Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Darnold to the Panthers

PromoTheRobot

I really thought the Steelers shoulda traded for him. Ben is throwing ducks. Let Ben start, but have Darnold ready if need be and for the future. Woulda been a smart move for them. 

Let’s see what he can do in Caroline I guess. 

I will be curious to see what the next two years in Carolina does for him...

Ryan Kalil: Adam Gase's system didn't allow Sam Darnold freedom to develop

Many outside the New York Jets facility viewed Sam Darnold 's struggles the past two seasons as a byproduct of poor coaching from Adam Gase and his staff. The theory posits that Darnold is a talented player whose coaching staff never put him in a position to succeed.

Apparently, that isn't just a notion fed by media. It's a tale some who sat in the Jets' locker room believe.

Retired center Ryan Kalil spent 2019 with the Jets after 12 years in Carolina. He told Joe Person of The Athletic recently that the Jets' system held Darnold back from developing into a stable signal-caller.

"It was a system that didn't allow a lot of individual freedom. It was very, 'You do it this way and that's it,'" Kalil said. "A lot of the scheme was pre-determined (plays) based on what they thought they were seeing from the sideline. It didn't give Sam a lot of room to grow, in my opinion, to make decisions on the fly. It worked in some instances, but it handicapped him in the long run.

"It wasn't a system that allowed him to evolve and make decisions on his own. I think that was the hardest thing. And I think that's why ultimately the Jets made some (coaching) changes, too."

</snip>

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...