Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

The Star Trek Thread

RochesterRob

RochesterRob

I'm going to give it a go and we will see how much interest it generates.  I just need a change of pace to brighten my spirit a little and get the creative juices flowing.

Tonight I will do my review of Space Seed which is airing tonight on Heroes and Icons Roch 10.5.  In short the Enterprise crew revives an at first unknown individual from a ship that is approximately a few hundred years old.  Turns out this person named Khan was a tyrant that ruled a quarter of the Earth's land mass.  Just when victory is within Khan's grasp the female crew person of the week decides her loyalties remain with Star Fleet.

Guest Stars :  Ricardo Montalban makes this episode.  His charisma lifts things to a point where the shortcomings sort of fade into the background.  His dialogue is good to start with but Montalban knows how to deliver it in a way to make you believe he was once a 20th Century dictator.  Madelyn Rhue is probably a shade above competent but makes no gaffs when on screen.  Good chemistry between Montalban and Rhue.  As a younger person I did not get the scene where Khan conquers Rue's character but as I got to know more about the world I finally understood how pimps get into the heads of vulnerable women.  As a side note it is obvious that not all Starfleet officers have to endure the psych simulator mentioned later in the series as Lt MacGyvers most likely would have failed.

Plot : As part of the story Kirk allows Khan access to the library computer without suspecting Khan's unique background.  This coming a couple episodes after Tomorrow is Yesterday when Kirk comes to realize in short order unrestricted access to an unknown person is a bad idea and potentially devastating.  Khan about 3 quarters of the way in to the episode incapacitates the crew to take over the ship.  Poor security too often is used to advance the story and in this case guards should have been posted far more densely in proximity to Khan so if Khan takes on one the next hits Khan with phaser set on stun.  Also, the transporter is a poor plot device as well here.  Standing order should be when any "guest" is free to roam the ship the transporter room should be secured via being locked from the inside.  Also, there should be a remote log available to the bridge to know any activity.  Somebody beams to the Botany Bay then somebody on the bridge instantly notifies Kirk.  This is just general security that should be implemented.  Yes, until it happened it seemed improbable that Khan could take the ship but the whole point of tight security with strangers is not to give them gaps to slip through for any purpose.

Enterprise crew :  A good showing by the regulars in this episode.  Perhaps the high-water mark for DeForrest Kelley in his scene where he basically dares Khan to slit his throat.  Shatner is excellent in his scenes with Montalban such as the one where Khan makes his observations about Kirk being inferior.  Nimoy is good in the dinner party scene and the after conversation about Khan.  

Writing : Plenty of good dialogue.  Tough to write an hour episode of television and have everything coherent but no character suffered through having their persona or intelligence short changed other than Kirk with the previously mentioned unrestricted access.  

Summary : An entertaining episode that adds depth to the Star Trek universe.  Khan.  Eugenics Wars.  I give it an A -.

I'm a little worn down by the heat even though the AC is on.  I was going to write a little more but lack the energy.  Even on my best days I don't see myself here on this thread every day.  Might be for the best as less chance for thread fatigue.  

Edited by RochesterRob
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RochesterRob

• B-Man

• devnull

• Crap Throwing Clavin

Cool thread & good recap.

Have been watching Startrek: Enterprise with the morning workout.  Not really sure why.  Had seen episodes from the 1st season on occasion & always thought they were pretty good, so when finished with Burn Notice saw it was on Anazon Prime & started watching.

Though their science is REALLY bad (they treat matter at energized states (aka 'plasma') as if it was a liquid like blood plasma, & they also have a hard time explaining how humans can speak with aliens they never met before & even Vulcans hadn't met before & the "universal translator" which is their explanation typically is unevenly used as just 2 examples) it was entertaining.  

The Temporal Cold War was a bit hard to take, but fun.  But their Xindi War in the 3rd season jumped the shark early.  Am only watching the 4th season because it is getting even dumber & there is an impending train wreck that you just can't turn away from sort of vibe.

Loved the original series.  Watched NG some but couldn't stand the way they just got tired w/ the Borg plot line and basically just ended it like a Clancy novel ends.  (Aka, a ton of build up & then he gets bored writing and the conclusion which could run another 100 pages ends in ~4.)

Never watched any of the other series.

Edited by Taro T
  • Like 2

Loved TNG, TOS, and DS9.  Voyager and Enterprise had their moments.  I've still got a nerd crush on Hoshi.

The reboot movies would have been better if they existed as a new crew within the Trek Universe rather than a character reboot

Discovery has been garbage

Picard was interesting and I'm curious where a season 2 goes.

I'm looking forward to the Discovery spinoff with Pike and Spock.  I'm wary of the character reboots but casting Anson Mount as a Starfleet Captain intrigues me.  Mount previously starred in Hell on Wheels.  I'm hoping he plays Pike as Cullen Bohannen in Space

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, devnull said:

Loved TNG, TOS, and DS9.  Voyager and Enterprise had their moments.  I've still got a nerd crush on Hoshi.

The reboot movies would have been better if they existed as a new crew within the Trek Universe rather than a character reboot

I'm looking forward to the Discovery spinoff with Pike and Spock.  I'm wary of the character reboots but casting Anson Mount as a Starfleet Captain intrigues me.  Mount previously starred in Hell on Wheels.  I'm hoping he plays Pike as Cullen Bohannen in Space

When you said Anson Mount, for some reason was thinking of Anson Williams.  Was wondering why they were setting Pike & Spock up for the Pike in a Box years if they were bringing Potsie in to play Pike.  :classic_huh: 

Oooops.

RochesterRob
2 hours ago, Taro T said:

Cool thread & good recap.

Have been watching Startrek: Enterprise with the morning workout.  Not really sure why.  Had seen episodes from the 1st season on occasion & always thought they were pretty good, so when finished with Burn Notice saw it was on Anazon Prime & started watching.

Though their science is REALLY bad (they treat matter at energized states (aka 'plasma') as if it was a liquid like blood plasma, & they also have a hard time explaining how humans can speak with aliens they never met before & even Vulcans hadn't met before & the "universal translator" which is their explanation typically is unevenly used as just 2 examples) it was entertaining.  

The Temporal Cold War was a bit hard to take, but fun.  But their Xindi War in the 3rd season jumped the shark early.  Am only watching the 4th season because it is getting even dumber & there is an impending train wreck that you just can't turn away from sort of vibe.

Loved the original series.  Watched NG some but couldn't stand the way they just got tired w/ the Borg plot line and basically just ended it like a Clancy novel ends.  (Aka, a ton of build up & then he gets bored writing and the conclusion which could run another 100 pages ends in ~4.)

Never watched any of the other series.

Yeah, the Borg went from being invincible to just find the outlet and pull out their plug in one heck of a hurry.  An important episode because prior to BOBW the series was not performing all that well in the ratings if my memory is any good.

• Like 1

RochesterRob
2 hours ago, devnull said:

I see no hope for the movies.  Paramount is not willing to do anything other than the crew facing an ominous bad guy which has gotten quite stale.  I don't care what the motivation is for said bad guy anymore.  Paramount must figure that formula is the only safe approach for investing in a movie.  

I tried watching Discovery but gave up in short order.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

10 hours ago, RochesterRob said:

I see no hope for the movies.  Paramount is not willing to do anything other than the crew facing an ominous bad guy which has gotten quite stale.  I don't care what the motivation is for said bad guy anymore.  Paramount must figure that formula is the only safe approach for investing in a movie.  

I tried watching Discovery but gave up in short order.

Regarding what you said about the Star Trek movies is no different than just about any other theatrical release movies of the 21st century.

Other than the LoTR trilogy and war movies like 1917, Dunkirk, or We Were Soldiers, I cant think of any movies that big movies that weren't just cookie cutter movies

Regarding Discovery, the beginning of the first season was garbage.  There was an interesting mirror universe arc for a couple episodes but then back to garbage.  

Other than Anson Mount / Cullen Bohannen in space, season 2 was garbage.  And season 3 wasn't just garbage but the kind of garbage that sat around too long and starts to stink

Enterprise had a great premise. It's unfortunate that it fell victim to viewer fatigue (Star Trek series had been on in one form or another for ~15 straight years at that point), and writer fatigue. Hell, they copied at least one Voyager script damn near verbatim for an Enterprise episode.

The 'Temporal Cold War' was just uninspired bullshit to try to have more modern Trek baddies show up. The Borg Episode was assimilated from a public restroom toilet after discount taco night at a local gas station, and the Xindi nonsense plain sucked.

The mirror universe episodes weren't bad, and the Terra Prime arc was fantastic. It's a shame that both came so late in the series. The final episode was just insulting to the cast.

Edited by Koko

RochesterRob

The Mirror Universe as a story generator was both hit and miss.  TOS mirror was fairly weak in my mind and Spock with a beard did not hold my interest.  Having said that little did we know that Uhura and the guest female yeoman would launch a very hot fashion trend in recent times with thigh high boots, mini skirts, and plunging top complete with bare midriff.  DS9 had some good mirror stories with Sisko and O'Brien but it was time to give it up when it got to the Ferengi needing to rescue their leader.  Enterprise did OK with its hard homage to TOS complete with the lost Defiant.

RochesterRob
1 hour ago, bdutton said:

qZWzTaY.jpg

I've always liked both TV Khan and movie Khan but for me Space Seed Khan has the edge.  You just can't dismiss a one time dictator who who believes that he can win a universe with a phaser and talking smack.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Koko said:

Enterprise had a great premise. It's unfortunate that it fell victim to viewer fatigue (Star Trek series had been on in one form or another for ~15 straight years at that point), and writer fatigue. Hell, they copied at least one Voyager script damn near verbatim for an Enterprise episode.

The 'Temporal Cold War' was just uninspired bullshit to try to have more modern Trek baddies show up. The Borg Episode was assimilated from a public restroom toilet after discount taco night at a local gas station, and the Xindi nonsense plain sucked.

The mirror universe episodes weren't bad, and the Terra Prime arc was fantastic. It's a shame that both came so late in the series. The final episode was just insulting to the cast.

Not up to the mirror universe stuff on Enterprise yet.  Guess after suffering through the Xindi garbage will have to stick it out to the bitter end.

3 hours ago, RochesterRob said:

The Mirror Universe as a story generator was both hit and miss.  TOS mirror was fairly weak in my mind and Spock with a beard did not hold my interest.  Having said that little did we know that Uhura and the guest female yeoman would launch a very hot fashion trend in recent times with thigh high boots, mini skirts, and plunging top complete with bare midriff.  DS9 had some good mirror stories with Sisko and O'Brien but it was time to give it up when it got to the Ferengi needing to rescue their leader.  Enterprise did OK with its hard homage to TOS complete with the lost Defiant.

I wish they had done an entirely separate series with the ST:E - Mirror Universe. That was the best of Enterprise.

11 hours ago, bdutton said:

I wish they had done an entirely separate series with the ST:E - Mirror Universe. That was the best of Enterprise.

Loved STE mirror universe.  Like I mentioned above, I've still got a nerd crush on Hoshi 

Also enjoyed the arc with Brent Spiner tying together the Augments, smooth headed Klingons, and the origins of Cmdr Data

RochesterRob

Tonight's review will be of the episode Errand of Mercy airing on (WHEC) 10.5 Roch Heroes and Icons.  In short the Enterprise is sent to the planet Organia in anticipation of hostilities opening between the Federation and the Klingon Empire.  At first Kirk once on Organia can only see what's on the surface with the planet's inhabitants with an occasional observation that gets passed off as one step above clairvoyance.  The ending puts out in the open that the Federation and Klingons are not the only ones who possess great power.

Guest Stars : John Colicos is delightful as the military head sent to Organia to administer the population once subjugated.  Colicos throws himself into the part and we have no problem believing in his character.  I will further cover him in the writing portion of the review.  John Abbott plays Ayelborne who is loosely the head of the Organian council.  He brings a calm cool presence to his character which is highlighted when Kirk is frustrated with the passiveness of the Organians.   

Plot :  Without giving away too much the Organians are far more than what they would seem to be in the first few acts.  Having encountered the Thasians, Metrons, etc before this episode you would think Kirk would have his beyond mortal meter working when observing the Organians as should Spock but the Organians true nature is not revealed before the final 10 minutes.  But maybe that is part of the intention here to let an outsider's observations initially lull him into arrogance and inflated self-importance.  

Not too clear as to why Organia is so important to either side as it seems both sides are going a way out of their respective way to control it.  Oh well, better than the bunch of episodes in Season 2 that revolve around dilithium which is implied as extremely rare yet abundant when looking at the sum of episodes together.  

Here is where the Klingon's reputation as being brutal is established.  Kirk and Spock elude the Klingons and Colicos' character Kor orders the "execution" of 200 Organians.  I'm not overly impressed with the Organian Peace Treaty as put into implementation in later episodes such as The Trouble with Tribbles.  A political power that would readily murder innocents is arbitrarily put on par with the Federation that uses no such practices for purpose of treaty?  

Enterprise crew : I like Kirk here even the he is perhaps a little more clueless here than what he should be given his experience.  He is sent to do a job in establishing an outpost on Organia and his immediate concern with the inhabitants is to bring them on board with being partners of the Federation.  Be a leader first and a friend second.  Kirk's interaction with Kor is remind us that alpha's such as Kirk are willing to be submissive for only so long before resenting it.  Spock is used here to represent the audience which becomes obvious in the climax where he watches Kirk give his motivations to the Organians for the final time.  Sulu is given plenty to do as he is given command while Kirk and Spock are away including shying away from a numerically superior Klingon fleet.  I can't help but feel that there should have been some McCoy or Scotty time but maybe that was wisely dispensed to Colicos and Abbott.

Writing :  Plenty of good dialogue especially for Colicos.  He is given such gems as "Fools, will I have to kill them all?  I also like the lines for Abbott such as at the end when he tells Kirk how this (Organian village) is mere appearance for Kirk's sake of comprehension.  Also, the episode is paced quite well with little time wasted.  

Music :  Although recycled I like the cues for the transition from being on the Enterprise to beaming down and the cue used for revealing the true nature of the Organians.

Summary : A very thought provoking episode that comments about the nature of 1960's super powers and what many may have wished to happen to intervene when conflict seems imminent.  Kirk, Spock, Colicos, Abbott.  I give it an A.  

Tired once again and wish I had more energy as I had more to say but really need to have dinner and veg out a little.  Anyways, a top episode for me.

• Like 1
  • FANtastic 1

Star Trek Enterprise - Season 4 Episode 11 Observer Effect

Really bad science moment:

Won't get into the plot, that was actually interesting.  But 2 of the crew (Tucker & Sato) get infected by a silicone based virus that is reproducing so rapidly that it is feared by Dr. Phlox that the virus will kill them within hours.

How exactly is the SILICONE based virus rapidly replicating in the CARBON based crew members?  Were they eating buckets of sand while in the decontamination chamber?

Now, were T'Pol the infected crew member, might know the source of the raw material building the infection.  😉

Edited by Taro T
  • Like 1