Jump to content

Miami Condo Collapse


Foxx
 Share

Recommended Posts

Update: WSVN obtained video-surveillance footage showing the collapse, and it’s massive:

 

 

It doesn’t appear to show any initiating event, but it’s from a distance.

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, B-Man said:

Update: WSVN obtained video-surveillance footage showing the collapse, and it’s massive:

 

 

It doesn’t appear to show any initiating event, but it’s from a distance.

 

 

 

Wow. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Supposedly there was some kind of shock wave test on an Aircraft Carrier off the Florida coast so I don't know if that had any effect on it. To me it seems like people spent extravagant money on condos that were poorly built. Not the first time a contractor put in the bare minimum and bailed town. It's unfortunate that something like this would happen in America where we have building codes.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, SackMan518 said:

Supposedly there was some kind of shock wave test on an Aircraft Carrier off the Florida coast so I don't know if that had any effect on it. To me it seems like people spent extravagant money on condos that were poorly built. Not the first time a contractor put in the bare minimum and bailed town. It's unfortunate that something like this would happen in America where we have building codes.

 

While it cost me a ton of cash to renovate our house, it was comforting to have a GC we trusted and be able to see how the work was being done day by day.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, SackMan518 said:

Supposedly there was some kind of shock wave test on an Aircraft Carrier off the Florida coast so I don't know if that had any effect on it. 

 

Forget that theory.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/24/2021 at 6:01 PM, SackMan518 said:

To me it seems like people spent extravagant money on condos that were poorly built. Not the first time a contractor put in the bare minimum and bailed town. 

 

Not only that, but ultimately this condo was built by A Florida Man

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

RochesterRob
On 6/24/2021 at 6:01 PM, SackMan518 said:

Supposedly there was some kind of shock wave test on an Aircraft Carrier off the Florida coast so I don't know if that had any effect on it. To me it seems like people spent extravagant money on condos that were poorly built. Not the first time a contractor put in the bare minimum and bailed town. It's unfortunate that something like this would happen in America where we have building codes.

  Just because something is built to spec does not mean that the spec(ifications) are close to good enough.  Anybody ever see a Ryan home thrown up on a lot?  Unless I am really strapped for cash 2 X 6's are being used in the frame on the windward side of a house being built in WNY.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, RochesterRob said:

  Just because something is built to spec does not mean that the spec(ifications) are close to good enough.  Anybody ever see a Ryan home thrown up on a lot?  Unless I am really strapped for cash 2 X 6's are being used in the frame on the windward side of a house being built in WNY.  

I have retrofitted a good number of Ryan Homes. I can always tell when it was Ryan built. A major characteristic that I have seen on a good number of them, is that they don't use plywood for the exterior but rather a fiber board. 

 

This one job kinda took the cake though. I was doing a bathroom remodel and part of the job was running an exhaust vent outside.  The house was vinyl sided so in order to have to hole sit on the siding properly, the position was determined from the outside and drilled into from there. Essentially, what should have been a tough hole to drill popped right through... because there was no band joist between stories.

 

:facepalm:

  • Wow 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

RochesterRob
14 minutes ago, Foxx said:

I have retrofitted a good number of Ryan Homes. I can always tell when it was Ryan built. A major characteristic that I have seen on a good number of them, is that they don't use plywood for the exterior but rather a fiber board. 

 

This one job kinda took the cake though. I was doing a bathroom remodel and part of the job was running an exhaust vent outside.  The house was vinyl sided so in order to have to hole sit on the siding properly, the position was determined from the outside and drilled into from there. Essentially, what should have been a tough hole to drill popped right through... because there was no band joist between stories.

 

:facepalm:

  Just not a fan of prefab homes and maybe I am being too harsh.  A guy about a mile down an around the corner threw a prefab home up last summer and it just made me cringe.  I believe although not a Ryan (they usually have a contractor put up their sign) it was a staple together job.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

  The scary part is that you know that puppet at WAPO had somebody shaking her strings getting that out.


I posted the start of her tweets above. She definitely got the go ahead to smack him around, but was corrected by many people. I doubt WaPo cares what is correct when they want to shape a narrative. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use, Privacy Policy, We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue., Guidelines