Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

2 Bills among Chris Simms’ potential busts from 2021 draft class

You Dirty Rat

You Dirty Rat

The Buffalo Bills went with back-to-back defensive linemen in the 2021 NFL Draft when they selected Greg Rousseau and Carlos “Boogie” Basham.

The thought process was simple. Last year, Buffalo’s defensive line was able to apply pressure on opposing offenses, but the team finished fifteenth in the league in sacks (38). The additions of Rousseau and Basham would give the Bills pass-rush depth behind Jerry Hughes and Mario Addison in 2021 with the duo possibly being their heir apparents in 2022.

Time will tell if Buffalo hit on their first two selections, but NBC Sports’ Chris Simms has his doubts.

Michael Holley, the guest writer for this week’s Football Morning in America, asked Chris Simms for five potential misses from the 2021 draft class and the rookie linemen both made the list.

Simms referred to Rousseau as a measurables guy and noted that he did not see a top-30 player when watching Rousseau’s film.

Gregory Rousseau, DE, Rd 1, Pick 30, Bills. “To me, he’s totally a measurables guy. I don’t know how you can look at the film and see a top-30 pick. You’d see times where he’d wind up with a sack because someone ran right into him. There wasn’t a sense that his opponents were worried about him.”

Rousseau opted out of the 2020 season at Miami. In 2019, Rousseau recorded 15.5 sacks and 19.5 tackles for loss.

As for Basham, Simms believes the defensive lineman is a boom or bust prospect.

Carlos Basham, DL, Rd 2, Pick 29, Bills. “I’m going to have some people mad at me, huh? I’m not picking on Buffalo. Actually, I’m not picking on anyone; I want them all to be successful. But I have to say that Basham might be the ultimate boom or bust project in the whole draft. He’s strong. He’s quick. Then you turn on the film and say, ‘What’s going on? You’re too big and strong to be blocked by some of the guys who are blocking you.’ The film doesn’t say that he’s a great player. But Buffalo has good coaches. Maybe they’ll figure out a way to use him that I can’t see.

In addition to playing off the edge, Rousseau and Basham both have the versatility to kick inside. Seeing how Eric Washington and Leslie Frazier utilize the rookies in 2021 could go a long way in silencing Simms and other critics this season.

Other rookies on Simms’ list of five rookies included Jaycee Horn, Jamin Davis and Asante Samuel Jr.

https://www.syracuse.com/buffalo-bills/2021/07/2-bills-among-chris-simms-potential-busts-from-2021-draft-class.html

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

If Rousseau fails, it doesn't appear it will be from a lack of effort. I'm impressed that the kid is trying to learn everything he can from coaches, veterans, etc.

Alaska Darin

Scouting report:

Pass rush: Player times the snap well, but he doesn't have great get-off quickness. Has long arms and active hands to keep blockers out of his frame. Has the athleticism to get low around the corner. Because of his length and athleticism, Player has the potential to develop into a high-level pass rusher. To do that, though, he needs to refine his secondary move. Player will get held up when his initial move fails and doesn't have the best lateral movement to work inside. Has lined up inside and outside the tackle.

Pursuit: Player's get-off at the line of scrimmage was inconsistent throughout his career. Against Pittsburgh as a junior, he was routinely the first player off the line. But in other games, he was a non-factor. Uses his length to close quickly and get a hold on the ball carrier.

Run defense: Isn't always fast to redirect against draw plays. Needs to develop better instincts against the run. Has to figure out how to get off blocks quicker against the run. Knows how to keep his feet clean. Has a long wingspan that he uses to his advantage to take up more space.

Strength: Plays stronger than his long, lean frame suggests. Player is particularly strong in his upper body but he still manages to get a good leg drive. Has a frame that can get much bigger if he lands on a 4-3 team.

Tackling: Although Player isn't a textbook perfect wrap and drive tackler, he has the length and power to make up for it. Gives good effort in pursuit to chase down the ball.

Technique: If Player wants his potential to match his athleticism, he needs to consistently play with a lower pad level. Coverage technique is largely unknown. He dropped back a few times, but will most likely have to work on his footwork if he goes to a 3-4 team. Does a good job of keeping his hands active and will use his free hand to make a play while still being blocked.

Final word: Player played very few games this season after suffering a leg injury. Still, Player earned first-team all-conference honors after finishing with XX tackles, x.x sacks, x forced fumbles and an interception. But his development as a prospect was hampered by the injury. Jones will enter the NFL loaded with potential because of his size and athleticism. But he needs to get better against the run and his technique needs some work.

If you read this far, you see some very close similarities to what has been said about Rousseau.  The scouting report is about Chandler Jones, who is clearly one of the very best pass rushers in the NFL and the guy who (in my mind) Rousseau most compares to. 

• Cheers 3

7 minutes ago, snafu said:

Aren’t all draft picks potential busts?

Already being discussed.  It'a "Dungy's" Responsibility!  -(double-dog-down-on-a-brain-fart-from-earlier). :classic_ninja:

It is what it is, and it will be what it will be. Respect the processs, and if Beane doesn't cut it, then McDermott will have his azzz in short order.

From now on you'll be history
You'll be his... You'll be his... You'll be history
And we will glorify your name
You will be a bust... Be a bust...
In the hall of fame

13 hours ago, Nanker said:

Already being discussed.  It'a "Dungy's" Responsibility!  -(double-dog-down-on-a-brain-fart-from-earlier). :classic_ninja:

It is what it is, and it will be what it will be. Respect the processs, and if Beane doesn't cut it, then McDermott will have his azzz in short order.

Dungy needs to be fired. Hell, the asshole doesn't even show up at the Bills facility on a regular basis, much less on game days.

• FANtastic 1

Fansince88
15 hours ago, Alaska Darin said:

Scouting report:

Pass rush: Player times the snap well, but he doesn't have great get-off quickness. Has long arms and active hands to keep blockers out of his frame. Has the athleticism to get low around the corner. Because of his length and athleticism, Player has the potential to develop into a high-level pass rusher. To do that, though, he needs to refine his secondary move. Player will get held up when his initial move fails and doesn't have the best lateral movement to work inside. Has lined up inside and outside the tackle.

Pursuit: Player's get-off at the line of scrimmage was inconsistent throughout his career. Against Pittsburgh as a junior, he was routinely the first player off the line. But in other games, he was a non-factor. Uses his length to close quickly and get a hold on the ball carrier.

Run defense: Isn't always fast to redirect against draw plays. Needs to develop better instincts against the run. Has to figure out how to get off blocks quicker against the run. Knows how to keep his feet clean. Has a long wingspan that he uses to his advantage to take up more space.

Strength: Plays stronger than his long, lean frame suggests. Player is particularly strong in his upper body but he still manages to get a good leg drive. Has a frame that can get much bigger if he lands on a 4-3 team.

Tackling: Although Player isn't a textbook perfect wrap and drive tackler, he has the length and power to make up for it. Gives good effort in pursuit to chase down the ball.

Technique: If Player wants his potential to match his athleticism, he needs to consistently play with a lower pad level. Coverage technique is largely unknown. He dropped back a few times, but will most likely have to work on his footwork if he goes to a 3-4 team. Does a good job of keeping his hands active and will use his free hand to make a play while still being blocked.

Final word: Player played very few games this season after suffering a leg injury. Still, Player earned first-team all-conference honors after finishing with XX tackles, x.x sacks, x forced fumbles and an interception. But his development as a prospect was hampered by the injury. Jones will enter the NFL loaded with potential because of his size and athleticism. But he needs to get better against the run and his technique needs some work.

If you read this far, you see some very close similarities to what has been said about Rousseau.  The scouting report is about Chandler Jones, who is clearly one of the very best pass rushers in the NFL and the guy who (in my mind) Rousseau most compares to. 

I did read this far and don't care about scouting reports.  Show me the game day in the pros. Until then we don't know. In Beane we trust.

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, Koko said:

Dungy needs to be fired. Hell, the asshole doesn't even show up at the Bills facility on a regular basis, much less on game days.

I’m surprised that Terry and Kim Wilson haven’t already pulled the trigger o that azzhole. 

5 minutes ago, Nanker said:

I’m surprised that Terry and Kim Wilson haven’t already pulled the trigger o that azzhole. 

Terry and Kim Wilson are still waiting for Ann and Nancy Wilson to approve the firing.
Apparently they don't have the Heart.

• Haha 2