Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

2021 Sabres Offseason

ComradeKayAdams

On 9/28/2021 at 5:17 AM, plenzmd1 said:

So no need for NHL.TV this year. Have no idea if this will include local pre and post games as the streaming package did, but I already have ESPN + so this ins a bonus. 

Can't recall if it was here or elsewhere was talking w/ somebody about Center Ice (the cable/satellite version of the former NHL.tv).  As expected, the price was cut in half this year, down to $70 for returning subscribers.  Just renewed it today & that was the price.

Will be interesting to see how complete the package is as IIRC there are supposed to be a bunch of ESPN+ exclusive games this year.

Might not renew next year, but it is way easier to watch on our good TV directly from satellite than to go through a laptop to the TV, so figure for $70 it's worth the risk that a lot of games will be missing from the package.  IMHO.

On 9/28/2021 at 4:40 PM, Taro T said:

Not true.  NHL.tv is no more (or is a part of the ESPN+ bundle, which would effectively be the same thing).

Center Ice for cable/ TV still exists and the price (at least for renewals) has been ~ cut in half.

Thing is, there are supposedly a lot of ESPN+ Exclusive games which presumably won't be available on CI.

Seems there will be ~ the same # of TNT Exclusive games as there were NBC Exclusives, so that won't really effect it.  Those ESPN+/Hulu exclusives may make CI a ripoff at any price.  

Tried getting info on what exactly is included w/ CI on line today & there isn't much info.  Might cancel it & then re-up if there's value to it.

If anyone is interested. the full ESPN/ESPN+ schedule

• Cheers 1

35 minutes ago, GG1 said:

If anyone is interested. the full ESPN/ESPN+ schedule

8 Sabres games starting w/ October 22 vs the B's are ESPN+/Hulu games.  Which is slightly above par for the course.  1,100+ total RS games w/ ESPN+/Hulu having 75 exclusively & ABC/ESPN airing another 28.

Not sure how many TNT Games the Sabres have.  Heard it was 3, but haven't confirmed.  The Heritage Classic in March will be one of them.

Now that the season is upon us, I went back and re-read the first five or so pages of this thread.

It is incredible how little progress this team has made toward improving in this past offseason.  They’re going to be awful and aside from wanting to see if some kids can make it in the NHL there’s nothing to look forward to. 

This year’s slogan “Buffalo Sabres 21-22. See if the kids can do it (without a goaltender)!”

Edited by snafu
  • Angry 1

• 3 months later...
14 hours ago, Taro T said:

Apparently, it's twue.  

I was never a fan of changing to black/red but I still loved the Goathead.  It's a cool logo.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

I was never a fan of changing to black/red but I still loved the Goathead.  It's a cool logo.

Would really like to see it in B&G as a dark 3rd.  Use the B&G Butterknives as a white one.

W/ both of those, they'd never need to mess w/ unis again except for tweaking shoulder patches.

• FANtastic 1

4 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Would really like to see it in B&G as a dark 3rd.  Use the B&G Butterknives as a white one.

W/ both of those, they'd never need to mess w/ unis again except for tweaking shoulder patches.

We are absolutely on the same page here.

• FANtastic 1

• 1 month later...
Alaska Darin
1 hour ago, IDBillzFan said:

Based on my social media feeds, Jack Eichel is the love child of Billy Joe Hobert and Vontae Davis.

I know his feelings were hurt but dude seriously needs to learn when to STFU.  The reason the building hasn't been loud in seven seasons is because the team has been both historically bad and far too often didn't play hard.  Since you were the Captain for some of it, you are going to get some of the blame - welcome to how leadership works. 

I don't think Jack is a bad guy but he's still got growing up to do.  The Sabres are the first team I remember having huge numbers of fans outside the arena to watch playoff games together.  Buffalo is a hockey town that is a better place to play than Canadian cities because they tend to treat players much better.  Saying anything anti-fan is just stupid.  The right response would have been something like "I really enjoyed my time here and wish we'd have had more success.  The fans always treated me right when I played for the Sabres and they certainly have the right to boo opposing players."

I'm curious if the Vegas PR staff even tried to prepare him...because they should have.

As a fan, I wouldn't have booed him...but now I would. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 3/11/2022 at 1:26 PM, Alaska Darin said:

I know his feelings were hurt but dude seriously needs to learn when to STFU.  The reason the building hasn't been loud in seven seasons is because the team has been both historically bad and far too often didn't play hard.  Since you were the Captain for some of it, you are going to get some of the blame - welcome to how leadership works. 

I don't think Jack is a bad guy but he's still got growing up to do.  The Sabres are the first team I remember having huge numbers of fans outside the arena to watch playoff games together.  Buffalo is a hockey town that is a better place to play than Canadian cities because they tend to treat players much better.  Saying anything anti-fan is just stupid.  The right response would have been something like "I really enjoyed my time here and wish we'd have had more success.  The fans always treated me right when I played for the Sabres and they certainly have the right to boo opposing players."

I'm curious if the Vegas PR staff even tried to prepare him...because they should have.

As a fan, I wouldn't have booed him...but now I would. 

Really didn't believe they "needed" to get rid of Eichel (& Reinhart & Ristolainen) to get the ship moving in the right direction but knew Adams didn't agree & that die was cast pretty much when Adams was hired into his present role.  To he credit, he did make an effort to make it work his 1st season (though by not addressing goaltending one could make the argument the effort was half-hearted at best).

But this team is far less cliquish than Jack's teams and far easier to cheer for.

Comments like his post-game interview will go a long way towards convincing those of us that didn't dislike him before his getting traded that we should.

• Like 1

Alaska Darin
2 hours ago, Taro T said:

Really didn't believe they "needed" to get rid of Eichel (& Reinhart & Ristolainen) to get the ship moving in the right direction but knew Adams didn't agree & that die was cast pretty much when Adams was hired into his present role.  To he credit, he did make an effort to make it work his 1st season (though by not addressing goaltending one could make the argument the effort was half-hearted at best).

But this team is far less cliquish than Jack's teams and far easier to cheer for.

Comments like his post-game interview will go a long way towards convincing those of us that didn't dislike him before his getting traded that we should.

I was somewhat pissed when the public standoff happened between the team and Eichel - that's unprofessional at best.  That being said, I understand Adams' idea that you have to move on from players who are used to losing because it's just so hard to change a culture when they're your leaders.

I'm one of those people who regularly head out to YT and watch the Briere/Drury teams because they were just a joy to follow.  That building was electric and Buffalo fans are the reason virtually every team in the postseason now broadcasts their playoff games at gathering locations near the arena.  I don't know if the Sabres ever show new players that stuff but in my mind they really should because the fans are insane when the team competes.  That message needs to be perfectly clear.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

I was somewhat pissed when the public standoff happened between the team and Eichel - that's unprofessional at best.  That being said, I understand Adams' idea that you have to move on from players who are used to losing because it's just so hard to change a culture when they're your leaders.

I'm one of those people who regularly head out to YT and watch the Briere/Drury teams because they were just a joy to follow.  That building was electric and Buffalo fans are the reason virtually every team in the postseason now broadcasts their playoff games at gathering locations near the arena.  I don't know if the Sabres ever show new players that stuff but in my mind they really should because the fans are insane when the team competes.  That message needs to be perfectly clear.

Was at the RJ game.  The electricity in the building was palpable, so much so that my worry was that the team would be overhyped by the energy and we'd have a repeat of the broken sticks in the 1st period of game 3 of the '99 Finals.

But it didn't overwhelm the team, they fed off it.  Every player that was on the ice that night, including those that raced onto the ice in their RJ sweaters & suspenders to be in the photo w/ him at the end understand exactly what you're referring to.

As for Eichel & the rest, will just say that Adams talks highly & frequently about character & wanting to be in Buffalo.  He, and the others, are gone for a reason.  And, Adams was right in that regard.  Mia culpa.

PS - Tuch is the anti-Eichel.

• Like 2
  • FANtastic 1

• 2 weeks later...