine whether to renovate the current facility or build a new home either near the existing suburban site or downtown.

“We’re ready to have the conversation,” Pegula Sports and Entertainment executive vice president Ron Raccuia told The Associated Press by phone on Tuesday. 

“We hope to start quickly. Obviously, this is Easter Week and New York state is finalizing its budget. So those are two factors,” he added. “If we have to go to Albany or if Albany’s coming to us, or we’re going to Zoom, we’ll figure it out.”

</snip>

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • FANtastic 2

PromoTheRobot

I used to think a dome downtown was the way to go. Whatever they decide is fine, but I do hope it has a roof. I can't take too many frigid games anymore.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I used to think a dome downtown was the way to go. Whatever they decide is fine, but I do hope it has a roof. I can't take too many frigid games anymore.

I forget what game it was, but it was a controlled environment and I remember Allen talking about how much control he had on the football. You think this guy has the strongest arm in the NFL so why the need of a Dome that prevents wind, snow or rain. Josh Allen also pushes the football down the field more then most. The longer flight on the football equates to more possible change in direction over the longer flight path IMO. Buffalo also operates what most would call a finesse Offense which is going to function at its best in conrolled conditions.

I agree P T R, and while a Dome is more user friendly for the fans. Its also more user friendly for the Buffalo Bills QB and players in my humble opinion.  

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Figster said:

I forget what game it was, but it was a controlled environment and I remember Allen talking about how much control he had on the football. You think this guy has the strongest arm in the NFL so why the need of a Dome that prevents wind, snow or rain. Josh Allen also pushes the football down the field more then most. The longer flight on the football equates to more possible change in direction over the longer flight path IMO. Buffalo also operates what most would call a finesse Offense which is going to function at its best in conrolled conditions.

I agree P T R, and while a Dome is more user friendly for the fans. Its also more user friendly for the Buffalo Bills QB and players in my humble opinion.  

I would rather they have a dome than another open-air stadium. It will allow non-football use of the facility year-round, rather than just during the summer.

Additionally, freezing my ass off while trying to watch a game gets real old.

• Like 3

I vote dome as well. I think it will ultimately cost more than $1billion but in the world of monopoly money, that is minor and it may lend to us hosting a Super Bowl.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

I think a dome is a great idea as it will become more than football and an occasional concert venue. I'm not sure what the state or county can afford though. If it is built in the city, Buffalo can't afford poopie.

• Cheers 1

Just Joshin

Putting aside economics, I would be for a dome for a new stadium.  It would offer a different, improved experience.

If open air, then renovate.  The current stadium meets its objective: provide a nice place for football with great sight lines.  Yes the non game experience can be improved but the stadium meets its goals for football.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

51 minutes ago, Foxx said:

I vote dome as well. I think it will ultimately cost more than $1billion but in the world of monopoly money, that is minor and it may lend to us hosting a Super Bowl.

We had this discussion awhile back in another forum. If I remember correctly Foxx the city of Buffalo is not equipped with anywheres near the accommodations it would take to house and support a Superbowl. Although I'm not sure If the same would be true If the site for the Dome was closer to Niagara Falls where the Canadian side could help with accommodations. Coming from another poster on the city, but it sounded like he had done a thorough research on the subject.( I want to say Tasker?) My idea on the Falls which I feel from a recreational standpoint made sense. Although I'm not sure how it equates to the motels needed without an in depth study.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Figster said:

We had this discussion awhile back in another forum. If I remember correctly Foxx the city of Buffalo is not equipped with anywheres near the accommodations it would take to house and support a Superbowl. Although I'm not sure If the same would be true If the site for the Dome was closer to Niagara Falls where the Canadian side could help with accommodations. Coming from another poster on the city, but it sounded like he had done a thorough research on the subject.( I want to say Tasker?) My idea on the Falls which I feel from a recreational standpoint made sense. Although I'm not sure how it equates to the motels needed without an in depth study.

I can't speak to all the requirements, I just know that one of the incentives for enticing cities to build new stadiums is that they get a Super Bowl. Could we be disqualified by lack of hotel space, sure but what is the proximity to the stadium requirement? Might it be stretched in our case?

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Foxx said:

I can't speak to all the requirements, I just know that one of the incentives for enticing cities to build new stadiums is that they get a Super Bowl. Could we be disqualified by lack of hotel space, sure but what is the proximity to the stadium requirement? Might it be stretched in our case?

Seems like I brought up the same thing in the earlier discussion. If I remember correctly it was stretching to far to work. Don't quote me on it though. My idea was so we build enough hotel accommodations. On the other hand what do these motels do to support themselves. Its not like Buffalo is a place that could generate the visitors needed. Goes back to the Falls location. Might work there although the area itself has really gone down hill over the years from a crime perspective.

• Like 2

Alaska Darin

The entire economy is teetering and NYS is a complete mess.  Let's propose building a new football stadium!

'Murica!  :classic_dry:

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

The entire economy is teetering and NYS is a complete mess.  Let's propose building a new football stadium!

There are far worse things that New York State could spend money on.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Just Joshin
1 hour ago, Alaska Darin said:

In a rational world I would agree - the $ would be better spent on those who need help, real infrastructure and improving the business to increase jobs.

in the real world the money will be wasted so why not waste it on a stadium.  That will not be cost effective but not a total waste like a solar plant.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alaska Darin said:

Lets build new roads and bridges to take you there. Job creation. Life goes on Alaska Darin. Besides, haven't you heard the word. Stadiums filling to capacity in August. Josh Allen in a controlled environment is spectacular. Of course we can say that anywhere, but hey 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Just Joshin said:

In a rational world I would agree - the $ would be better spent on those who need help, real infrastructure and improving the business to increase jobs.

in the real world the money will be wasted so why not waste it on a stadium.  That will not be cost effective but not a total waste like a solar plant.

What would you suggest, more stimulus packages? 

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, Alaska Darin said:

If NYS is going to blow my tax money on something superfluous anyway... why not a new stadium? 🤷‍♂️

I detest Robert Kraft and his Cheating organization, but they’ve made their « stadium » more, much more than simply a sports arena. Patriot Place is the home of a dozen restaurants, offices, medical practices, hotels, and more. It’s a place to go to any day of the year - not just on a handful of Sundays a year. 

Think bigger Buffalo and Western NY. Six Flags anyone?

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

On 3/31/2021 at 12:49 AM, Figster said:

The longer flight on the football equates to more possible change in direction over the longer flight path IMO. 

That's a fact rather than an opinion.

The vector, direction and velocity imparted on the ball at release, followed by wind effect during time of flight is what determines where it ends up.

There are some very minor variables regarding spin that effect stability, but the overwhelming variable after it leaves the hand is time of flight.

Works for a football. Works for an airliner.  

• Cheers 1

Just Joshin
On 3/31/2021 at 1:15 PM, Figster said:

What would you suggest, more stimulus packages? 

Nope, not sure how you got that from my comment.

Stimulus packages, like most things in government, are misnamed.  We should give people a hand up, not a hand out.  We should not try to make a green economy, let the market create. We need to create infrastructure to facilitate investment, not subsidize special interests like Amtrack.

So I am not a huge fan of tax payer funded stadiums but if we are going to spend money poorly I would rather on a stadium than a solyndra.  At least there is some return on a stadium.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Just Joshin said:

Nope, not sure how you got that from my comment.

Stimulus packages, like most things in government, are misnamed.  We should give people a hand up, not a hand out.  We should not try to make a green economy, let the market create. We need to create infrastructure to facilitate investment, not subsidize special interests like Amtrack.

So I am not a huge fan of tax payer funded stadiums but if we are going to spend money poorly I would rather on a stadium than a solyndra.  At least there is some return on a stadium.

Just joshin with you