Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

What a Buffalo Bills hypothetical trade package for Julio Jones would be

You Dirty Rat

You Dirty Rat

The Atlanta Falcons are trying to trade Julio Jones. The Buffalo Bills could act.

Per Jeff Schultz of The Athletic, the Atlanta Falcons are trying to trade Julio Jones. This is rather surprising after the team selected TE Kyle Pitts with the 4th overall selection, making him the highest-drafted TE in NFL history. Jones was the player that GM Thomas Dimitroff traded the farm for in 2011.

Now I know what you may be thinking. The fact that the Buffalo Bills already have Stefon Diggs and Cole Beasley, and Josh Allen was one of the top QB’s in the league last season on the way to an AFC Championship appearance. However, after the team released John Brown (who signed with the Las Vegas Raiders) there is a void at the third wide receiver spot. Gabriel Davis is still way too young to decide on if he’s ready for a big role in the offense

https://buffalowdown.com/2021/05/20/buffalo-bills-julio-jones-hypothetical/

• Like 1

I would be fun if the Bills could swing a reasonable trade for Jones. Imagine opponents trying to defend WrongJosh, NotJefferson, Beasley, Sanders, Jones, and Davis on the field at the same time.

That said, however, trading significant assets for Julio just doesn't make sense with the talent the Bills already have on offense. I just don't see Beane being willing to offer too much for him (not to mention any potential salary cap considerations.)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Koko said:

I would be fun if the Bills could swing a reasonable trade for Jones. Imagine opponents trying to defend WrongJosh, NotJefferson, Beasley, Sanders, Jones, and Davis on the field at the same time.

That said, however, trading significant assets for Julio just doesn't make sense with the talent the Bills already have on offense. I just don't see Beane being willing to offer too much for him (not to mention any potential salary cap considerations.)

Yeah, I don't see it happening either, but if it did... wowzer.

The impact that Julio Jones has on a game, when healthy, can’t be denied. With that said, I am as equally unexcited about his reported availability, as I am impressed at the WR room that this front office has put together.

• Like 2

I love Julio, but think this team has wisely eschewed the route of chasing the big, expensive name.  And unless it's a one year rental (which isn't worth trading assets), I don't see how they could afford him anyway with contracts for Josh and likely Edmunds pending.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

The thought of Diggs and Jones as the Bills 1 and 2 is very intriguing IMO.

I get the impression McBeane is searching for the one move that seals the deal..

I realize how crowded and talented Buffalo is at the WR position. On the other hand Allens long range capabilities / arm talent makes one question the possibilities.

Julio Jones could very well put Buffalo over the top in my humble opinion. 

Edited by Figster
  • Like 1

TakeYouToTasker 2.0
On 5/21/2021 at 1:42 PM, Norm said:

The Atlanta Falcons are trying to trade Julio Jones. The Buffalo Bills could act.

Per Jeff Schultz of The Athletic, the Atlanta Falcons are trying to trade Julio Jones. This is rather surprising after the team selected TE Kyle Pitts with the 4th overall selection, making him the highest-drafted TE in NFL history. Jones was the player that GM Thomas Dimitroff traded the farm for in 2011.

Now I know what you may be thinking. The fact that the Buffalo Bills already have Stefon Diggs and Cole Beasley, and Josh Allen was one of the top QB’s in the league last season on the way to an AFC Championship appearance. However, after the team released John Brown (who signed with the Las Vegas Raiders) there is a void at the third wide receiver spot. Gabriel Davis is still way too young to decide on if he’s ready for a big role in the offense

https://buffalowdown.com/2021/05/20/buffalo-bills-julio-jones-hypothetical/

I’m not sure I want Jones here, please hear me out.

There is only so much of two very important things: money and footballs.

Beane has talked about wanting more balance in the offense. Josh threw the ball 572 times and the Bills had a passing ratio of 61.71% in 2020. I believe they will throw less in 2021 as they attempt a more run heavy philosophy while playing with leads, which they should do more often in the upcoming season.

Diggs will get his catches, likely well over 100 again. Beasley’s role in the slot and his unique skill set will get him his touches as well. Emmanuel Sanders wasn’t brought in on a $6m deal in a cap strapped year to sit on the bench, and has averaged 66 catches per year for the past three seasons. Finally, Gabe Davis has emerged as a real threat, clearly has Josh’s trust, and will continue to grow into his game and see his role increased.

There just aren’t enough footballs to be thrown around to satisfy the three veterans, two of whom were All-Pros last season, continue to push Davis’ development, *and* to give Jones the role in the offense he would deserve.

Secondly, turning back to the point I made about the cash strapped cap situation: the Bills have limited resources, and are looking to extend Josh Allen which will cost them a fortune, as well as Tremaine Edmunds. Any deal for Jones will consume future draft capital, and Jones is a free agent going into 2022. I don’t think they can afford to fit Jones’ next deal into their cap, and you don’t squander draft picks on one year rentals.

Finally, the cap is limited, and the roster is capped at 53. Both cap space and roster space are extremely valuable resources. At this point I’d rather see the Bills commit those resources to position groups that aren’t as strong as their receiver group, which may well be the strongest and deepest in the league.

None of this is to say anything negative about Julio Jones. He’s one of the greats and will improve any roster he joins. Any time a name like his pops up as available for trade, you absolutely kick the tires or you’re being negligent.

I just hope that after Beane kicks the tires, that he decides to buy a different truck.

• Like 1
  • FANtastic 1

6 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker 2.0 said:

There just aren’t enough footballs to be thrown around to satisfy the three veterans, two of whom were All-Pros last season, continue to push Davis’ development, *and* to give Jones the role in the offense he would deserve.

This....plus the cap issue....plus the fact that building the 2000 Rams offense is all well and good and loads of fun, but only balanced teams win the Super Bowl.

If they happen to find an extra $15MM in the sofa cushions, trade for a tier 1 pass rusher, not a WR.

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Hedge said:

What an asshole move. If whatever network Sharpe is on had any integrity he would be suspended for this if not fired.

• Like 2