Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Red helmet return in 2022?

You Dirty Rat

You Dirty Rat

NFL rescinds one-helmet rule: Here are nine classic throwback uniforms that could return under new policy

The league sent out a memo, which was obtained by CBS Sports' Jonathan Jones, and in that memo, the NFL let teams know that the one-helmet rule will be phased out following the 2021 season. Under the new rule, teams can add a second helmet option starting in 2022, which means any team that wants to take advantage of the new rule can add an alternate color. Any team that wants to add a second helmet will have to make that decision by July 31 of this year even though they wouldn't be wearing it until 2022. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-rescinds-one-helmet-rule-here-are-nine-classic-throwback-uniforms-that-could-return-under-new-policy/

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, NCBillsFan said:

I understand the appeal with the red helmet connection to the glory years, but I think the whites look so much better.

They never would have existed in the first place had Joe Ferguson not been color blind.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/06/23/the-story-behind-the-bills-red-helmets/

If I knew that, I had forgotten.

"That was under the head coach at the time, Kay Stephenson."  Lou Saban, Jim Ringo, and Chuck Knox never figured it out?  So, Joe Ferguson was playing with this handicap until his last two years in Buffalo? :classic_blink: That may help explain his 196 career TDs vs 209 INTs.  (181 TDs, 192 INTs with the Bills).

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ann said:

If I knew that, I had forgotten.

"That was under the head coach at the time, Kay Stephenson."  Lou Saban, Jim Ringo, and Chuck Knox never figured it out?  So, Joe Ferguson was playing with this handicap until his last two years in Buffalo? :classic_blink: That may help explain his 196 career TDs vs 209 INTs.  (181 TDs, 192 INTs with the Bills).

I remember reading about Ferguson being colorblind as the reason at the the time they made the switch in the 80s and thinking the same thing. What took them so long to figure this out? 

• Like 1

Alaska Darin

I'm colorblind too, which makes that story make even less sense.  It's not like we see things in black and white, fer christsakes.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

I'm colorblind too, which makes that story make even less sense.  It's not like we see things in black and white, fer christsakes.

Shades of grey? Would it be easier for you to distinguish a red helmet from a white helmet?

Alaska Darin
36 minutes ago, Ann said:

Shades of grey? Would it be easier for you to distinguish a red helmet from a white helmet?

Colorblind people see the world in color.  It should be called "color misperception" because really, that's what it is.   Red/Green and Blue/Purple are by far my hardest colors.  Though I wouldn't have had an issue with "BILLS' red" against any other NFL team's green.

I'm severely colorblind.  If you've ever taken a test, they basically have flip charts of circles made up of colored dots.  Within the colored dots is an easily discernible number - if you're not colorblind.  When I went for my military physical, they gave me the test and the guy giving it really thought I was &#%$ing with him because I didn't get any right. 

He was really mad.  Said "How did you get here today?"  "I drove."  "How did you know when the light was green?"  "Uh, it's either the bottom light or the one furthest to the right."  "GET THE &#%$ OUTTA MY OFFICE!"

Edited by Alaska Darin
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

My father was color blind in the green/brown red spectrums. My mother often changed his ensembles so he didn't look like Don Cherry. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

My father was color blind in the green/brown red spectrums. My mother often changed his ensembles so he didn't look like Don Cherry. 

My old boss is colorblind. I had to use weird color schemes in the graphs for my reports and presentations so that he could follow along easier.

• Like 1

It was said at the time that the switch to red hats was because every other AFCE team had white helmets. Miami, Jests, Indy, Baahstin. 

RochesterRob

What I recall mostly from 1984 when the switch was made is most fans were convinced it was a money grab for new merchandise.  The red helmets were not accepted by the people I knew until we made the Super Bowl following the 1990 season.  People think that the dark ages (2001-2010) uni's were the worst but for me the 1986 version was perhaps the worst with the dark pants.  I prefer the white helmet for the regular uniform but the red would be OK for periodic use.  

On 6/25/2021 at 8:16 AM, NCBillsFan said:

I understand the appeal with the red helmet connection to the glory years, but I think the whites look so much better.

They never would have existed in the first place had Joe Ferguson not been color blind.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/06/23/the-story-behind-the-bills-red-helmets/

Kelly was color blind as well