Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Where are you from? Update 1/23/21 - in case anyone want to chime in.

mead107

leh-nerd skin-erd
On 10/18/2020 at 8:25 PM, RochesterRob said:

I dated a woman from neighboring Nunda over 30 years ago.  The one and only woman I dated that carry a gun in her purse.  I was simultaneously impressed and a tad bit concerned.  A time where nearly all people around WNY were not carrying "concealed" so to speak.

I’ve been to Nunda, attended a wedding there a couple years back.  Found out my mother spent time there when she was in nursing school back in the 50s.  Salt mines there, which I didn’t know were even a thing. 

Town of Tonawanda for me. I’ve lived in Albany the past 30 years or so. 

• Like 1

leh-nerd skin-erd
21 hours ago, AZ. said:

Last I was in Getzville was '83, so if either place was there at the time I don't remember them. I used to go to the Pine Lodge (on Millersport) a lot, and our family used to get the fish fry at Stockman's Tavern in Swormville frequently. There just weren't many places nearby to go back then. We used to pile in the car and go downtown quite a bit. I remember places like No Name's, Eduardo's, and the infamous Cassidy's (Freddie's special! Wooo!). 

I was telling my children about Freddie’s Special a week or two ago.  Spent a lot of time at Cassidys. 

17 hours ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

I was telling my children about Freddie’s Special a week or two ago.  Spent a lot of time at Cassidys. 

I had some serious misadventures there. Fun times and blurry memories. :classic_laugh:

• Haha 1

On 10/18/2020 at 4:15 PM, RochesterRob said:

Too bad Barber Conable is not around anymore.  He spoke to a business class I was in while at Cornell.  He said send him a letter anytime.  No address required other than Barber Conable and Alexander, NY.  He would get it.  Better than most of the post offices I've had to deal with.  

Barber put in trees in town one year in the 70's  My mom told Barber the one in front of our house died because her and dad were Democrats 

Used to camp out at Melanie's  (Main &Transit) on weekends to see John Valby in the late 70s.  

when I lived in  CT(92-95), my friends invited me to see this guy that sings dirty songs (yes, Valby). I played dumb  and didn't let on that I had seen him maybe 100 times. I started singing every word to every song and their jaws dropped.  Then I told them  that he was from Buffalo.

During the break, went up to buy a tape and told him I first saw him at the Red Balloon (Sheridan near Colvin?) in 1975.  He says" Hey! An old fart from Buffalo!"

Edited by Wacka
  • Haha 2

Albany by way of Geneseo, Catskill, Leroy, and Warsaw. Mom grew up in Castile and dad in Byron. I think the combined population for the towns was somewhere around 4000. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

On 10/18/2020 at 7:25 PM, RochesterRob said:

I dated a woman from neighboring Nunda over 30 years ago.  The one and only woman I dated that carry a gun in her purse.  I was simultaneously impressed and a tad bit concerned.  A time where nearly all people around WNY were not carrying "concealed" so to speak.

It is close to Allegheny county where guns are required, not optional.   

10 minutes ago, Just Joshin said:

It is close to Allegheny county where guns are required, not optional.   

The joke used to be plain denim overalls for M-F and Carhartt freshly pressed and no stain brown duck overalls for Sunday down in Allegany County.  

The joke at my house (in Allegany County) is , my wife always asks if she is "overdressed" when we go out.

I just reminder her where we live.......😎

• Haha 2

Chautauqua County, Mayville specifically, which is a quaint little drinking town with a fishing problem. Grew up nearby but lived in Southern California and Pennsylvania before settling down here. Looking to make a move and suspect that in 2021 I'll be making a few trips to potential places. 

• Like 1

On 10/22/2020 at 8:14 AM, 3rdnlng said:

Chautauqua County, Mayville specifically, which is a quaint little drinking town with a fishing problem. Grew up nearby but lived in Southern California and Pennsylvania before settling down here. Looking to make a move and suspect that in 2021 I'll be making a few trips to potential places. 

Why would you leave paradise? Next to the Institute, and Lillydale, Lake C, and Panama Rocks. Marberry RFD in person, heaven on earth except for winter and taxes.

8 hours ago, Niagara said:

Why would you leave paradise? Next to the Institute, and Lillydale, Lake C, and Panama Rocks. Marberry RFD in person, heaven on earth except for winter and taxes.

You may be right. Due to global warming we only had 150" of snow last winter. Contrast that with 250" the previous year, which as I recall was somewhere near 50" off the record snowfall. The State and County provide us with the opportunity to put our money where our mouths are and pay for every little project that they deem necessary. I especially admire the free money via grants from the State to municipalities for removing street lights and installing much shorter street lanterns in order to go along with the brick crosswalks that are so essential to our lives. 

EDIT: After conversations with NYSDOT I was able to determine the reasoning behind the street lantern/brick crosswalk pandemic in NYS. Fairly early in the process State engineers discovered that the much shorter street lanterns did not illuminate the streets as well as the old fashioned street lights. Their answer was to make the crosswalks literally braille for our feet so that when we can't see them we'll know when we step on them. Kudos for the State for solving the night time visibility problem of our villages and hamlets. 

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/18/2020 at 8:40 PM, Ninety-4 said:

Born in Southern California to parents from Buffalo who moved to CA for a few years, and then, moved back to Buffalo!  Who does that? 

Seems now like they were smart, way ahead of their time. 

I met a couple from Niagara Falls at their business in Temecula, Alaska. They have a parking spot in their lot that has a sign, “Reserved for Buffalo Bills Fans”. I had to ask them about it. They return to NF in the WINTER. Of course the winter in Alaska has to be depressing as all get-out. 

On 10/18/2020 at 8:46 PM, Ninety-4 said:

Really.  Used to drive through there once a month or so from Buffalo area to Dansville while working for a used car dealer when I was young.  Route took us through Pavillion, then Mt. Morris. 

Ever go to the auctions in Mannheim?

On 10/19/2020 at 8:40 PM, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

I’ve been to Nunda, attended a wedding there a couple years back.  Found out my mother spent time there when she was in nursing school back in the 50s.  Salt mines there, which I didn’t know were even a thing. 

Town of Tonawanda for me. I’ve lived in Albany the past 30 years or so. 

Salt mines are a huge thing in NYS. Morton had a mine collapse when they struck an underground river. That was in the 80s or 90s IIRC. 

On Cape Cod now in retirement, by way of Princeton, NJ, by way of hometown Rochester. Proud Bills fan living in the poisonous culture of *Patriots zombies. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Nanker said:

I met a couple from Niagara Falls at their business in Temecula, Alaska. They have a parking spot in their lot that has a sign, “Reserved for Buffalo Bills Fans”. I had to ask them about it. They return to NF in the WINTER. Of course the winter in Alaska has to be depressing as all get-out. 

Salt mines are a huge thing in NYS. Morton had a mine collapse when they struck an underground river. That was in the 80s or 90s IIRC. 

On Cape Cod now in retirement, by way of Princeton, NJ, by way of hometown Rochester. Proud Bills fan living in the poisonous culture of **Patriots zombies. 

Have you been to the igloo brewery on the cape. 
Nahkabout in Mashpee 

2 hours ago, devnull said:

Born and raised in Erie, PA and currently residing in the 757

I lived in the Chestnut Hill area of Erie (Millcreek) for many years. Close to the Zoo and Glenwood Golf Course.

• Like 2

leh-nerd skin-erd
5 hours ago, Nanker said:

On Cape Cod now in retirement, by way of Princeton, NJ, by way of hometown Rochester. Proud Bills fan living in the poisonous culture of **Patriots zombies. 

I love Cape Cod.  I've only been a few times, but a very cool place.  When our children were young (and before we had children), we spent a lot of time on the Jersey Shore, so the Cape was always an extra.  I know traffic can be dicey, but then again we had to hit the shore traffic corrrectly or we would shorley get ****ed.  

We started visiting again last year, and have plans to do more of that in the future.  

Salt mines--yes, I found out about the prevalence when visiting there. My nephew's wife's family woks the mines and told me about the collapse issues.  

leh-nerd skin-erd
5 hours ago, devnull said:

Born and raised in Erie, PA and currently residing in the 757

3 hours ago, 3rdnlng said:

I lived in the Chestnut Hill area of Erie (Millcreek) for many years. Close to the Zoo and Glenwood Golf Course.

One of my oldest friends worked air traffic control in Erie for a long time.  Smart guy, but given some of our youthful exploits I'm thinking it's amazing that you both are still here if, in fact, you were ever on an airplane in/out of Erie.  One time, we dropped an exhaust pipe on Hertel and he advised us to get it., which we did.   Turns out those things can get a little hot on a cold night in WNY.  

• Like 2