Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Covid and the Draft

The_Dude

I hate this draft. How can any GM know what they’re doing? The scouts haven’t had their typical access. The medical reports on many prospects is non existent. A lot of kids haven’t played ball in a while. The Jets are gonna pull the trigger on Zach Wilson — but what do they really know about Wilson? I know the team has holes and Beane has to try to fill them with what little knowledge he has on the draft pool. I almost wish we could trade every pick for a future years draft pick. I expect to see a lot of busts due to bad scouting in this draft. I’m always excited for the draft, but I think extra skepticism to this years rookie class is warranted. And I’m not going to kill Beane if he misses...

It's a good question. Zoom meetings, physicals, and a lot of game film. But, what about the guys that did not play last year that are draft eligible this year?

Beanie should pass. Definitely just pass. Trade all our picks this year to other teams for picks down the road, like 2022 or even 2025 when things will be more normal. 

• Haha 1

TakeYouToTasker 2.0
3 hours ago, Nanker said:

Beanie should pass. Definitely just pass. Trade all our picks this year to other teams for picks down the road, like 2022 or even 2025 when things will be more normal. 

According to folks in the know, this is exactly what’s been happening with every team across the league. No one. Wants their draft capital this year. Everyone has been trying to trade out of this draft.

• Like 1

Just Joshin

Maybe it is the opposite.  A good, well run organization will have an edge over a poorly run team.  The conditions make it more probable a poor team makes worse decisions, leaving the good teams to take advantage.

• Like 1

Dave Gettleman: Some players who opted out looked like me at Pro Days

One of the difficulties for NFL teams as they prepare for this year’s draft has been evaluating players who opted out of playing in 2020 due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

During a press conference on Thursday, Giants General Manager Dave Gettleman said that he’s never had to deal with circumstances like this throughout his career in the NFL. He said he’s tried to evaluate older film of players the same way he does with other prospects and that he’s asked players about their decision during video meetings in order to get the fullest possible picture.

</snip>

8 hours ago, Just Joshin said:

Maybe it is the opposite.  A good, well run organization will have an edge over a poorly run team.  The conditions make it more probable a poor team makes worse decisions, leaving the good teams to take advantage.

I am 100% on board with this.  I think we have one of the better FO’s in the league. Throw in a little adversity and I hope that widens the gap between the Bills and the Others. 

On another bright note, I LOVED the draft coverage last year and seeing the players with their families in their homes. Tua’s house looked great! I wanted to watch the draft on TV, have a beverage and shoot some pool! Have to wonder if the Dolphins represented a pay cut from ‘Bama??? I hope for something very similar this year. 

• Like 1

On 4/21/2021 at 5:45 PM, The_Dude said:

I hate this draft. How can any GM know what they’re doing? The scouts haven’t had their typical access. The medical reports on many prospects is non existent. A lot of kids haven’t played ball in a while. The Jets are gonna pull the trigger on Zach Wilson — but what do they really know about Wilson? I know the team has holes and Beane has to try to fill them with what little knowledge he has on the draft pool. I almost wish we could trade every pick for a future years draft pick. I expect to see a lot of busts due to bad scouting in this draft. I’m always excited for the draft, but I think extra skepticism to this years rookie class is warranted. And I’m not going to kill Beane if he misses...

On the flip side I think this year is an immense opportunity for the better front offices and scouting staffs to land some steals.  I think Beane and his crew are one of the better FOs.  How will not playing last year affect draft statuses?  The shape guys show up in on pro days after shortened seasons will speak volumes about discipline and professionalism.  I think the undrafted free agent scramble will be wild.  

Its a great year to have a solid roster and get to pick BPA.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

On the flip side I think this year is an immense opportunity for the better front offices and scouting staffs to land some steals.  I think Beane and his crew are one of the better FOs.  How will not playing last year affect draft statuses?  The shape guys show up in on pro days after shortened seasons will speak volumes about discipline and professionalism.  I think the undrafted free agent scramble will be wild.  

Its a great year to have a solid roster and get to pick BPA.

Am fully expecting the Bills to do a good job next weekend & am fully expecting the Sabres (w/ 10 picks in a 7 round draft) to fall on their faces when the NHL finally holds its draft.  Hoping only the 1st one works out that way, obviously. 

Edited by Taro T
  • Haha 1

On the other hand.....

57 years a Bills fan.

57 years offering a "hometown discount" to play corner for them.

This may be the year.

They've got my measurables and self published scouting report.

Sure, they may decide to go for the youth movement, but I'll be waiting for the call, and it finally may come.

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Sherpa said:

On the other hand.....

57 years a Bills fan.

57 years offering a "hometown discount" to play corner for them.

This may be the year.

They've got my measurables and self published scouting report.

Sure, they may decide to go for the youth movement, but I'll be waiting for the call, and it finally may come.

Unfortunately you have posted your health background. 

Easy pass. 😁🍺

• Haha 1

On 4/27/2021 at 8:24 AM, Ann said:

Not more than 14-16 players rated first round - that is something I've read before. Is that because colleges have suddenly stopped churning out NFL caliber talent? Or, did covid-19 impact how these players were rated?

Surprise first rounders article

It’s a bad draft. A lot of players wisely decided to go back. I think this draft will grade out as epically poor. 

• Like 1