Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Super League

Nouseforaname

4merper4mer
1 hour ago, GG1 said:

You're missing the bigger variable that global media and licensing rights play into this.  Nobody in the US is plopping down $100/yr to watch Burnley take on Watford.  Conversely, as NFL marches on to EU & Asia, few people there would be interested in a Jax vs Panthers game.   

Home town fans are playing an increasingly smaller role in sports, and all leagues will devolve into a tiered system that may resemble the Premier League format, except instead of a 20 team league, you will have a 12 team major league, and a subset of minor leagues with opportunities to jump up or drop down.

I’m sure they wouldn’t give shit one but they would lose me.  

Hometown fans may be playing a diminishing role but their passion is the root on which the oak is built.  If the roots rot away, the trees will eventually fall.  And last time I checked the world is still round and a truly global event can only happen if someone is willing to watch at 3AM.  That may happen once in a while but it won’t happen daily or weekly.

1 hour ago, 4merper4mer said:

I’m sure they wouldn’t give shit one but they would lose me.  

Hometown fans may be playing a diminishing role but their passion is the root on which the oak is built.  If the roots rot away, the trees will eventually fall.  And last time I checked the world is still round and a truly global event can only happen if someone is willing to watch at 3AM.  That may happen once in a while but it won’t happen daily or weekly.

What's the economic tradeoff of losing 100K game day fans but gaining a few million video paying subscribers?

Nouseforaname
On 4/23/2021 at 8:43 AM, GG1 said:

You're missing the bigger variable that global media and licensing rights play into this.  Nobody in the US is plopping down $100/yr to watch Burnley take on Watford.  Conversely, as NFL marches on to EU & Asia, few people there would be interested in a Jax vs Panthers game.   

Home town fans are playing an increasingly smaller role in sports, and all leagues will devolve into a tiered system that may resemble the Premier League format, except instead of a 20 team league, you will have a 12 team major league, and a subset of minor leagues with opportunities to jump up or drop down.

But with the super league, the "founding" 12 clubs never drop drop.  That's what makes the super league so outrageous and why it drew the ire of so many fans, players, coaches and owners.  Although the same 3 teams win in Italy over the last 80 years, I still as a fan tune in to watch.

I'm not denying that soccer needs a facelift but the way it went down doesn't sit right with me.

• 2 weeks later...

NDrs4ork?format=jpg&name=small

Premier League
·
1 hour ago
Man Utd fans get on the Old Trafford field during protests
A group of United fans have managed to get on to the playing surface a few hours before one of the biggest games of the Premier League season against Liverpool.
Photo via @bbcmerseysport

• 3 weeks later...

YELLOW SUBMARINE SINKS MAN U KNEELERS

Today’s Europa League final featured two contrasting teams: Manchester United and Villareal. Man U, which represents the red half of a city of about half a million, has won everything there is to win in soccer, and most things multiple times. Villareal, known for some reason as the Yellow Submarine, represents a Spanish city of around 50,000. Until today, it had never won anything.

This year, Man U finished second in the English Premier League. Villareal, which played three EPL castoffs today, finished seventh in La Liga.

And here’s one more contrast. Just before the opening whistle, the Man U players all knelt, in conformance with what EPL teams have been doing since George Floyd’s death in Minnesota. The Villareal players, a collection of mostly Spanish players with a few Frenchmen and South Americans mixed in, declined to kneel.

Why, the Villareal players must have wondered, should they kneel because an American cop severely mistreated a black American criminal? Indeed, why should they kneel for any reason?

Perhaps a Man U player or two has wondered the same thing. Perhaps not. The EPL does not appear to be awash with independent thinkers.

As for the match, Manchester United dominated possession, as expected. And, as expected, Villareal defended stoutly.

The result was 120 minutes of undistinguished football, resulting in a 1-1 draw. Consequently, the match went to a penalty kick shootout.

The shootout produced something I’ve never seen before. All 20 outfield players converted their penalty kick.

This meant that the goalkeepers had to take the 11th penalty kick for their respective teams.

Gerónimo Rulli, the Villareal goalkeeper (and normally a backup), converted his kick with aplomb. He then saved the kick of Manchester United’s keeper, the Spaniard David De Gea.

Rulli will never again have to pay for a meal in Villareal. Neither will any of his teammates who played today.

I was delighted by the result. For one thing, Villareal’s victory is a feel-good story.

Then, there’s the fact that Villareal declined to take a knee. Normally, I’ll root for any English team other then Liverpool that’s playing European competition. But if the choice is between kneelers and non-kneelers, I’m going to pull for the latter almost regardless of nationality.

Villareal’s prize for winning is a beautiful trophy, football immortality, and a ticket to next year’s Champions League, an even more prestigious competition.

Man U had already qualified for the Champions League, so they have that consolation. However, this proud club has now gone four years without winning a meaningful trophy. And its fans are up in arms against the American owners who tried to steer United out of the EPL and into a “super league” where Man U wouldn’t have to compete against “minnows” like Villareal.

A win today might have mollified the faithful. But it was not to be.

Good.

https://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2021/05/yellow-submarine-sinks-man-u-kneelers.php

• Cheers 2

On 5/27/2021 at 8:02 AM, B-Man said:

And here’s one more contrast. Just before the opening whistle, the Man U players all knelt, in conformance with what EPL teams have been doing since George Floyd’s death in Minnesota.

Huh???

Does this mean the Bills will all kneel forever if some Bobbie accidentally kills a Paki suspect in London?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
TakeYouToTasker 2.0

Real Madrid, Barcelona, and Juventus defeat UEFA in court.

UEFA cannot penalize or punish teams for forming unsanctioned breakaway competitions.

The development of a Super League will continue unimpeded.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/uefa-champions-league/story/4442466/barcelonareal-madridjuventus-praise-courts-super-league-ruling-over-uefa