Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Bad Trades, Whatchya Got?

Ann

As we sit around in the dead time of the off-season, a lot of articles are being written to fill space, and produce discussion. Bleacher Report has an article out,  Ranking the 7 Worst NFL Offseason Trades Since 2000, where they list this beauty at #3:

3. Chip Kelly Sends McCoy to Buffalo

Shortly after becoming Philadelphia's head of football operations in 2015, Chip Kelly made a bizarre decision. Hindsight does the former Eagles head coach no favors, either.

Kelly sent All-Pro running back LeSean McCoy to the Buffalo Bills for linebacker Kiko Alonso. McCoy had 3,620 scrimmage yards in the prior two years; Alonso, who Kelly coached at Oregon, had missed the previous season with an ACL injury.

McCoy played three seasons with the Bills and helped the organization snap an 18-year postseason drought. Alonso didn't win a starting job in Philly, reinjured his knee and went to the Miami Dolphins in a trade the following offseason.

And the Eagles fired Kelly in December 2015.

</snip>

Philly's loss was Buffalo's gain!

There have been some pretty lopsided trades in NFL history. Whatchya got?

• Like 1

Alaska Darin

Jerry Hughes for Kelvin "Cement Foot" Sheppard.  8 seasons later, Hughes is still one of the best pass rushing defensive ends in the NFL and Sheppard ended up basically being an average special teams' player who is now coaching linebackers for the Detroit Lions.

• Like 6

Since 2000, I'd agree with pretty much anything Bill O'Brien did as the worst. He really &#%$ed that team.

All time? I'd go with Ditka trading an entire draft for Ricky Williams. #2 would be Hershel Walker to the Vikings. Dallas built their dynasty from the haul of picks; Minnesota didn't.

Edited by Koko
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, Koko said:

Since 2000, I'd agree with pretty much anything Bill O'Brien did as the worst. He really &#%$ed that team.

All time? I'd go with Ditka trading an entire draft for Ricky Williams. #2 would be Hershel Walker to the Vikings. Dallas built their dynasty from the haul of picks; Minnesota didn't.

Those are definitely the all-time winners, or losers, depending on what side of the trade you were on.

4 hours ago, Alaska Darin said:

Jerry Hughes for Kelvin "Cement Foot" Sheppard.  8 seasons later, Hughes is still one of the best pass rushing defensive ends in the NFL and Sheppard ended up basically being an average special teams' player who is now coaching linebackers for the Detroit Lions.

That was absolutely the first one that came to mind. We stole a very productive long term player.  

• Like 1

On 6/28/2021 at 7:24 PM, Alaska Darin said:

I agree this is prolly the best trade in Bills history.

One that rivals is trading Paul Seymour for Frank Lewis. IIRC, Seymour was damaged goods and failed his physical with the Steelers, but there was not a provision in the trade about passing the physical..so the Bills were allowed to keep Lewis. Lewis  was a big part of the Knox Bills, made a couple Pro Bowls i believe...and the Bills paid nothing for him!

Seymour never played another down in the NFL.

Worst trade made by Bills by far was trading the mad bomber ...Daryl Lamonica for Art Powell and Tom Flores...neither did anything in Buffalo..meanwhile

Nicknamed "The Mad Bomber" due to his affinity for throwing the long pass in virtually any situation, Lamonica led the Raiders to four consecutive division titles between 1967 and 1970, along with a Super Bowl appearance in Super Bowl II. He was twice named AFL Most Valuable Player (MVP), in addition to receiving three AFL All-Star selections, two NFL Pro Bowl selections, and two first-team All-AFL honors. During his MVP seasons, he led the AFL in passing touchdowns, along with leading the league in passing yards en route to his second MVP. Lamonica holds a .791 winning percentage, which is the second-highest for an NFL quarterback. He also holds a .900 winning percentage in the AFL, the highest in league history.

I mean...just an awful trade...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daryle_Lamonica

• Like 4
  • Cheers 1