Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Food

RochesterRob

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

Man, nervous energy before the game today!

Anyway, Sundays, especially in the fall and winter, are still roast days for me! Even without the kids here, just means boatload of leftovers and vacuum sealed pre cooked meals!

Anyway, food lion had pork shoulder on sale for $.99/lb, so have a 6lb bone in shoulder(smallest they had) in the over at 250 as we speak..did a garlic/rosemary/kosher salt/pepper paste over night. Be in for 7 hours, rest it for an hour/ turn over to 500, crisp the fat cap. Will make a quick pan sause if any drippings. Damn store bought pork has so little fat now a days, but paying $9.99 a pound for heritage pork butt seems dumb when i can get this for $.99. 

Trying polenta in slow cooker for first time today. Added some pumpkin puree and sage...be interesting to see how it turns out!

Roasting my wife's favorite veg, rutabaga to round out the Sunday meal. She actually tolerates it, but i love it!

Thinking about throwing the big chuck roast we bought Friday into the oven in a hour from now.  Be ready around 5:30 this evening.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, RochesterRob said:

Thinking about throwing the big chuck roast we bought Friday into the oven in a hour from now.  Be ready around 5:30 this evening.

I must say the pork was freaking awesome. Forgot to mention i threw 3 anchoives into the blender for that extra umami...for a $6 piece of meat that could easily feed 6, and requires little to no work..just cant beat a pork shoulder(butt)

• Like 1

On 11/1/2020 at 11:30 AM, plenzmd1 said:

Man, nervous energy before the game today!

Anyway, Sundays, especially in the fall and winter, are still roast days for me! Even without the kids here, just means boatload of leftovers and vacuum sealed pre cooked meals!

Anyway, food lion had pork shoulder on sale for $.99/lb, so have a 6lb bone in shoulder(smallest they had) in the over at 250 as we speak..did a garlic/rosemary/kosher salt/pepper paste over night. Be in for 7 hours, rest it for an hour/ turn over to 500, crisp the fat cap. Will make a quick pan sause if any drippings. Damn store bought pork has so little fat now a days, but paying $9.99 a pound for heritage pork butt seems dumb when i can get this for $.99. 

Trying polenta in slow cooker for first time today. Added some pumpkin puree and sage...be interesting to see how it turns out!

Roasting my wife's favorite veg, rutabaga to round out the Sunday meal. She actually tolerates it, but i love it!

Sundays in fall and winter were always roast days in my house growing up too; keeping the tradition going in my home.  Usually pork loin. Bought a bigass loin yesterday that was $.79 a pound after coupon.  That'll be Sunday dinner for the next four weeks.

• FANtastic 1

On 10/16/2020 at 8:46 PM, RochesterRob said:

The wife has been busy helping her family since her mom passed a few months ago so lots of kitchen time for me.  I don't mind.  Just a little sad some cool days have waited so long because like I said before fresh corn on the ear is big in setting the flavor in the chowder.  Sweet corn probably will be gone locally by the end of next week.

Sorry for your loss Rob. 
We have a saying in my family, “food is love.”

• 1 year later...
RochesterRob

I wanted to ask what everybody feels is the best Italian sausage.  Hopefully, something I can pick up in the Rochester area.  I used to buy ground pork and go from there but Wegmans won't grind on the spot anymore.  I like a substantial hint of black pepper in mine.

2 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

I wanted to ask what everybody feels is the best Italian sausage.  Hopefully, something I can pick up in the Rochester area.  I used to buy ground pork and go from there but Wegmans won't grind on the spot anymore.  I like a substantial hint of black pepper in mine.

Have you tried Rubino’s Italian Foods?  Italian sausage.

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

Heard of them and not too far from the one nephew of mine.

It isn’t a huge Italian store (Buffalo has a larger one in Pellicano’s), but it has a great deli and butcher. 

• 2 weeks later...

The beautiful thing about where I live is how easy it is to get true, free range chicken from local farms.

That said, outside of wings and thighs, I find chicken - free range or otherwise -- a very boring protein, no matter what I do to it in the kitchen.

However, this recipe for Pineapple Throne Chicken is fantastic.

I'm always looking for unusual ways to cook protein, and this one completely caught my attention. In fairness, there was nothing about the process -- using the pineapple's core as a throne upon which you sit the chicken when it grills -- that I think enhanced the flavor of the chicken, especially because so many other seasonings are going on by the time you make the tacos.

But all of it together as a taco is just ridiculously good.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

• 4 weeks later...
18 hours ago, Alaska Darin said:

"I only eat plants because I can't eat food with a face."

Meanwhile, in nature:

Could also file that one under "You don't need high powered semi automatic rifles to go hunting"

• Like 1

CarpetCrawler
On 8/5/2022 at 11:34 AM, Alaska Darin said:

"I only eat plants because I can't eat food with a face."

Meanwhile, in nature:

It looks like the setting of M*A*S*H.

• Haha 2

• 2 months later...

I was planning on making Cubano sammy's for the game tomorrow but forgot I need OJ for the pork marinade and it needs to set overnight to truly soak in. Guess I will be having them Monday instead.

Not sure what I'll make now...

• Like 2

On 10/20/2020 at 9:45 AM, Ann said:

I have three yogurt makers in the house.  I have never used any of them, and I buy yogurt weekly. :gah:

Look at the ingredients in that yogurt you buy. Generally not good for you. Yuka app is your friend.

Crap Throwing Clavin
On 11/5/2022 at 5:28 PM, Fansince88 said:

Look at the ingredients in that yogurt you buy. Generally not good for you. Yuka app is your friend.

By the way...yogurt makers?  Good for small-scale bioweapons manufacture.  

National-Pickle-Day-November-14.jpg.webp

NATIONAL PICKLE DAY | NOVEMBER 14

National Pickle Day recognizes the tart, sometimes sweet, and even spicy pickle. Each year on November 14th, pickle lovers pop open pecks of their preferred preserved pickle. It may be a Dill, Gherkin, Cornichon, Brined, Kosher Dill, Polish, Hungarian, Lime, Bread and Butter, Swedish and Danish, or Kool-Aid Pickle. No matter your choice, eat them all day long.

The term pickle comes from the Dutch word pekel, meaning brine. In the United States, the word pickle typically refers to a pickled cucumber. However, just about any fruit or vegetable can be pickled.

• Like 1