Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

2021 Bills Projections and Predictions Thread

Ann

For as many years as I can remember, I looked at the schedule and thought 8, or 9, or 10 wins. I just looked at the schedule and I don’t even want to say how optimistic I am. I’m scaring myself. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, snafu said:

For as many years as I can remember, I looked at the schedule and thought 8, or 9, or 10 wins. I just looked at the schedule and I don’t even want to say how optimistic I am. I’m scaring myself. 

20?

1 minute ago, Foxx said:

Dude, it's after 10 pm on a Friday night. 

Yes, he should be able to decide a win count by now!

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, Fansince88 said:

Yes, he should be able to decide a win count by now!

Well to be fair, it was only 9 when he made that post. My implication was that he had better get a move on with those drinks or the night was going to be lost.

41 minutes ago, Foxx said:

Dude, it's after 10 pm on a Friday night. 

Mrs. snafu is out of town, I got the kids tonite. Can’t go too overboard. 

• Like 1

https://twitter.com/YahooSchwab/status/1422173987023462400

2021 NFL Preview: Bills had a magical season, and now they try to re-climb the mountain

</snip>

If you remove your own team, you should be rooting for the Buffalo Bills to win a Super Bowl. The franchise had one great run in the 1990s and famously lost four Super Bowls in a row. Then came decades of pain. The Bills have great, devoted fans. And they haven't been able to celebrate a Super Bowl. Yet.

</snip>

The hardest part of the ending was losing one step from a Super Bowl. The second hardest part is knowing how difficult it is to get back to that point. 

</snip>

The NFL is built for teams to rise and fall quickly. Opponents will adjust to the Bills' pass-happy ways. Buffalo isn't guaranteed to avoid injuries in key spots. Allen's improvement was so rapid that a small step back could happen. Not all positive progress is linear, from a player or a team. 

However, there's no reason to not believe in the Bills taking that next step. Allen could fall off, but that seems unlikely. Most of the team returns. If anything, the Bills could bounce back to strong 2019 levels on defense after being a touch disappointing last season. 

Maybe this season will have a better ending. Bills fans can only hope. 

</snip>

Counting playoffs, the Bills went 11-2 in their final 13 games, with a Hail Mary loss to the Arizona Cardinals and the playoff loss to the Chiefs. Eight of those wins came by double digits, a sign of a dominant team. I'll have the Chiefs as my top AFC team in the power rankings because they have earned that over the past few seasons. But I might end up on the Bills as my Super Bowl pick. I'd like to see a little better running game and wish there was a dominant pass rusher on the roster, but it's mostly a team without a glaring weakness. And it would be cool to see Buffalo finally celebrate a Super Bowl win. 

</snip>

• Like 1

THE BUFFALO BILLS ARE ON THE PRECIPICE OF GREATNESS
Warren Sharp
NBC Sports Edge

</snip>

Behind the first down passing and overall early down efficiency, the Bills gained 20 first downs in every game of the season. In the annals of NFL history, such a feat has been accomplished only one other time, by the 2012 *Patriots.

Buffalo punted only 42 times the entire season. There has been only one other team since the NFL shifted to 16 games to punt less than 42 times (1990 Oilers).

The Bills were not just a very good offense. They were historical in many of the key respects that we know matter in today’s game — not giving the ball back (punting) and gaining first downs. To see the shift in passing production from 2019 to 2020 was a thrill.

It allowed the Bills to win the AFC East for the first time since 1995 and to make their first AFC Championship game since 1993.

It was a BIG DEAL in Buffalo.

Aside from just passing more often on first down, Daboll obviously did a number of other things to jump start offensive efficiency.

</snip>

Buffalo is a team a lot like Baltimore in my mind. They’re at the precipice of being truly great, but they don’t have much time left before their quarterback gets paid big money. While you can still win after paying a quarterback, it absolutely gets harder and the margin for error is smaller. This is a massively important year for the Bills and they must capitalize on it.

It won’t be easy. I forecast the Bills to face the 12th toughest schedule of pass defenses and their schedule gets much harder than it was in 2019, and not just from an opponent perspective. Buffalo plays five games when their opponent has over a week to prepare for them. Buffalo also plays two short-week road games.

While it should get easier to play defense with halftime leads in 13 of 16 games, Buffalo’s defense fell off in 2019, dropping from 12th to 27th in EDSR defense. They fell from fifth to 15th against the pass. That was despite playing a below average schedule of opposing passing offenses. Buffalo addressed the defense with their first two picks in the draft and the Bills need improvement on that side of the ball.

Opposing defenses have a better idea of what to expect from the Buffalo offense. The Bills don’t need to run more often, but they need to be more efficient when they do run. They need to punish defenses that use light boxes against them. They need to figure out a better approach when in heavier personnel groupings. They need to get better improvement when running to the right of center, as these runs were a train wreck in 2020.

</snip>

Right now, the Bills are -155 to win the AFC East at PointsBet and +600 to win the AFC Championship.  After tasting the AFC Championship last year, I can tell you, the Bills won’t be satisfied without a trip to Los Angeles for Super Bowl LVI in February.  

</snip>

• Like 1

Three bold predictions for Bills in 2021: Buffalo will win the Super Bowl
The Bills are legitimate Super Bowl contenders
Chris Trapasso
CBS Sports

Bills field a top 8 defense, finish top 8 in sacks
I'm starting with a two-in-one prediction. Individually, they're defensive-centric and tied together.

</snip>  

Bills earn No. 1 seed in the AFC

</snip>

Bills win the Super Bowl

Look, the Bills are consensus Super Bowl contenders this season. Therefore, predicting them to advance to Los Angeles for rights to the Vince Lombardi Trophy would hardly be "bold." And last year when I wrote this very same article, I wasn't bold enough, predicting Buffalo to win a playoff game, when, basically, everyone said they wouldn't be shocked if it happened. The Bills, of course, won a pair of postseason outings.

Therefore, I'm adhering to the "bold prediction" requirements. And I still don't think anyone in the football-watching world would be stunned if the Bills won their first NFL title this season.

</snip>

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...

Predicting Every Game of the 2021 NFL Season
Let’s go week by week through each team’s schedule to project all 32 final records.
Sports Illustrated
Conor Orr

They have the Bills going 12-5 with losses to KC, Miami (at home) :classic_blink:, Jets :classic_blink:, and both NE games. :classic_blink:

I think throwing darts at a board would have yielded more likely results. Who knows? Maybe that is what they did. 

• Haha 1

ESPN has their top 100 projections for the season out. This is who they have from Buffalo:

NFL Rank: Predicting the top 100 players for the 2021 season and why they'll be among the league's best

9. Josh Allen
QB | Bills
2020 rank: NR

Making the biggest jump of anyone in the top 100, Josh Allen asserted himself as one of the best quarterbacks in the league last season, putting together an MVP runner-up campaign. Now armed with a six-year contract extension, his top wide receiver (Stefon Diggs) from last season and the same offensive coordinator (Brian Daboll) he has had in each of his three NFL seasons, Allen is poised for another standout year in 2021. -- Marcel Louis-Jacques

Signature stat: Last season, Allen became the first player with at least 4,500 passing yards, 35 touchdown passes and five rushing touchdowns in a single season in NFL history.

What they are saying: "Josh made a throw today that I haven't seen, a post ball to Cole Beasley. It was crazy, like mouth-dropping. I've been in the league for 12 years, so I'm excited about what they've created out here." -- Emmanuel Sanders, Bills wide receiver

2021 projection: 4,532 passing yards, 32 TDs, 12 INTs (528 yards/7 TDs rushing)

18. Stefon Diggs
WR | Bills
2020 rank: 79

Any doubts that Diggs would thrive in the Bills' offense following his trade from the Vikings will now live in infamy in the Cold Takes Hall of Fame. He silenced his critics with an NFL-leading 1,535 yards on 127 catches, setting single-season franchise records in the process. The first-team All-Pro fit seamlessly into Buffalo's air-raid offense in 2020 and leads a loaded wide receiver corps in 2021. -- Marcel Louis-Jacques

Signature stat: Last season, Diggs became the first Bills player to lead the NFL in catches or receiving yards. He was also the first veteran to lead the league in receiving yards in his first season with a new team since 1970, and the third to do so in catches over that span.

What they are saying: "I go by what I see. And what I've seen is a great teammate. A great leader. A very dependable player for our football team. A great person. I mean, we're very fortunate to have him. And I know how much we all appreciate him." -- Brian Daboll, Bills offensive coordinator

2021 projection: 1,401 receiving yards, 9 TDs

23. Tre'Davious White
CB | Bills
2020 rank: 26

White has been a model of consistency since entering the league in 2017 -- he is instinctual, cerebral and one of the most technically-sound cornerbacks in the NFL. The two-time Pro Bowler possesses elite closing speed, so even if he is beaten, he is typically able to still make a play on the ball. After an All-Pro season in 2019, White finished 2020 strong, forcing four turnovers in the Bills' final seven games. -- Marcel Louis-Jacques

Signature stat: Since 2017, White leads the NFL with 16 takeaways in the second half of games.

What they are saying: "He's the best off-coverage corner I've ever seen in my life. ... He's so patient. I think he trusts his speed for one, but he's also just really patient, just knowing that guys can't really fly by him." -- Levi Wallace, Bills CB

2021 projection: 76 tackles, 2 interceptions, 1 sack, 1 forced fumble

• Cheers 1