Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

New Stadium in the Works? PSLs?

plenzmd1

RochesterRob
14 minutes ago, Ann said:

I'm still trying to figure out who blinks first on this in terms of the "give?"  The state is for sure broke and the Pegula's have to answer to the "hat in hand for stadium money" NFL.  I'm thinking that this new stadium will be very budget minded as OP already has utilities and public services  allocated to 70,000 people being there 8 Sundays per season.  Parking long term will not be a problem but there will be those couple of years where people will be scrambling for alternatives.  I always thought downtown was a dream at best and the shenanigans from the second half of last year did not inspire any confidence in terms of being within a city limits.

Edited by RochesterRob
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

I'm still trying to figure out who blinks first on this in terms of the "give?"  The state is for sure broke and the Pegula's have to answer to the "hat in hand for stadium money" NFL.  I'm thinking that this new stadium will be very budget minded as OP already has utilities and public services  allocated to 70,000 people being there 8 Sundays per season.  Parking long term will not be a problem but there will be those couple of years where people will be scrambling for alternatives.  I always thought downtown was a dream at best and the shenanigans from the second half of last year did not inspire any confidence in terms of being within a city limits.

We sure the state is broke? I honestly don’t know. 

• Haha 1

RochesterRob
5 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

We sure the state is broke? I honestly don’t know. 

The governor's stance prior to the pandemic was one of not having money for a football stadium in Buffalo.  I can't imagine that has changed one iota.  The likely profile of a ticket holder most likely does nothing in terms of motivating our politicians in Albany to jump into action for a new Bills stadium.  If Albany was really motivated they might find a way to finance upwards of a third of the new cost.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

The governor's stance prior to the pandemic was one of not having money for a football stadium in Buffalo.  I can't imagine that has changed one iota.  The likely profile of a ticket holder most likely does nothing in terms of motivating our politicians in Albany to jump into action for a new Bills stadium.  If Albany was really motivated they might find a way to finance upwards of a third of the new cost.

Pre pandemic states actually had to pay their own way, now Uncle Joe takes care of them. California has a huge surplus. 

on a local level, no bus fares for another year as transit agency is awash in cash from the feds.  

I bet NY has an extra billion laying around now, and when it’s polling season Cuomo and his minions will use it to win votes. 

RochesterRob
1 hour ago, Hedge said:

Last resort for sure.  Unless they demolish the old stadium first leaving no place to play I would think that they can build at OP and still utilize the current stadium.  This is what was done when MetLife was built with the old Giants Stadium being used until complete.  Parking would be tough but not impossible with such an arrangement.  I've been told that a fair amount of parking that ECC makes available for Bills games does not get used.  True?  False?  

Next in my mind would be see what area options are and at what capacity.  In any event live seating today is not as crucial revenue wise as it was a generation ago.  Penn State would be a slow drive for WNY fans and I would bet there is still quite a bit of bad taste left from several years ago when the threat of moving to Toronto was real.  Unless SU does not want Bills games they should be a consideration.  Too small for the regular season but I would like to see Cornell host a preseason game if OP can't be done.  

Edited by RochesterRob
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, RochesterRob said:

Last resort for sure.  Unless they demolish the old stadium first leaving no place to play I would think that they can build at OP and still utilize the current stadium.  This is what was done when MetLife was built with the old Giants Stadium being used until complete.  Parking would be tough but not impossible with such an arrangement.  I've been told that a fair amount of parking that ECC makes available for Bills games does not get used.  True?  False?  

Next in my mind would be see what area options are and at what capacity.  In any event live seating today is not as crucial revenue wise as it was a generation ago.  Penn State would be a slow drive for WNY fans and I would bet there is still quite a bit of bad taste left from several years ago when the threat of moving to Toronto was real.  Unless SU does not want Bills games they should be a consideration.  Too small for the regular season but I would like to see Cornell host a preseason game if OP can't be done.  

That makes the most sense to build and still be in the old stadium (demolished later).

Personally? I'd like to see a dome, and I'd like to see it somewhere where it can be utilized for more than just a few months per year. Downtown with a new convention center + hotels attached, would be nice.

RochesterRob
5 minutes ago, Ann said:

That makes the most sense to build and still be in the old stadium (demolished later).

Personally? I'd like to see a dome, and I'd like to see it somewhere where it can be utilized for just a few months per year. Downtown with a new convention center + hotels attached, would be nice.

The whole process from what we have seen suggests this whole thing will be on a tight budget.  I'm thinking that there will be no money to put in the necessary roadways, utilities, and emergency support among other things with a clean slate approach (downtown or i-90).  I have not looked at a very recent financial statement for the state but even if the state has a "surplus" as plenz suggests it does not mean any spare money will be used for a Bills stadium.  It just does not fit what the Democrats want to do in my mind.  

1 hour ago, RochesterRob said:

The whole process from what we have seen suggests this whole thing will be on a tight budget.  I'm thinking that there will be no money to put in the necessary roadways, utilities, and emergency support among other things with a clean slate approach (downtown or i-90).  I have not looked at a very recent financial statement for the state but even if the state has a "surplus" as plenz suggests it does not mean any spare money will be used for a Bills stadium.  It just does not fit what the Democrats want to do in my mind.  

That is silly if they do not do some roadwork to make access easier. 

RochesterRob
12 minutes ago, Ann said:

That is silly if they do not do some roadwork to make access easier. 

It will get done in OP as the changes needed would be minimal as compared to downtown and to a lesser extent out in the country.  On the old BBMB it was said that to rework an area such as the Perry Projects to have what would be needed to modernize for a stadium would be around 100 million dollars.  A lot of that would go to studies, eminent domain, lawsuits, greasing city officials, etc.  The bigger advantage of going to a place like Clarence is you build the town a municipal building to house law enforcement, highway dept, etc. would cost upwards of 20 million and eliminate years of legal haggling.  I would imagine that inquiries were discreetly placed around OP to see how much resistance a new stadium would get and found that it would be minimal.  

@Ann heard on GR yesterday Panthers owner has been looking for a covered stadium, but is rethinking that  based on COVID. Yes, apparently that is true. Plenty of space in Orchard Park to build a Patriot Place type area… with hotels, retail etc anchored by the stadium.

@RochesterRob, I would welcome downtown stadium. Both Pittsburgh and Baltimore have vibrant tailgating scenes in downtown settings. But agree, infrastructure would be hugely expensive!!!

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

@Ann heard on GR yesterday Panthers owner has been looking for a covered stadium, but is rethinking that  based on COVID. Yes, apparently that is true. Plenty of space in Orchard Park to build a Patriot Place type area… with hotels, retail etc anchored by the stadium.

@RochesterRob, I would welcome downtown stadium. Both Pittsburgh and Baltimore have vibrant tailgating scenes in downtown settings. But agree, infrastructure would be hugely expensive!!!

problem with hotel complex in OP is lack of room demand other than 10 game weekends out of year

stadiums are anchors, but not in a positive way

• Like 1

I like that it looks to be a new stadium on the old site in OP. Can literally build it right next door to the existing and tear down 😥 Rich once the new one is up and running. Might only inconvenience tailgaters for a couple seasons with less parking but at least it would be HOME and not Toronto or Penn St.

The thing that bothers me is Jerry Jones being involved in ANY way and IU have NEVER been a fan of PSLs. It just boggles my mind that taxpayers foot a large part of the bill for these, then we get to pay for seats that give us the "right" to buy tickets for those seats? And putting a JerryWorld company in charge on this? I mean WTF? over?

And edit to add.... For those wishing for the hotels and other entertainment around there, remember the Bills have been in flux for years, with fears of moving totally out of the area or ownership and possible moving before that. Enough so, who would want to take the risk of that kind of investment nearby? However if this announcement is made official, I would expect companies to immediately begin to look at surrounding properties for those other venues. And anyone who has been to the stadium knows there is plenty of opportunity around there. BTW.... I grew up about a mile off the end of Abbott in N Boston... 

Edited by Cinga
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

problem with hotel complex in OP is lack of room demand other than 10 game weekends out of year

stadiums are anchors, but not in a positive way

I suspect this is a limited vision of what the OP site could be. For instance I could see this being the perfect place for a Live/Work/Play complex like this one in Atlanta.

Atlantic Station | Atlanta, GA

And this could really hep the team as well for visiting FAs or with rookies especially if they plan to move TC here permanently in the future.

Edit to add correct link

Edited by Cinga

2 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

Hmmm... In Bal you buy parking passes ahead of time too along with your PSL. Most fans use bus transportation to get in and out