Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

2021 Sabres Offseason

ComradeKayAdams

• 3 weeks later...

Too bad about Eichel, but I can’t think of any franchise saviors who endured six years of fronting a league’s worst team.  Every player has his limit.

Get some good players for him and see if they can find some chemistry with a different group.

10 hours ago, KD in CA said:

Too bad about Eichel, but I can’t think of any franchise saviors who endured six years of fronting a league’s worst team.  Every player has his limit.

Get some good players for him and see if they can find some chemistry with a different group.

First one that came to my head was Steve Yzerman. Though he and the Red Wings made two playoff runs starting in his 4th season, they really didn’t start doing anything until he was in the league for almost 10 years.  Also, he started winning Hart Trophies on a pretty regular basis, starting his fourth year, too.

Eichel could only dream to be Yzerman, but the teams in both their early careers were pretty dreadful. 

20th head coach in team’s 51 year history and 7th in the last 8 years. That’s crazy. Lindy’s tenure was twice as long as Rolaton through Krueger combined. 

And after looking at the full list, that count of 20 does not include Bowman and Nolan taking on the job on two separate occasions. So the job has turned over two extra times over those 51 years. 

On 6/29/2021 at 9:59 AM, Alaska Darin said:

Don Granato gets the gig full times.  Good luck, dude.

What do you think? Good hire? It's weird to me on social media that Bills/Sabres fans are pretty rabid about any little thing that happens but I genuinely do not see much, if any, consensus on Granato.

New head coaches always seem like a big deal to me.

Alaska Darin
2 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

What do you think? Good hire? It's weird to me on social media that Bills/Sabres fans are pretty rabid about any little thing that happens but I genuinely do not see much, if any, consensus on Granato.

New head coaches always seem like a big deal to me.

They've absolutely destroyed me as a fan - much like the BILLS did before Polian was given the keys.  Bad hires, bad trades, bad draft choices, bad development, etc.  So all of us are just sitting in the back of the bar like a guy going through his 5th divorce...wondering if it'd just be easier to be gay (in this case, a Leafs' fan).

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Alaska Darin said:

They've absolutely destroyed me as a fan - much like the BILLS did before Polian was given the keys.  Bad hires, bad trades, bad draft choices, bad development, etc.  So all of us are just sitting in the back of the bar like a guy going through his 5th divorce...wondering if it'd just be easier to be gay (in this case, a Leafs' fan).

In the back of the bar feeling more like the feral boomerang throwing kid from Mad Max. 

• Haha 1

Kind of 'meh' on the choice as am still ticked that Eichel & Reinhart are likely imminently former Sabres.  Everything the Pegulas have touched in the MMArena has turned to excrement.  Eventually it won't, and maybe this will be the decision that eventually doesn't follow suit.  But we're likely 2 years plus away from that actually showing results.

Have been a season ticket holder since the '90's.  Seriously thinking of finally throwing in the towel.

• Sad 1

Hitbyaparkedcar
On 7/1/2021 at 6:08 PM, Taro T said:

Kind of 'meh' on the choice as am still ticked that Eichel & Reinhart are likely imminently former Sabres.  Everything the Pegulas have touched in the MMArena has turned to excrement.  Eventually it won't, and maybe this will be the decision that eventually doesn't follow suit.  But we're likely 2 years plus away from that actually showing results.

Have been a season ticket holder since the '90's.  Seriously thinking of finally throwing in the towel.

Hang in there, you've put a lot into them. This appears to me to be a real turning point. I can't exactly explain it, but it feels similar to when McDermott took over the Bills. Granato has a calm sense of purpose and competency about him. After all he's been through recently, this doesn't appear to be to big for him. JMO

• Cheers 1

On 7/2/2021 at 8:13 PM, Hitbyaparkedcar said:

Hang in there, you've put a lot into them. This appears to me to be a real turning point. I can't exactly explain it, but it feels similar to when McDermott took over the Bills. Granato has a calm sense of purpose and competency about him. After all he's been through recently, this doesn't appear to be to big for him. JMO

I agree @Taro T. Hate the way the morning guys always make it an A/B decision...

1) Eichel walks on water, and should never be traded.

or

2) You blame Eichel for the losing, and trading your best player is never , ever a good idea.

I think there is a 3rd option..Eichel is a fantastic player, he gave his all for the Sabres, he will continue to be a fantastic player.....but the losing has soured him, and unfortunately, its prolly best for everyone involved to get a fresh start.

If you keep him, my fear is at the first bit of adversity..his actions and body language emanate "here we go again".( and who could blame him)..and as captain and unquestioned best player on team, that infects the the entire team. Same with Sam.

Maybe fresh perspectives, fresh blood, no PTSD from the losing moves this team forward.

Having said that, i agree with PHAM you just cant take an offer simply because its time. Keep him till you get the trade you want.

• Cheers 1

Alaska Darin
On 7/7/2021 at 1:56 PM, plenzmd1 said:

I agree @Taro T. Hate the way the morning guys always make it an A/B decision...

1) Eichel walks on water, and should never be traded.

or

2) You blame Eichel for the losing, and trading your best player is never , ever a good idea.

I think there is a 3rd option..Eichel is a fantastic player, he gave his all for the Sabres, he will continue to be a fantastic player.....but the losing has soured him, and unfortunately, its prolly best for everyone involved to get a fresh start.

If you keep him, my fear is at the first bit of adversity..his actions and body language emanate "here we go again".( and who could blame him)..and as captain and unquestioned best player on team, that infects the the entire team. Same with Sam.

Maybe fresh perspectives, fresh blood, no PTSD from the losing moves this team forward.

Having said that, i agree with PHAM you just cant take an offer simply because its time. Keep him till you get the trade you want.

Tell me this doesn't feel like Ryan O'Reilly all over again. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Alaska Darin said:

Can there ever be a worse time to trade a guy?

—makes a lot of $$

—potential long term injury

—team that gets him will be locked in because of no move clause

If I were a fan of a team interested in trading for Eichel I’d be scared. I bet GMs are, too. There will be peanuts offered for Eichel. I’d even go so far to say that I believe Reinhart might net a better return. 

• Angry 2

We'll know for certain in a few minutes, but the twittersphere has been pretty well convinced that Seattle chose Will Borgen from the Sabres.

The interesting thing about that selection is there is a very real possibility that Birgen won't be one of their top 8 D-men.  So, with the #1 priority to make claims off the waiver wire (dead last doesn't just get the best lottery odds, it also comes w/ dibs on waivers at the beginning of the next season), the Sabres may get him back in October.

• Like 1