Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

2021 Sabres Offseason

ComradeKayAdams

On 8/27/2021 at 12:01 PM, plenzmd1 said:

Eichel getting new representation, Pat Brisson now his agent.

Guess the press release thing being a total backfire did not help.

Brisson being involved will help grease the skids.

He's Crosby's agent (dealt with serious concussion issues), Matt Duchene's agent (disgruntled in Colorado, returned a huge package when traded to Otters), IIRC Luke Robitaille's agent (now in Kings FO), & his son was recently drafted by Vegas.  He knows everybody in the league and is well respected.  

If Eichel is seen as being difficult, having a difficult agent (Fish) doesn't increase the price people are willing to pay to get him.  Brisson coming in is a good thing.  (Though it likely doesn't get the bridges w/ the Sabres rebuilt.  Which stinks, he's a fun player to watch.)

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Apparently the meeting was on Wednesday 8/18.

Eichel put out a tweet of :classic_dry: on Thursday 8/19.

And Fish was out as his agent & Brisson was in on Friday 8/27.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/22/2021 at 10:51 AM, Ann said:

Not a fan of the term.  Only leaves him an RFA for 1 season after the deal ends.

People expect the cap to go up significantly in ~3-4 years.  Would've liked to see the Sabres offer him $8.5-$9/yr on an 8 year deal.  It'd be a bargain like the MacKinnon deal is now.  Realizing it's hard to get people to care when they're entering year 11 of a 12-13 year playoff drought, but good teams stay good by having at least a couple of stars on team friendly contracts and those are found by overpaying on the early years of a deal.

Okposo's deal only runs 1 year after this one, leaving Skinner's as the only remaining Albatros contract.  Expect he'd've gone for an 8 yr deal for over $8/yr.  And IMHO that deal would've been worth the risk.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Not a fan of the term.  Only leaves him an RFA for 1 season after the deal ends.

People expect the cap to go up significantly in ~3-4 years.  Would've liked to see the Sabres offer him $8.5-$9/yr on an 8 year deal.  It'd be a bargain like the MacKinnon deal is now.  Realizing it's hard to get people to care when they're entering year 11 of a 12-13 year playoff drought, but good teams stay good by having at least a couple of stars on team friendly contracts and those are found by overpaying on the early years of a deal.

Okposo's deal only runs 1 year after this one, leaving Skinner's as the only remaining Albatros contract.  Expect he'd've gone for an 8 yr deal for over $8/yr.  And IMHO that deal would've been worth the risk.

I'm curious about Dahlin's feelings on a long term deal.   I know if I were in his shoes, I'd be very leery of tying myself to this franchise long term.  He may have said "let's do a bridge deal and see where the franchise is in 3 years - then I'll consider a different term."

I'm with you on the overall point...but I wouldn't blame RD if he wasn't about signing long term just based on how bad the team has been.  Losing sucks.

• Cheers 1

On 9/22/2021 at 8:26 AM, Foxx said:

With Training Camp getting ready to start, is it time for a 2021/2022 Season thread?

The Athletic with a good article on questions surrounding the team as we get ready to begin the new season.

Five burning Sabres questions ahead of training camp, from Jack Eichel’s status to Rasmus Dahlin’s negotiations

Let's start one on Sept 27, but it won't be me.

4 hours ago, Foxx said:

Not good. Trying to force his exit?

https://twitter.com/WGR550/status/1441100121245057024

He figured to fail the physical with the neck but he has also certainly been trying to force his way out with the fake desire for the specific quack surgery.  Obviously he doesn’t want to be captain and shouldn’t be but “stripping” seems like purposeful harsh wording.

7 hours ago, Alaska Darin said:

I'm curious about Dahlin's feelings on a long term deal.   I know if I were in his shoes, I'd be very leery of tying myself to this franchise long term.  He may have said "let's do a bridge deal and see where the franchise is in 3 years - then I'll consider a different term."

I'm with you on the overall point...but I wouldn't blame RD if he wasn't about signing long term just based on how bad the team has been.  Losing sucks.

Not sure if it was speculation or informed, but saw somewhere that he'd've been willing to sign LT if the Sabres would go over $8/.

With their salary cap situation for the next 2-3 years, going even to $9/ wouldn't affect their ability to put a team together at all.  But, having to go to say $12-$13 in 4 years could put a crimp in how they can assemble the team.

If he wouldn't go for that, so be it.  But my impression is the Sabres were less willing to do something like that than Ras was.

• Like 1

Saw on the Sabres board associated w/ TOP that Doug Allen will no longer be the Sabres anthem singer because he had COVID back in January and therefore has no intention of getting the jab.  

That's a shame.  He's not incredible but he's very competent & except for Satan's girlfriend has been their best anthem singer this century.

Not expecting his replacement to be an improvement.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Saw on the Sabres board associated w/ TOP that Doug Allen will no longer be the Sabres anthem singer because he had COVID back in January and therefore has no intention of getting the jab.  

That's a shame.  He's not incredible but he's very competent & except for Satan's girlfriend has been their best anthem singer this century.

Morons.    Allen gone, Tynan gone.

Getting much easier to dislike Pegulas lately with all the extracurricular crap they’ve been pulling.   

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

• Cheers 2