Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Should be Headlines of the Day

Cinga

Crap Throwing Clavin
1 hour ago, Cinga said:

So if I'm reading that right, once someone is on meds for an issue, they better stay on them or there is a good chance of extreme violence from them? Sort of like we see in most of these shoot 'em up incidents?

Not exactly.  More that affective or schizophrenic disorders get worse with time if untreated or improperly treated (e.g., the "kindling hypothesis" in bipolar disorder).  Not maintaining a medication regimen contributes to that - it doesn't cause violence, as much as facilitate the instability that can lead to violence.

Ultimately, what affective disorders - probably the most common mental illnesses - are, is poor and inconsistent impulse control, which is why violence (against others or self) is common when they're untreated.

1 hour ago, Cinga said:

So if I'm reading that right, once someone is on meds for an issue, they better stay on them or there is a good chance of extreme violence from them? Sort of like we see in most of these shoot 'em up incidents?

And that is just flat out stupid. When I lost my wife our insurance and the company HR recommended seeing a psychological counselor to help with grief and told me insurance covered 3 visits a year.  I never used it since I'm arguably already a basket case sure to drive THEM nuts, but all I could think of was WTF? What about real cases that needed this kind of treatment yet only get 3 whole visits a year?

Three visits a year is nuts.  I've never seen a plan that covered fewer than 24 (which, at semi-monthly, is still rather low).  

All the insurance plans I've ever seen, though, have separate mental health riders for that coverage as well.  If they were covering three visits under the regular health insurance...sounds like you had a pretty BS insurance plan.  Probably Kaiser.

6 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

All the insurance plans I've ever seen, though, have separate mental health riders for that coverage as well.  If they were covering three visits under the regular health insurance...sounds like you had a pretty BS insurance plan.  Probably Kaiser.

Actually Cigna and because the company is self insured with a "woke" leadership I'm a bit surprised to since mental health seems to be the in thing right now for them.

Crap Throwing Clavin
12 minutes ago, Cinga said:

Actually Cigna and because the company is self insured with a "woke" leadership I'm a bit surprised to since mental health seems to be the in thing right now for them.

The woke approach to mental health is to deny mild and moderate mental health issues exist, as it demonizes the "neurodiverse" as ill or defective.  

Which I posted my thoughts about way up-thread, somewhere.

I's say it's about frigging time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It has boggled my mind forever noy understanding why they hadn't done this yet. As if they were waiting for someone else to rock the boat first and check the polls on it maybe?

Now do Joe and every other liberal that claims to be a "devout Catholic"!!!!!!!!

image.png.fbc09b7782c35f65464a4a1cd8225440.png

San Francisco Archbishop Salvatore Cordileone announced Friday that House Speaker Nancy Pelosi is barred from receiving Holy Communion due to her pro-abortion stance -- marking an escalation in a decades-long tension between the Roman Catholic Church and liberal Democratic politicians on abortion.

Cordileone has written to the California Democrat, informing her that she should not present herself for Holy Communion at Mass, and that priests will not distribute communion to her if she does present herself.

Edited by Cinga
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2

6 hours ago, Cinga said:

A problem with mental health medications (SSRI's in particular), is that a prescription for a particular medication becomes ineffective over time. This is because the patient builds up a tolerance to the prescribed medication and unless there is a concerned third party to help monitor changes in behavior, it can lead to many of the publicized issues.

• Like 1

On 5/16/2022 at 10:39 AM, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

I remember that when I was on depakote.  "Mechanism of action: we don't know."  

But they do generally work.  And in a lot of cases, uncertainty is less about the drugs than it is about the brain itself.

we don't know how it works, but it does.

gee- sounds like Eastern medicine and holistic healing

but Big Pharma can't make money since no drugs involved- so trashed by the Western medical community

Someone's been screwing over Haiti every step of the way

https://twitter.com/i/events/1528020823168122888

Haiti is the only country in the world where descendants of enslaved people were forced to pay reparations to descendants of their masters for generations. Nobody knew exactly how much Haiti paid France — and at what cost to its future — until now. https://nyti.ms/3MA2C3V

gjkVMelR_normal.png
The New York Times pored through archives and government documents to tabulate how much Haiti paid for its freedom. They reveal a debt so large, and so lasting, that it would help cement Haiti's path to poverty and underdevelopment. https://nytimes.com/interactive/2022/05/20/world/americas/enslaved-haiti-debt-timeline.html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur
  • Cheers 1