Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

June 1st Designations Around the League

Foxx

Tomorrow is the first day that teams can begin to spread certain amounts of salary cap hits out over a two year period. This applies to released or traded players as well as contract extensions and contract adjustments.

Who will we see traded across the league? Julio Jones? Arron Rodgers? Russell Wilson? Deshaun Watson? Will the Bills get Travis Kelce Zack Ertz?

A good article from Sports Illustrated on what may be in store for the Bills in the days and weeks ahead. Some good work by OTC on their chart as well.

Bills could clear a lot more salary cap space beginning Tuesday

... In the Bills' case, it means they can, say, add as much as $8.4 million in cap space by restructuring the contract of wide receiver Stefon Diggs, or gain $7.35 million more in relief by trading soon-to-be-33-year-old defensive end Jerry Hughes away from a room that suddenly became overcrowded following decisions to draft Gregory Rousseau in the first round and Boogie Basham in the second. 

All of their potential cost-cutting options and potential savings are documented concisely by Over the Cap.

To be clear, we're not necessarily recommending that the Bills get rid of Hughes, only that it's something they might need to look at as they attempt to get quarterback Josh Allen and linebacker Tremaine Edmunds signed to long-term deals that also could give the Bills cap relief this year. 

And to acquire a veteran upgrade or two.

The Bills loaded up so much at defensive end that they will have some tough decisions to make at the end of training camp, no matter what.

In addition to Rousseau and Basham, they signed veteran Efe Obada away from Carolina, remain committed to youngster A.J. Epenesa and still jave veteran Mario Addison, whose contract is structured so they won't get nearly as much cap relief as they would by jettisoning Hughes. ...

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

Do the Bills need the money for Edmunds and Allen? The bonus, I guess, but that may be why those contracts end up being held off until the salary cap increase of 2022.

If they make any savings, I would think it would be for someone to come in and give them that small umph to push them over the top.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ann said:

Do the Bills need the money for Edmunds and Allen? The bonus, I guess, but that may be why those contracts end up being held off until the salary cap increase of 2022.

If they make any savings, I would think it would be for someone to come in and give them that small ertz to push them over the top.

FIFY

Edited by Nanker
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Deranged Rhino

Diggs deal has to be in anticipation of a signing ... either an extension for one of our own, or perhaps Ertz? 

1 hour ago, CarpetCrawler said:

I thought something would have happened by now.

I haven't looked it up myself, but I read a few comments that the verbiage is "post" June 1st (meaning it begins on June 2nd) for the various salary cap ramifications to kick in. They were explaining it like if anything happens, it will be tomorrow. Which may be true, because I don't think I saw anything happen league wide today in regards to trades or signings.

• Like 1

No reason to jump on Diggs restructure on 6-1 if all they are going to do is use it for an extension of one of their own. They need the space for flexibility and/or to consummate a deal already in place.