Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

[Edited: AFCE Champs] The Bills current chances of making the playoffs ...

Ann

On 12/4/2020 at 1:50 PM, Nanker said:

I remember hearing James Lofton on the radio - I think it was with Pat Kirwin and Jim Miller - and the quote came up, "they control their own destiny." Lofton said, "why don't they say that back in September? Nobody says it then." I thought it was hilarious. 

In fairness, some of us did say that about the Jets in September. We were right!

17 minutes ago, ComradeKayAdams said:

The Bills can clinch a playoff spot as early as Sunday night and the division as early as next Saturday!

While clinching the first division title in 25 years remains the highest priority, I’m also starting to cheer for teams in the other games based on potential playoff matchups versus the Bills. This is my ranking of the other 9 viable playoff teams in the AFC, in descending order of matchup favorability:

1. Raiders

2. Dolphins

3. **Patriots

4. Colts

5. Browns

6. Titans

7. Ravens

8. Steelers

9. Chiefs

Week 14 has some great games scheduled:

Bills vs. Steelers (go Bills!)

**Patriots vs. Rams (go Rams!)

Dolphins vs. Chiefs (we want the Chiefs to win, but the alternative is intriguing)

Colts vs. Raiders (I’m cheering for the Raiders, but you can make a case for wanting the opposite)

Ravens vs. Browns (not sure…I’ll follow mostly just to evaluate Chubb/Hunt and Jackson/Ravens D)

Why so high on the Ravens?

I think it is better for Colts to win their division since the Titans have the tie breaker over the Bills.

32 minutes ago, ComradeKayAdams said:

The Bills can clinch a playoff spot as early as Sunday night and the division as early as next Saturday!

While clinching the first division title in 25 years remains the highest priority, I’m also starting to cheer for teams in the other games based on potential playoff matchups versus the Bills. This is my ranking of the other 9 viable playoff teams in the AFC, in descending order of matchup favorability:

1. Raiders

2. Dolphins

3. **Patriots

4. Colts

5. Browns

6. Titans

7. Ravens

8. Steelers

9. Chiefs

Week 14 has some great games scheduled:

Bills vs. Steelers (go Bills!)

**Patriots vs. Rams (go Rams!)

Dolphins vs. Chiefs (we want the Chiefs to win, but the alternative is intriguing)

Colts vs. Raiders (I’m cheering for the Raiders, but you can make a case for wanting the opposite)

Ravens vs. Browns (not sure…I’ll follow mostly just to evaluate Chubb/Hunt and Jackson/Ravens D)

Hey Kay! Welcome to the board. :cheer:

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • FANtastic 1

On 12/9/2020 at 7:00 AM, ComradeKayAdams said:

My concern with the Ravens is a combination of Lamar Jackson’s unique talents, a top-5 NFL defense, Greg Roman designing novel run plays, a veteran Super Bowl-winning head coach (13th year and 17 playoff games worth of experience), their team having finished 14-2 last season, and their franchise hungry to win a playoff game for the first time in 6 years. I’m also worried that the Ravens will get a bit of referee favoritism because Jackson is more of a media darling than Allen.

I prefer the Raiders beating the Colts because I feel that the Raiders would be both a great eventual playoff matchup for the Bills and a difficult one for the Chiefs. The Colts losing would also help the Bills ever so slightly in securing at least a wild-card spot. Your point about the tiebreaker for division champions seeding is a great one because we’d rather avoid that #4 spot (having to face the best wild-card team and then likely the Chiefs in the next round). However, it’s also possible that the Colts finish ahead of us by one game because of this victory against the Raiders.

I’m not taking scoreboard watching too seriously, though! A healthy Bills team can beat anyone in the league right now. Trust the process. Control your own destiny. Take one game at a time. Any given Sunday, football is a game of inches, << insert your favorite sports cliche here >>, etc…

I'm starting to believe that the vaunted Ravens D is a paper tiger this year, while the book is certainly out on how to contain Lamar.   

19 minutes ago, Ann said:

Unless Cleveland gets it together quick, the Bills are not clinching a playoff spot tonight. Yesh

Could be better in the long run because if Cleveland ends up winning that division don't know if they'd get the 2 seed or Buffalo would with both of them 13-3 or 12-4.

42 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Could be better in the long run because if Cleveland ends up winning that division don't know if they'd get the 2 seed or Buffalo would with both of them 13-3 or 12-4.

Cleveland woke up. Now, let’s see if they can hold on to win.

6 minutes ago, Ann said:

Cleveland woke up. Now, let’s see if they can hold on to win.

Do they hold tie breakers over the Bills due to common opponents or do the Bills hold it for the better conference record?

If the Browns have the tie breaker (assuming they catch Pittsburgh), then hope they choke.  Bills can clinch on Saturday.  Go Crows!

If the Bills have the tie breaker, go Pauls!

2 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Do they hold tie breakers over the Bills due to common opponents or do the Bills hold it for the better conference record?

If the Browns have the tie breaker (assuming they catch Pittsburgh), then hope they choke.  Bills can clinch on Saturday.  Go Crows!

If the Bills have the tie breaker, go Pauls!

Lots of drama, but Baltimore just scored, so Cleveland needs TD to tie with under two minutes left.