Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Summer Olympics 2021 7/23 - 8/8/21

Ann

5 hours ago, Ann said:

Maybe its just me, i have about zero excitement for these games...and no spectators just gunna make it worse. 

I am guessing worst TV ratings the US since they started keeping ratings....and the percentage dropoff from last games is going to be quite large.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Maybe its just me, i have about zero excitement for these games...and no spectators just gunna make it worse. 

I am guessing worst TV ratings the US since they started keeping ratings....and the percentage dropoff from last games is going to be quite large.

You are not alone. I have zero enthusiasm for these games.  I will probably watch Jessica Pegula's tennis matches, but with the 13 hour time difference it won't be live.

These are the next games scheduled:

Beijing 2022 (winter)
Paris 2024 (summer)
Milan 2026 (winter)
LA 2028 (summer)

By the time it hits LA in 2028 the ratings will probably be so in the toilet, they may not have any advertisers.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ann said:

You are not alone. I have zero enthusiasm for these games.  I will probably watch Jessica Pegula's tennis matches, but with the 13 hour time difference it won't be live.

These are the next games scheduled:

Beijing 2022 (winter)
Paris 2024 (summer)
Milan 2026 (winter)
LA 2028 (summer)

By the time it hits LA in 2028 the rating will probably be so in the toilet, they may not have any advertisers.

China again?!?   Vomit.

I'll probably watch a bit here and there, but honestly have lost interest as they've dramatically increased the number of events and now include all sort of nonsense (including any that involve pro athletes playing baseball, golf, tennis, etc., etc., etc.)

We went to Lake Placid years ago for a long weekend and stopped by the hockey venue.  There was a plaque there listing all the medal winners....a total of 38 events.  Last winter Olympics there were 102.   I couldn't find the same stats for summer Olympics but suspect it's even worse.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

China again?!?   Vomit.

I'll probably watch a bit here and there, but honestly have lost interest as they've dramatically increased the number of events and now include all sort of nonsense (including any that involve pro athletes playing baseball, golf, tennis, etc., etc., etc.)

We went to Lake Placid years ago for a long weekend and stopped by the hockey venue.  There was a plaque there listing all the medal winners....a total of 38 events.  Last winter Olympics there were 102.   I couldn't find the same stats for summer Olympics but suspect it's even worse.

if i were a pro basketball player...zero chance i would be going to these games. Only know one athlete personally in the games this year...swimmer from here in Richmond friend of my daughter...won a gold last time...wonder if he is having second thoughts on going

Alaska Darin

I love the Olympics but it's getting harder and harder to watch them.  The whole transgender thing pisses me off and when you combine it with idiot athletes who wanna make political statements, it's seriously losing its luster.

The whole "host city" thing has always annoyed me.  I'm very curious if the "no spectator" thing finally changes how that whole thing is done.  Japan's gotta be losing their fiscal ass with this debacle.

Edited by Alaska Darin
  • Like 1

Alaska Darin
5 hours ago, B-Man said:

I have never rooted against the United States in anything...but I hope they don't win a single game.  I am so tired of the NBA's overall "woke" bullshit.  I know there are a lot of really, really good guys in the league but the whole thing makes me sick.  The constant victim garbage and divisive rhetoric is the most unAmerican thing I think I've ever seen.

Oh, and they cater to China - literally the worst government on the planet.  &#%$ the NBA.

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, B-Man said:

I feel bad for everyone who has to listen to our idiotic media endlessly overhype these two young women, and then shift into full damage control mode on their behalf when they fail (or quit).

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, The_Dude said:

That's one take, but I don't see it that way.

If she's not 100% mentally healthy then it affects the team's results if it affects her performance.  Maybe if she "stuck it out" the team wouldn't have gotten the silver medal.

I hope (and doubt) they just let her compete without shoving a microphone in her face every two seconds.  You're expecting a 24 year old kid who doesn't get a lot of attention in non-Olympic years to all of a sudden be the absolute star of the entire US contingent.  Some people can't handle that.  Maybe she's one of those people. 

7 minutes ago, snafu said:

That's one take, but I don't see it that way.

If she's not 100% mentally healthy then it affects the team's results if it affects her performance.  Maybe if she "stuck it out" the team wouldn't have gotten the silver medal.

I hope (and doubt) they just let her compete without shoving a microphone in her face every two seconds.  You're expecting a 24 year old kid who doesn't get a lot of attention in non-Olympic years to all of a sudden be the absolute star of the entire US contingent.  Some people can't handle that.  Maybe she's one of those people. 

She brought shame to her country. What a pathetic group of young adults we’ve got. Easy times make soft people. 

• Haha 1

On 7/25/2021 at 2:42 PM, Alaska Darin said:

I have never rooted against the United States in anything...but I hope they don't win a single game.  I am so tired of the NBA's overall "woke" bullshit.  I know there are a lot of really, really good guys in the league but the whole thing makes me sick.  The constant victim garbage and divisive rhetoric is the most unAmerican thing I think I've ever seen.

Oh, and they cater to China - literally the worst government on the planet.  &#%$ the NBA.

It's difficult to express how much I dislike basketball, but I'm still curious what reasoning there is for the NBA stars like Lebron and the Giannis dude to not play.  

22 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

It's difficult to express how much I dislike basketball, but I'm still curious what reasoning there is for the NBA stars like Lebron and the Giannis dude to not play.  

Giannis wasn't eligible due to NBA playoffs and I don't know if the Greeks even qualified.

Lebron's excuse is ....

Having said that, it's not like the BB Olympics team is devoid of all-stars.  They just thought that the gold medal would be handed to them on a platter, while forgetting that the rest of the world is getting pretty good at team basketball play.

• Like 1

I may have linked this doc ATOP before and it gives a perspective on the pressures that the Olympic athletes face. 

weight-of-gold-ka-1920.jpg

As an aside, my theory is that athletes in individual sports are far more susceptible to mental stress because team competition has a self correcting mechanism within the teams themselves that weeds out people much earlier who may not have the mental stamina to compete at the highest level.  Another factor is that many of the individual sports are focused on very young competitors who are thrust into the limelight well before their brains and maturity can develop. 

But good luck for the sports media industry to recognize that they are the major contributors to the participants mental stability.