• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RochesterRob

• B-Man

• devnull

• Crap Throwing Clavin

51 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Screen-Shot-2021-11-07-at-9.04.58-PM.png

Man, no wonder Khan was pissed when the planet went to hell and turned into a desert.

• Like 1

This week's review will be of the episode The Enemy Within airing Wednesday Nov 17 on WHEC 10.5 Rochester Heroes and Icons.  In short a routine research mission becomes haywire when Kirk is split into two polar opposite versions of himself courtesy of the transporter being screwed up by an unusual ore.  Hanging in the balance is Sulu along with the research landing party who are stranded on the planet surface facing arctic conditions.  It soon becomes obvious as to why there is a Kirk plus "imposter" to Spock and McCoy who devise a solution to reunite the two Kirk's through the transporter solving the problem of Kirk's existence then rescuing the landing party.   

Guest Stars : While there were guests none of those people were headliners.  Rand AKA GL Whitney is filed under the Enterprise crew section.

Plot : OK, the episode revolves around a transporter accident that impacts Kirk.  Sounds like good drama.  Just don't think about the science involved or lack of.  For two living Kirk's there has to be double the mass involved of Kirk's single body.  Where did that mass come from and how did the transporter convert it into complex living tissue?  Then there is the phaser accident in engineering where Evil Kirk is stunned.  OK, no harm in that but it is unforgivable for Scott to have to stumble upon the mess of a control mechanism that governs operation of the transporter versus getting a report from Spock.  OK, the transporter mess screws up the rescue but while the ship has pods (established in The Corbomite Manuever) none are sent to the planet surface with badly needed supplies?  I'm even being forgiving in that I know the shuttlecraft was not available yet from a production standpoint even though it would have screwed up the plot devices in place.

Production : OK, we have strayed on to the subject of production so lets focus on it.  We were a little light on guest stars so lets fill some space here.  The episode started out as a contribution by Richard Matheson the noted SF writer.  Was he happy as to how the final product was made?  It has been said that many season one writers were unhappy as to how the efforts were treated when the cameras started rolling.  That ideas were squashed in favor of drama.  The strength of the episode is in Shatner's performance and not in the accident or how it was dealt with.  As the series went forward more stories were created by staff such as Gene Coon and DC Fontana.  It has been said that many noted SF writers did not want to re-up with new stories for fear of their ideas being shelved.  While we are at it I recall reading that Animal House veteran Tim Matheson is a nephew of Richard Matheson.  Now lets discuss director Leo Penn who was Sean Penn's daddy.  Desilu was apparently very unhappy with L Penn as he went significantly over the allotted filming time.  And that is not all that big a problem for me.  While I think this was a very good Shatner episode there were times where Shatner needed a little reigning in.  And Spock should have never been allowed to smile while talking with Rand about her known sexual assault.  For a show set in the 23rd Century should we in general be beyond the concept of boys will be boys.

Enterprise Crew : For me this was an excellent Shatner episode even in light of some of the over the top moments.  I've read where some actors are extremely uncomfortable doing a sexual assault scene.  For example there was the All In The Family episode where Edith gets raped on her 50th birthday.  The actor who played the rapist said for many years afterward he got hate mail including death threats over it.  It was not an easy job but one he elected to follow through on to some regret.  But having never been involved with a sexual assault situation personally I would say that Shatner gave an honest portrayal.  After that he gives us something to think about in terms of good versus evil in terms of everyday living.  This was a good Spock episode as it gave him human traits to glimpse at and comment about as the definition of his character being half-human was not complete by that point.  The same observation for Shatner concerning the sexual assault scene goes for Grace Lee Whitney.  Had to be hard for her as she was enduring the same thing in real life while being on the studio grounds.  I enjoyed Farrell as part of the crew even though actor Jim Goodwin does not meet Hollywood's standard of handsome.  I wished he would have turned up more but for season 1 the format was have a guest to handle the navigator's position.  Good depth with crewmen Fisher and Wilson.

Writing : While I enjoyed the character's analysis of personality traits I though in general that is was perhaps handled on the clumsy side.  Some of Kirk's dialogue did not make a whole lot of sense.  Such as informing the crew of the accident and their right to know.  I know Roddenberry was a fan of old radio dramas and maybe that approach fit there but not here.  The Spock-Rand scene near the end needed a different approach even for 1966.  At some points the episode was a little Kirk heavy.  Mentioned in the plot section but I will expand upon it here that Scott is really not written as a person that you would believe was the chief engineer.  He should have been a little more central to things.

Music : We now get to hear some of the familiar strains to signal dramatic moments.  Good KIrk in Sickbay looking at evil Kirk.  Good Kirk and Spock stalking Evil Kirk in engineering.  The Rand Assault scene.

Special effects spotlight : Not a big episode in terms of happenings but we get a reworked planet in the remaster.

Summary : This is where it gets complicated.  There is some pretty good aspects in the social analysis and in particular the sexual assault scene.  Shatner, Nimoy, and Whitney are very strong.  There is some bad in the science and how Scotty was written.  At some points Shatner should have been reigned in.  But the bottom line is I'M CAPTAIN KIRK!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I feel like I have used up my allotment of B-'s for the time being but I am feeling generous so it gets (a maybe mildly undeserved) B.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, RochesterRob said:

This week's review will be of the episode The Enemy Within airing Wednesday Nov 17 on WHEC 10.5 Rochester Heroes and Icons.  In short a routine research mission becomes haywire when Kirk is split into two polar opposite versions of himself courtesy of the transporter being screwed up by an unusual ore.  Hanging in the balance is Sulu along with the research landing party who are stranded on the planet surface facing arctic conditions.  It soon becomes obvious as to why there is a Kirk plus "imposter" to Spock and McCoy who devise a solution to reunite the two Kirk's through the transporter solving the problem of Kirk's existence then rescuing the landing party.   

Guest Stars : While there were guests none of those people were headliners.  Rand AKA GL Whitney is filed under the Enterprise crew section.

Plot : OK, the episode revolves around a transporter accident that impacts Kirk.  Sounds like good drama.  Just don't think about the science involved or lack of.  For two living Kirk's there has to be double the mass involved of Kirk's single body.  Where did that mass come from and how did the transporter convert it into complex living tissue?  Then there is the phaser accident in engineering where Evil Kirk is stunned.  OK, no harm in that but it is unforgivable for Scott to have to stumble upon the mess of a control mechanism that governs operation of the transporter versus getting a report from Spock.  OK, the transporter mess screws up the rescue but while the ship has pods (established in The Corbomite Manuever) none are sent to the planet surface with badly needed supplies?  I'm even being forgiving in that I know the shuttlecraft was not available yet from a production standpoint even though it would have screwed up the plot devices in place.

Production : OK, we have strayed on to the subject of production so lets focus on it.  We were a little light on guest stars so lets fill some space here.  The episode started out as a contribution by Richard Matheson the noted SF writer.  Was he happy as to how the final product was made?  It has been said that many season one writers were unhappy as to how the efforts were treated when the cameras started rolling.  That ideas were squashed in favor of drama.  The strength of the episode is in Shatner's performance and not in the accident or how it was dealt with.  As the series went forward more stories were created by staff such as Gene Coon and DC Fontana.  It has been said that many noted SF writers did not want to re-up with new stories for fear of their ideas being shelved.  While we are at it I recall reading that Animal House veteran Tim Matheson is a nephew of Richard Matheson.  Now lets discuss director Leo Penn who was Sean Penn's daddy.  Desilu was apparently very unhappy with L Penn as he went significantly over the allotted filming time.  And that is not all that big a problem for me.  While I think this was a very good Shatner episode there were times where Shatner needed a little reigning in.  And Spock should have never been allowed to smile while talking with Rand about her known sexual assault.  For a show set in the 23rd Century should we in general be beyond the concept of boys will be boys.

Enterprise Crew : For me this was an excellent Shatner episode even in light of some of the over the top moments.  I've read where some actors are extremely uncomfortable doing a sexual assault scene.  For example there was the All In The Family episode where Edith gets raped on her 50th birthday.  The actor who played the rapist said for many years afterward he got hate mail including death threats over it.  It was not an easy job but one he elected to follow through on to some regret.  But having never been involved with a sexual assault situation personally I would say that Shatner gave an honest portrayal.  After that he gives us something to think about in terms of good versus evil in terms of everyday living.  This was a good Spock episode as it gave him human traits to glimpse at and comment about as the definition of his character being half-human was not complete by that point.  The same observation for Shatner concerning the sexual assault scene goes for Grace Lee Whitney.  Had to be hard for her as she was enduring the same thing in real life while being on the studio grounds.  I enjoyed Farrell as part of the crew even though actor Jim Goodwin does not meet Hollywood's standard of handsome.  I wished he would have turned up more but for season 1 the format was have a guest to handle the navigator's position.  Good depth with crewmen Fisher and Wilson.

Writing : While I enjoyed the character's analysis of personality traits I though in general that is was perhaps handled on the clumsy side.  Some of Kirk's dialogue did not make a whole lot of sense.  Such as informing the crew of the accident and their right to know.  I know Roddenberry was a fan of old radio dramas and maybe that approach fit there but not here.  The Spock-Rand scene near the end needed a different approach even for 1966.  At some points the episode was a little Kirk heavy.  Mentioned in the plot section but I will expand upon it here that Scott is really not written as a person that you would believe was the chief engineer.  He should have been a little more central to things.

Music : We now get to hear some of the familiar strains to signal dramatic moments.  Good KIrk in Sickbay looking at evil Kirk.  Good Kirk and Spock stalking Evil Kirk in engineering.  The Rand Assault scene.

Special effects spotlight : Not a big episode in terms of happenings but we get a reworked planet in the remaster.

Summary : This is where it gets complicated.  There is some pretty good aspects in the social analysis and in particular the sexual assault scene.  Shatner, Nimoy, and Whitney are very strong.  There is some bad in the science and how Scotty was written.  At some points Shatner should have been reigned in.  But the bottom line is I'M CAPTAIN KIRK!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I feel like I have used up my allotment of B-'s for the time being but I am feeling generous so it gets (a maybe mildly undeserved) B.

Had never heard about the assault story.  Yeah, that must've been really difficult to film when it also happened in real life.  Didn't Yeoman Rand also get assaulted in the Charlie X episode?  Kind of extra cruel to have to play that role.

10 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Had never heard about the assault story.  Yeah, that must've been really difficult to film when it also happened in real life.  Didn't Yeoman Rand also get assaulted in the Charlie X episode?  Kind of extra cruel to have to play that role.

In Charlie X it was unwanted hitting on so no sexual assault there.  Maybe somebody knows more about the behind the scenes stuff than I do but at one point she indicated it was somebody who worked for NBC.  Which seems kind of weird since she obviously did not want to name names but at the same time it was a very small group of men who would have drifted over to Desilu from NBC on any kind of regular basis.  Since she only appeared in the first 10 episodes the whole thing had to have happened very rapidly.  I kind of wonder if whoever this person was had a direct hand in ruining her career.  Seems like she had the staying power to appear on the myriad of cop/detective shows which were the rage back then.  

• Cheers 1

36 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

In Charlie X it was unwanted hitting on so no sexual assault there.  Maybe somebody knows more about the behind the scenes stuff than I do but at one point she indicated it was somebody who worked for NBC.  Which seems kind of weird since she obviously did not want to name names but at the same time it was a very small group of men who would have drifted over to Desilu from NBC on any kind of regular basis.  Since she only appeared in the first 10 episodes the whole thing had to have happened very rapidly.  I kind of wonder if whoever this person was had a direct hand in ruining her career.  Seems like she had the staying power to appear on the myriad of cop/detective shows which were the rage back then.  

I just tried to research it a little further and cannot find anything conclusive for me to change the story I had read from many years ago.  Some say a NBC executive and others say Desilu.  All kinds of guessing as to when the encounter happened.  Rape seems to be the more bandied explanation currently than sexual assault.  I think one thing which is conclusive is that Gene Roddenberry was no friend to her regardless of any personal involvement he may have had.  Whitney is gone to go and ask and her confidant Nimoy likewise not around to ask.  If she was not assaulted prior to TEW she most likely was under immense pressure by some guy.  Hard to take on in terms of an acting assignment given the likely circumstances.  

Edited by RochesterRob
  • Cheers 1

Crap Throwing Clavin
17 hours ago, RochesterRob said:

I just tried to research it a little further and cannot find anything conclusive for me to change the story I had read from many years ago.  Some say a NBC executive and others say Desilu.  All kinds of guessing as to when the encounter happened.  Rape seems to be the more bandied explanation currently than sexual assault.  I think one thing which is conclusive is that Gene Roddenberry was no friend to her regardless of any personal involvement he may have had.  Whitney is gone to go and ask and her confidant Nimoy likewise not around to ask.  If she was not assaulted prior to TEW she most likely was under immense pressure by some guy.  Hard to take on in terms of an acting assignment given the likely circumstances.  

The only people who really knew what happened, for sure, where Whitney, Nimoy, and Whitney's rapist.  

I always suspected it was Herb Solow (as the senior Desilu exec on the show)...until I read Whitney's memoirs.  She drops major, practically undeniable, hints that it was Roddenberry who raped her, at the wrap party for the finish of the filming of "Charlie X."

29 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

The only people who really knew what happened, for sure, where Whitney, Nimoy, and Whitney's rapist.  

I always suspected it was Herb Solow (as the senior Desilu exec on the show)...until I read Whitney's memoirs.  She drops major, practically undeniable, hints that it was Roddenberry who raped her, at the wrap party for the finish of the filming of "Charlie X."

I had read it was quite early in the production schedule for season 1.  Charlie X is 8th in terms of production order which would be after The Enemy Within which was 5th.  I guess there is no way of knowing for sure when but it seems like there was sexual harassment prior.  Aside from being attacked there is just no way of knowing for sure as to the flow of events.  

Crap Throwing Clavin
4 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

I've thought that the timing would place it a couple weeks into the first season production which would approximate Charlie X.  I've also thought that there was a burning need by the offender to get her out of there ASAP but Whitney most likely had a signed contract for The Naked Time, The Enemy Within, and Miri as they were coming up on the production schedule.  Breaking a SAG contract would have nearly impossible to do.  It was hinted that Whitney was supposed to have been included in The Dagger of The Mind and more to do for Conscience of the King but most likely that is when the boom got lowered on Whitney.  My understanding is that the supporting actors really did not know too far ahead as to the plans by the producer.  

"Charlie X," while the second aired, was the eighth episode filmed, in mid-July, '66.  "Conscience of the King," her last appearance, was late September '66.  So she lasted a little more than two months after her assault.  

And the official reason given was budgetary - with De Kelly getting a more prominent role, and the supporting actors demanding more screen time, and Gene Coon coming on board as associate producer at a hefty price, "executives" argued that they had to cut someone.  Honestly...probably a mix of that, her rapist wanting her off the set, and Whitney starting to go to pieces after being assaulted - she had a history of substance abuse issues, which were doubtlessly exacerbated by her assault.

Really, she had a very troubled early life, and did well to overcome it as well as she did.  Remarkable woman.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

"Charlie X," while the second aired, was the eighth episode filmed, in mid-July, '66.  "Conscience of the King," her last appearance, was late September '66.  So she lasted a little more than two months after her assault.  

And the official reason given was budgetary - with De Kelly getting a more prominent role, and the supporting actors demanding more screen time, and Gene Coon coming on board as associate producer at a hefty price, "executives" argued that they had to cut someone.  Honestly...probably a mix of that, her rapist wanting her off the set, and Whitney starting to go to pieces after being assaulted - she had a history of substance abuse issues, which were doubtlessly exacerbated by her assault.

Really, she had a very troubled early life, and did well to overcome it as well as she did.  Remarkable woman.

Yep, I had a brain fart in terms of remembering the production schedule so I started over along with deleting my prior response.

This week's review will be of the episode Conscience of the King airing Thursday Nov 26 on WHEC 10.5 Rochester Heroes and Icons.  In short a response to a transmission by a life long friend of Kirk's leads into the path of a nefarious person from Kirk's youth.  The friend is murdered and an attempt is made on a crewman with a common past with Kirk.  In the end it is found that a close relative of the nefarious person is the one in fact responsible for the murder of Kirk's friend along with others from Kirk's past.

Guest Stars : Arnold Moss as Karidian aka Kodos the executioner who was governor of the planet Kirk lived on while a child.  I like Moss' performance and he was able to convey the torment he felt from making what proved to be a devastating decision concerning some of the lives of the colony he was administrating.  "I AM TIRED!!" weighed heavily with me as Moss emoted that short sentence.  Barbara Anderson as Karidian's daughter Lenore.  Anderson's career was not all that long for somebody who made their way onto television somewhat early in their life.  Anderson does well as to flirt with Kirk but her diction left something to be desired.  Assuming she was not aiming for creating some kind of accent I cringed when she called the captain "Keark" unless she was "kearked" (drunk) while performing.  

Plot : OK, Kirk strays from the ordinary in terms of bringing the acting company aboard the Enterprise so he can play detective.  It is also implied this violates standard orders concerning passengers and destination.  I guess that the Federation has no legal division to hand this off to for investigation?  At the end Lenore is sent to a rehab colony instead of a penal colony even though she murders several people in the name of preserving a false image of her father.  Awfully, kind of Kirk and rather arbitrary given Kirk's judgmental nature when it comes to the criminal actions of others including former love Janice Lester.  

Enterprise Crew : A good episode for Spock and McCoy in terms of evaluating the captain's decisions relative to the conduct and mission of the ship.  Was suspicion of a detained passenger sufficient reason to change albeit moderately the mission of the ship?  I thought this was a good episode for Riley as well.  Some in actor Bruce Hyde's delivery and getting to see the mundane side of being a starship crewman.  That just like in ordinary life a person gets thrown a curveball for no apparent reason such as just having come up from engineering and without explanation being sent back down.  

Writing : I know that the intention was to heavily follow Anderson seeing that she was a prominent guest star but she never seemed up to the task in my eyes.  I would have given Riley and perhaps another guest some of her time.  Also, it is hard to swallow Kodos' actions as governor.  I would have made Kodos guilty of a different crime that still impacted the colonist substantially.  Killing half of a population to extend food for just a short period of time to the balance seems rather unhinged for the antagonist of a one hour television show.  

Music : No cue really sticks out in my mind so I guess for myself anyways the music really did not do much to enhance the production.

Summary : A good performance by Moss but WTF when it came to Anderson and her character's motivation.  The Enemy Within gives us the first glimpse as to how a starship captain is overseen and we get to see it to good effect here.  I give it a C.   

• Cheers 1

Crap Throwing Clavin
19 hours ago, RochesterRob said:

Plot : OK, Kirk strays from the ordinary in terms of bringing the acting company aboard the Enterprise so he can play detective.  It is also implied this violates standard orders concerning passengers and destination.  I guess that the Federation has no legal division to hand this off to for investigation? 

The concept behind Star Trek and the "5 year mission" was "Hornblower in space" and "Wagon Train to the stars," which was intended to give Kirk (all starship captains, really - Pike, Decker, Tracey, etc.) great freedom of action for dramatic purposes.  The Enterprise is basically on a frontier patrol, and as such Kirk is an authority unto himself, and as such there really isn't a legal division with oversight.

19 hours ago, RochesterRob said:

At the end Lenore is sent to a rehab colony instead of a penal colony even though she murders several people in the name of preserving a false image of her father.  Awfully, kind of Kirk and rather arbitrary given Kirk's judgmental nature when it comes to the criminal actions of others including former love Janice Lester.  

All part of Roddenberry's "utopian society" vision of Star Trek.  Criminal justice is reformative, not punitive.  

And again, Kirk has the authority to be arbitrary, because of the above.

The real inconsistency with Kirk's authority and lack of oversight comes with the episode Court Martial, where Kirk is put on trial for his actions.  

And The Conscience of the King is one of my more favorite episodes, for being unusual in being grounded more heavily in drama than action than most episodes.  Not that it isn't flawed...but it shows a lot of the strengths of TOS, as well as the weaknesses.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

The concept behind Star Trek and the "5 year mission" was "Hornblower in space" and "Wagon Train to the stars," which was intended to give Kirk (all starship captains, really - Pike, Decker, Tracey, etc.) great freedom of action for dramatic purposes.  The Enterprise is basically on a frontier patrol, and as such Kirk is an authority unto himself, and as such there really isn't a legal division with oversight.

All part of Roddenberry's "utopian society" vision of Star Trek.  Criminal justice is reformative, not punitive.  

And again, Kirk has the authority to be arbitrary, because of the above.

The real inconsistency with Kirk's authority and lack of oversight comes with the episode Court Martial, where Kirk is put on trial for his actions.  

And The Conscience of the King is one of my more favorite episodes, for being unusual in being grounded more heavily in drama than action than most episodes.  Not that it isn't flawed...but it shows a lot of the strengths of TOS, as well as the weaknesses.

Many times though it seemed like there was a schedule to keep and Kirk sounded like there would be very mild repercussions for transporting the Karidian Company of Players.  Schedule versus mission were definite issues in The Galileo Seven and Obsession.  

I don't mind having differing opinions as to episode quality and would be interested in knowing what makes Conscience of the King work for you.  Discussion even if our opinions vary is encouraged.

This week's review will be of the episode The Squire of Gothos airing Wednesday Dec 1 on WHEC 10.5 Rochester Heroes & Icons.  In short a chance short cut through space leads to an encounter with an apparently Omnipotent alien with childish human qualities.  Of course the alien takes offense to Kirk's offense of the alien disrupting his mission.  Threatened with death Kirk eludes the alien until the final minutes when the alien's parents interceded sparing Kirk and the Enterprise.

Guest Star : William J Campbell as Trelane the Squire of Gothos.  A pretty good job playing what would be considered a human child in terms of attitude and experience.  Campbell's resume to this point had pretty much consisted of playing tough guys and rogues.  Also, a protector of his craft.  In the scene where Kirk is placed on "trial for his crimes" an incorrect wig had been provided for Campbell to wear considering the background of the court room scene.  Campbell protested even to the annoyance of Shatner but prevailed nonetheless as an English judges wig was found and fitted to Campbell before resuming filming.  Campbell was regarded well enough that he was brought back the following season as a different character.  He and Morgan Woodward being among the earliest to do this in the franchise.

Plot : The essence of which is we have to accept that aliens can have motivations outside the hard confines of mature and scientific reasoning.  This episode comes off as a bit raw as we have to accept that Trelane falls for being duped as Kirk shoots out the machine behind the mirror.  Unless we accept the premise that was all part of the game to get Kirk's hopes up only to dash them.  Also, the climax where Trelane's parents show up (as blobs of light) was not very satisfying.

Enterprise Crew : A good episode for Shatner as Kirk is forced to take his chances with an alien that is hard to peg weaknesses on.  DeSalle does well to show barely controlled anger which is apt to happen despite all the likely training a crew person gets to maintain their cool.  I liked the teamwork shown while Spock is putting together the landing party to investigate Kirk's and Sulu's disappearance.

Writing : Probably out of necessity but giving time to supporting players makes the episode more believable in terms of the command officers having to turn to junior officers to offer viewpoints and information in order to make decisions.  Campbell seemed to be in well control of the dialogue given to him.  The series started to smooth out as the change from scene to scene is becoming more fluid by this point in the first season.  Contrast this with The Enemy Within which seemed like it was lost at points especially in terms of examining the split of Kirk.  .

Music : The cue during the climax where Trelane pursues Kirk becomes the standby score for rising danger for our heroes.

Special Effects Bonus : In the remaster we get actual weather systems with discharges of lightning on the "stormy" world of Gothos.

Summary : A strong episode for Campbell and Shatner.  A touchy take on an alien in terms of having a child like mind works here.  I don't have an answer for changing the fight climax but wish something else could have been done other than an intervention.  This comes almost on the heels of  Shore Leave where the crew is bailed out of their problem arbitrarily near the end of that episode.  I liked that we got to see some depth in the crew with DeSalle and Jaeger.  I give it a B.

Edited by RochesterRob
  • Like 1

Thanks Rob for your latest review.

It kind of got me wondering.

Is there some type of "power ranking" for the almighty beings in the Star Trek Universe ?

Like with Trelane's parents, The "Q", The Traveler, The great John Anderson in TNG The Survivors, wishing a whole race out of existence ?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Thanks Rob for your latest review.

It kind of got me wondering.

Is there some type of "power ranking" for the almighty beings in the Star Trek Universe ?

Like with Trelane's parents, The "Q", The Traveler, The great John Anderson in TNG The Survivors, wishing a whole race out of existence ?

Might be time to compile one.  I've been wanting to add additional material.  For the sake of expediency I'd be willing to hand it off to someone who has an inclination to undertake it.  

This week's review will be of the episode A Taste of Armageddon airing Wednesday Dec 8 on WHEC 10.5 Rochester Heroes & Icons.  In short Kirk is ordered to ferry an ambassador to an area where the Federation has experienced losses in terms of ships and manpower.  Soon the reason becomes apparent as the chief planet in the sector desires no relations with outsiders and soon the Enterprise and landing party are in mortal danger.  Through extraordinary efforts by Kirk including cornering the planet's head council and puts the planet on course to face its problems head on sparing the landing party and the Enterprise.

Guest Stars : Another bounty in this episode.  David Apatoshu as Anan 7 the leader of the Eminiar VII council.  Very enjoyable to watch him be overly domineering in justifying Eminiar's actions and delightful to watch him butt heads with Kirk.  We're a killer species!  At least he admits it.  Barbara Babcock as Mea 3.  Dutiful to her planet's unsual ways which includes mandated suicide.  Babcock was considered one of Hollywood's most attractive actresses at the time and as we see her part of it is in the attitude.  She also has a number of TOS appearances under her belt including Trelane's "mother."   Gene Lyon as Ambassador Fox.  You know an actor is good when they can draw raw emotion out of an audience.  Ambassador Fox is not likable.  Plain and simple.  Probably follows real life where it takes coarse personalities to function in a job.  Eminiar does not want to open diplomatic relations?  I don't care.  The Enterprise crew does not like my approach to undertaking the mission?  I don't care!

Plot : The Enterprise is sent to a fairly unknown sector of space to open diplomatic relations.  This is taken as a hostile action which includes declaring the Enterprise as a casualty of war.  Further, this planet deals with its neighboring world by institutional suicide as a means of avoiding open unrestricted warfare.  Kirk : OK for Eminiar not to receive a delegation.  Ghastly wrong to use suicide as a means to solve a problem of society.  1960's American society up for examination but not for the reasons normally cited when discussing this episode.  Usually, this episode is referenced as an analogy for the Vietnam War with its daily body counts.  Although quite young I can still remember the 6:30 evening news ALWAYS leading off by discussing the action in Vietnam complete with body count.  Usually, we see a field reporter filing his story from Saigon.  What the real story is although repulsive to most of use should we judge another society for using suicide as a means for solving diplomatic problems?  Some might say going to Vietnam was a form of foretold suicide.  Was it? Approximately 58,000 died but many came home.  A sizable number with emotional health issues.  Would the war have gone on as long as it did if death was simply inevitable?

Enterprise Crew : An excellent episode for McCoy and Scotty.  The hagis is in the fire for sure.  The best diplomat I know is a fully activated phaser bank.  Fox sure made their time while he was aboard miserable.  Sean Kenny has impeccable timing as his DePaul appears during the apex of the series.  Even Yeoman Tamura is watchable.  Of course one of the best Kirk episodes as he is best when he is in conflict with another character (or two).  An excellent Spock episode as Spock watches a society that is different from the norms he is used.  Vulcan society probably allows for suicide but most likely for very select purposes.  It had to unnerve even him to watch it in broad strokes.

Writing : Not much to say as there is nothing that I would readily change about this episode in this manner.  Whether we like it or not the episode rolled the dice with mass suicide as a societal solution.  From Kirk's view point the audience is not supposed to like it.  But the concept is there for examination.  Time and dialogue distribution is near perfect.  

Music : While no cue stands out it must be like an offensive lineman.  If nothing was grating then each score served its purpose.  

Special effects bonus : We get the usual planet upgrade in the remaster and some tight orbital shots of the Enterprise.

Summary : An episode with very strong guests and good showcases for the regulars.  Something to think about in terms of diplomacy.  An analogy of then current events with the effect varying from individual to individual.  One could quibble with Kirk's approach to respecting Code 710 (avoid this planet) versus diving in whole hog to shut down institutional suicide.  I give it an A -.

Edited by RochesterRob
  • Cheers 1

This week's review will be of the episode Operation Annihilate airing Wednesday Dec 15 on WHEC 10.5 Rochester Heroes & Icons.  In short an investigation of apparent insanity popping up on various planets plus subspace contact leads the Enterprise to Denova where they find brain cell type creatures.  These organisms have taken over the population and also have attacked Spock as part of the landing party investigation.  Various tests aboard the Enterprise leads KIrk to deduce sunlight will kill the organisms therefore the Enterprise disperses satellites to aid in spreading sunlight killing the organisms and sparing Spock.

Guest Stars : Joan Swift as Arulan Kirk, James T's SIL.  A good job I thought in terms of showing how she was fighting the pain given to her by the creature.  She spoke her dialog quite well including how the organism through its many parts was moving from world to world.  Some guests stumbled through explanations of phenomena that they did not personally understand but not her.  Craig Hundley as James T's nephew.  Not much to do other than looking stunned but he accomplished that much.

Plot : The creatures are discovered to be individual cells of a much larger life form.  This is quite fascinating at least to me.  So is the concept that they could overtake and control a planet wide population in short order.  Not so impressive is the landing party walking into a trap.  Further, putting their backs to an obviously hostile life form.  Scientific deduction was used to determine what would kill the organism(s).  Done much better than some episodes such as Miri which simply refers to tests.

Enterprise Crew : I liked giving a lot of time to Shatner and Deforest Kelley has perhaps one of his best outings for Season 1.  I like how McCoy reminds Kirk that his obligation extends well past trying to save what is left of Kirk's family.  Nimoy gets quite a bit to do including how Spock was mentally fighting the organism.  Bravo.

Writing : A lot of overlap with Heinlein's The Puppet Masters but Star Trek handled it quite well.  I was not overly impressed with how things were set up with Kirk's family but it does set up the proper motivation for Kirk to solve the problem even when Kirk's family takes on permanent losses.

Music : Good use to show the stress the characters are under at various points in the episode.

Special Effects Spotlight : The Denovan ship on a collision course with the Denovan star.

Summary : A good episode that has impact on the Big Three characters.  Interesting setup for explaining the nature of the invading organism.  Sorry that this write up is fairly short.  I give it an A.  

Edited by RochesterRob
  • Cheers 1

Crap Throwing Clavin
16 hours ago, RochesterRob said:

This week's review will be of the episode Operation Annihilate airing Wednesday Dec 15 on WHEC 10.5 Rochester Heroes & Icons.  In short an investigation of apparent insanity popping up on various planets plus subspace contact leads the Enterprise to Denova where they find brain cell type creatures.  These organisms have taken over the population and also have attacked Spock as part of the landing party investigation.  Various tests aboard the Enterprise leads KIrk to deduce sunlight will kill the organisms therefore the Enterprise disperses satellites to aid in spreading sunlight killing the organisms and sparing Spock.

Guest Stars : Joan Swift as Arulan Kirk, James T's SIL.  A good job I thought in terms of showing how she was fighting the pain given to her by the creature.  She spoke her dialog quite well including how the organism through its many parts was moving from world to world.  Some guests stumbled through explanations of phenomena that they did not personally understand but not her.  Craig Hundley as James T's nephew.  Not much to do other than looking stunned but he accomplished that much.

Plot : The creatures are discovered to be individual cells of a much larger life form.  This is quite fascinating at least to me.  So is the concept that they could overtake and control a planet wide population in short order.  Not so impressive is the landing party walking into a trap.  Further, putting their backs to an obviously hostile life form.  Scientific deduction was used to determine what would kill the organism(s).  Done much better than some episodes such as Miri which simply refers to tests.

Enterprise Crew : I liked giving a lot of time to Shatner and Deforest Kelley has perhaps one of his best outings for Season 1.  I like how McCoy reminds Kirk that his obligation extends well past trying to save what is left of Kirk's family.  Nimoy gets quite a bit to do including how Spock was mentally fighting the organism.  Bravo.

Writing : A lot of overlap with Heinlein's The Puppet Masters but Star Trek handled it quite well.  I was not overly impressed with how things were set up with Kirk's family but it does set up the proper motivation for Kirk to solve the problem even when Kirk's family takes on permanent losses.

Music : Good use to show the stress the characters are under at various points in the episode.

Special Effects Spotlight : The Denovan ship on a collision course with the Denovan star.

Summary : A good episode that has impact on the Big Three characters.  Interesting setup for explaining the nature of the invading organism.  Sorry that this write up is fairly short.  I give it an A.  

I've never liked that episode for one very simple (and admittedly, largely trivial) reason: the episode title has never made any &#%$ing sense to me whatsoever.

• Like 1