Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Carl Nassib is the NFL's first active openly gay player

Foxx

1 hour ago, TakeYouToTasker 2.0 said:

He now has more than 300k followers.

Which, of course, bolsters my argument.

No, you have your cause and effect reversed.   His followers exploded after the announcement.  If he wanted to make a big media deal out of this, he would have had his agent set up an interview with a friendly SportCenter anchor and make sure that the press was all over the story ahead of time.   Instead, he just did a little Instagram post to his followers and that's when the machine picked it up.

You are intent on ascribing a lot of intent to his actions without knowing anything about him or what happened leading up to his decision to turn on the selfie cam.

• Like 1

TakeYouToTasker 2.0
1 hour ago, GG1 said:

No, you have your cause and effect reversed.   His followers exploded after the announcement.  If he wanted to make a big media deal out of this, he would have had his agent set up an interview with a friendly SportCenter anchor and make sure that the press was all over the story ahead of time.   Instead, he just did a little Instagram post to his followers and that's when the machine picked it up.

You are intent on ascribing a lot of intent to his actions without knowing anything about him or what happened leading up to his decision to turn on the selfie cam.

Again, I’m always cynical when it comes to tactical self-promotion. There’s no such thing as a happy coincidence, and I don’t believe for one minute that this wasn’t done without the knowledge and input of his agent and their PR people.

This also doesn’t make him a bad person. I just see it for what it is.

2 hours ago, TakeYouToTasker 2.0 said:

Again, I’m always cynical when it comes to tactical self-promotion. There’s no such thing as a happy coincidence, and I don’t believe for one minute that this wasn’t done without the knowledge and input of his agent and their PR people.

You can only see it for what you THINK it is. Unless, of course, you were born omniscient unlike the rest of us. I just have opinions, and they apparently differ from yours in this case. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like 1

whatdrought

Coach: “well Carl, to be honest, you’re kind of on the bubble right now. You’re gonna have to work really hard to keep a spot on this roster. You gotta wow us! Show us you’re too important to cut!”

Carl: “I have just the thing coach...”

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, whatdrought said:

Coach: “well Carl, to be honest, you’re kind of on the bubble right now. You’re gonna have to work really hard to keep a spot on this roster. You gotta wow us! Show us you’re too important to cut!”

Carl: “I have just the thing coach...”

He needs to become a Democrat for his plan to work.

If Nassib's actions were self-serving, then this is a nice side benefit.

Trevor Project donations explode.

A spokesperson for The Trevor Project tells PEOPLE they've seen a 100% increase in online donations since Nassib's announcement.

"The Trevor Project is grateful to Carl Nassib for living his truth and supporting LGBTQ youth," Amit Paley, CEO & Executive Director of The Trevor Project, said in a statement. "This generous donation will help us scale our life-saving crisis services to reach the more than 1.8 million LGBTQ youth who seriously consider suicide each year in the U.S."

Of course if this was Bills Mafia related, the donations would be through the roof.

• Like 2

On 6/25/2021 at 8:08 PM, TakeYouToTasker 2.0 said:

You're probably right on this part.  The first thing I did when I heard the news was looked at his contract to see if he was a cut candidate this training camp.  He's not until next year as the Raiders overpaid for him and are stuck with him this season.  Raiders fans pry wish his instagram announcement was he learned how to pressure the quarterback.

I'm glad that many people don't think it's a big deal and it shouldn't even be news.  However, it's absolutely news as he'll be the first openly gay NFL player to take a snap.  It took seven years since Sam's announcement for an active player to come out so there's obviously still a fear in coming out in probably the most macho team sport in the US. 

I don't pretend to know Nassib's true motives but it's irrelevant to me as it's resulted in nothing but positives seeing the increased donations to the Trevor Project.

• Cheers 1

On 6/26/2021 at 8:20 PM, GG1 said:

If Nassib's actions were self-serving, then this is a nice side benefit.

Trevor Project donations explode.

A spokesperson for The Trevor Project tells PEOPLE they've seen a 100% increase in online donations since Nassib's announcement.

"The Trevor Project is grateful to Carl Nassib for living his truth and supporting LGBTQ youth," Amit Paley, CEO & Executive Director of The Trevor Project, said in a statement. "This generous donation will help us scale our life-saving crisis services to reach the more than 1.8 million LGBTQ youth who seriously consider suicide each year in the U.S."

Of course if this was Bills Mafia related, the donations would be through the roof.

"Living HIS truth."

God I hate postmodernism.

• Like 1
  • FANtastic 1