Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Gettysburg

B-Man

158 years ago this minute, John Buford's Union Cavalry were digging in along the roads and ridges west of Gettysburg, within sight of Harry Heth's rebels, and with the first shots-fired still a few hours away.

• Like 2

Have to close down the town. I have a friend that grew up in Gettysburg. While he was working in the yard,  he said tourists would ask where the battlefields were. He would point to the ground and say right here.  He didn't , but several of his friends  did work around the farm for Ike back in the mid 60s.

• Like 1

On 6/30/2021 at 7:55 PM, B-Man said:

158 years ago this minute, John Buford's Union Cavalry were digging in along the roads and ridges west of Gettysburg, within sight of Harry Heth's rebels, and with the first shots-fired still a few hours away.

That flick was so well done.  I need to find a quiet 3 hours away from the wife & kids to watch it again.

• Like 1

"Up men !  And to your posts !

And let no man forget today, that you are from Old Virginia !! "

• Like 1

15 hours ago, KD in CA said:

That flick was so well done.  I need to find a quiet 3 hours away from the wife & kids to watch it again.

Agreed an excellent film, however I take issue with the film revolving so heavily around a single regiment.  The 20th Maine was among four regiments that defended Little Round Top and Pickett's Charge.   

Other than a few mentions of Colonel Vincent and a very brief on screen dialog with Col. Strong Vincent, there is little mention of the others:

44th New York

16th Michigan

83rd Pennsylvania.  The Erie Regiment

• Like 3

1 hour ago, devnull said:

Agreed an excellent film, however I take issue with the film revolving so heavily around a single regiment.  The 20th Maine was among four regiments that defended Little Round Top and Pickett's Charge.   

Other than a few mentions of Colonel Vincent and a very brief on screen dialog with Col. Strong Vincent, there is little mention of the others:

44th New York

16th Michigan

I get it, but that's the difference b/w a movie (which relies on character development) and a true documentary.

I'm pretty sure this is the only movie (at least as an adult) I ever saw in a theatre with my Dad. 

On 7/3/2021 at 2:49 PM, devnull said:

44th New York

16th Michigan

That movie was based on a fiction written by Michael Shaara. It was part of a trilogy, Gods and Generals,  The Last Full Measure, and Killer Angels were written based on his interpretation of his research into the war. Gods and Generals was pre Gettysburg. The Last Full Measure was Gettysburg, and Killer Angels was after Gettysburg. They are great reads told through Shaara's interpretation of presumed conversations between important players on both sides of the war. It wasn't designed(the book) to tell the whole story of the battle or the war. 

• 3 weeks later...

I highly recommend hiring a licensed battlefield guide if going to Gettysburg.  I was fortunate to get this gentleman as my guide a few years ago.  He even managed to keep my wife interested for the whole tour.

Edited by NCBillsFan
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2

• 10 months later...