RochesterRob

44 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

I’ve been making yogurt. Super easy. 

1. Heat milk to 190

2. Let milk cool to 115

3. Add yogurt culture

4. Put in mason jars

5.  Incubate overnight at 100

A.  I use a cooler with a heating pad inside it. 
6.  Profit. 

You can flavor it with whatever you like.  I make a berry compote (cook berries sweetened with honey) and out that in the bottom of the mason jar. 

https://www.thecheesemaker.com/yomix-2651-probiotic-yogurt-culture-recipe/

I have three yogurt makers in the house.  I have never used any of them, and I buy yogurt weekly. :gah:

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

1. Heat milk to 190

2. Let milk cool to 115

3. Add yogurt culture

4. Put in mason jars

A.  I use a cooler with a heating pad inside it. 
6.  Profit. 

You can flavor it with whatever you like.  I make a berry compote (cook berries sweetened with honey) and out that in the bottom of the mason jar. 

https://www.thecheesemaker.com/yomix-2651-probiotic-yogurt-culture-recipe/

you still curing your own meat....hmm

5 hours ago, Ann said:

I have three yogurt makers in the house.  I have never used any of them, and I buy yogurt weekly. :gah:

Yogurt makers?  Improvise.  I still buy yogurt every week to take to the office and have the homemade stuff at home.  It's the best yogurt I've ever had at 1/4 the price.  

2 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

you still curing your own meat....hmm

I haven't in a while.  It's on my list of things to do.  I still have some left.  Also have to make some cheese.  Been busy getting the retirement home ready to AirBnB (putting in a pool) and starting to winding down my practice for calling it quits 12/2021

Edited by Chef Jim
  • FANtastic 1

6 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

I haven't in a while.  It's on my list of things to do.  I still have some left.  Also have to make some cheese.  Been busy getting the retirement home ready to AirBnB (putting in a pool) and starting to winding down my practice for calling it quits 12/2021

Congrats on the retirement!

3 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Congrats on the retirement!

Thanks Paul.  I was planning on 2023 but they are phasing out my position (after 20 years thank you very much) so I'm pulling the trigger 2 years early.  The key was selling the Oakland house for a nice gain and buying the retirement home in cash.  Getting rid of $35k a year in rent makes a big difference.  I'll miss South Orange County but not that monthly nut.  I hired a great planner.  LOL

2 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Thanks Paul.  I was planning on 2023 but they are phasing out my position (after 20 years thank you very much) so I'm pulling the trigger 2 years early.  The key was selling the Oakland house for a nice gain and buying the retirement home in cash.  Getting rid of $35k a year in rent makes a big difference.  I'll miss South Orange County but not that monthly nut.  I hired a great planner.  LOL

canj you pass along his name please?

• Haha 1

Just now, plenzmd1 said:

canj you pass along his name please?

I have...remember.  LOL  

BTW he's retiring too.  :guillotine:  <-- what the &#%$ is that? I like it however. 

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Koko said:

Did he beat the S&P?

😇

I saw a great quote from Michele Kitces.  He has a hood podcast and blog for planners. 

“Diversification means always having to say you’re sorry.”  

• Cheers 1

12 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

Aren't you in Palm Springs now? Just put it outside.  Should be over 100 all night.😀

8 minutes ago, Wacka said:

Aren't you in Palm Springs now? Just put it outside.  Should be over 100 all night.😀

No. We move out there full time January 2022.  I was concerned about that. I have to incubate my cured sausages overnight at 80. I have a stand up freezer I converted to a curing box in the garage. I put a space heater in it now.  I’ll need to turn the freezer on out there. My garage gets the afternoon sun. 🔥 

I made my first real tri tip steak last night. Got a buddy on the west coast who raves about them — they’re called “the filet of the west coast.” It’s a hard cut to find on the east coast. But my butcher got some in. Now, as all who know me know, The_Dude is an expert in the manly arts, and steak cookin falls in that realm. I put the steak on my pellet smoker and got it up to 125 degrees, then I seared it on a skillet for 1 minute on each side to give it a crunchy crust. Holy crap this steak was amazing. Before you do one though, if you don’t carve it right you’ll ruin it!!!!! Recommend everybody try them some tri tip steak. 

1 minute ago, Ann said:

So, hubby has left the cooking to me this weekend. I am making reservations! 

:drums:

I am hoping that "beef" is involved.

Walter Buffalo
On 10/20/2020 at 9:45 AM, Ann said:

Just found a brand new George Foreman grille in the basement from decade(s)? ago, while looking for old Bugs Bunny dvd for grandkids.

They a collectors items now ? It's NIB. 

• Haha 1

On 10/21/2020 at 8:39 AM, The_Dude said:

I made my first real tri tip steak last night. Got a buddy on the west coast who raves about them — they’re called “the filet of the west coast.” It’s a hard cut to find on the east coast. But my butcher got some in. Now, as all who know me know, The_Dude is an expert in the manly arts, and steak cookin falls in that realm. I put the steak on my pellet smoker and got it up to 125 degrees, then I seared it on a skillet for 1 minute on each side to give it a crunchy crust. Holy crap this steak was amazing. Before you do one though, if you don’t carve it right you’ll ruin it!!!!! Recommend everybody try them some tri tip steak. 

Wegmans in Central VA usually has Tri Tips as does Whole Foods..both too expensive for me for a sirloin cut...but I am eatin if someone else is cookin!

Speaking of Whole Foods, they have a sale on Chilean Sea Bass , 30% off..so only $20/lb instead of $30 LOL! But wife loves it.. last night did it sous vide for 40 minutes at 125, then used this recipe for the potato crust and lemon sauce. Freaking outstanding...i did the sous vide as the fillet was so thick no way would it cook through before the potatoes would burn if just did in the skillet. Thinner filet of a firm flesh fish sure only skillet would work.

• Like 2

Man, nervous energy before the game today!

Anyway, Sundays, especially in the fall and winter, are still roast days for me! Even without the kids here, just means boatload of leftovers and vacuum sealed pre cooked meals!

Anyway, food lion had pork shoulder on sale for $.99/lb, so have a 6lb bone in shoulder(smallest they had) in the over at 250 as we speak..did a garlic/rosemary/kosher salt/pepper paste over night. Be in for 7 hours, rest it for an hour/ turn over to 500, crisp the fat cap. Will make a quick pan sause if any drippings. Damn store bought pork has so little fat now a days, but paying $9.99 a pound for heritage pork butt seems dumb when i can get this for $.99. 

Trying polenta in slow cooker for first time today. Added some pumpkin puree and sage...be interesting to see how it turns out!

Roasting my wife's favorite veg, rutabaga to round out the Sunday meal. She actually tolerates it, but i love it!

• Wow 1
  • FANtastic 1