Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

WEEKLY BIBLE STUDY

Cinga

Just now, Koko said:

The American Medical Association reminds you to worship your doctor.

I still need to find one I like that doesnt want to shove pharmaceuticals down my throat.

8 minutes ago, Fansince88 said:

I still need to find one I like that doesnt want to shove pharmaceuticals down my throat.

Best bet is a naturopath, everyone else with an MD title is a trained pill dispenser just treating symptoms.

• Like 1

Just now, SackMan518 said:

Best bet is a naturopath, everyone else with an MD title is a trained pill dispenser just treating symptoms.

I actually have a dr thst was great with not pushing pills. She is hard to get into because of her hours. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, SackMan518 said:

Especially relevant in today's time. From the Book of Sirach:

Concerning Physicians and Health

38 Honor physicians for their services,
    for the Lord created them,
for their gift of healing comes from the Most High,
    and they are rewarded by the king.
The skill of physicians makes them distinguished,
    and in the presence of the great they are admired.
The Lord created medicines out of the earth,
    and the sensible will not despise them.
Was not water made sweet with a tree
    in order that its[a] power might be known?
And he gave skill to human beings
    that he[b] might be glorified in his marvelous works.
By them the physician[c] heals and takes away pain;
    the pharmacist makes a mixture from them.
God’s[d] works will never be finished,
    and from him health spreads over all the earth.

My child, when you are ill, do not delay,
    but pray to the Lord, and he will heal you.
10 Give up your faults and direct your hands rightly,
    and cleanse your heart from all sin.
11 Offer a sweet-smelling sacrifice and a memorial portion of choice flour,
    and pour oil on your offering, as much as you can afford.[e]
12 Then give physicians their place, for the Lord created them;
    do not let them leave you, for you need them.
13 There may come a time when recovery lies in the hands of physicians,[f]
14     for they, too, pray to the Lord
that he grant them success in diagnosis[g]
    and in healing, for the sake of preserving life.
15 Those who sin against their Maker
    will be defiant toward the physician.[h]

I don't get it... You said it is especially relevant today, but post a quote that praises the medical profession which is for the most part, operating under questionable ethics that are being exposed more every day. 

Since this is a Bible Study thread, perhaps you can expand a little to explain the quote and why you think it's relevant?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Cinga said:

I don't get it... You said it is especially relevant today, but post a quote that praises the medical profession which is for the most part, operating under questionable ethics that are being exposed more every day. 

Since this is a Bible Study thread, perhaps you can expand a little to explain the quote and why you think it's relevant?

5 Was not water made sweet with a tree
    in order that its[a] power might be known?
6 And he gave skill to human beings
    that he[b] might be glorified in his marvelous works.
7 By them the physician[c] heals and takes away pain;
8     the pharmacist makes a mixture from them.

The relevant part is that God created all of the medicines we need naturally through herbs, fruits, vegetables, etc yet the current system we live in promotes synthetic man made drugs with a variety of side effects aiming more for a effect to alleviate symptoms rather than treating the root cause of diseases.

• Cheers 2

21 hours ago, SackMan518 said:

2 hours ago, SackMan518 said:

The relevant part is that God created all of the medicines we need naturally through herbs, fruits, vegetables, etc yet the current system we live in promotes synthetic man made drugs with a variety of side effects aiming more for a effect to alleviate symptoms rather than treating the root cause of diseases.

Gotcha, I don't have access to Sirach or the other books added to the Catholic Bible for me to go and have a look at the original Hebrew/Chaldean text to know for sure what is meant by the word "pharmacist" but I'm going to assume it is the same translation as the rest of the Bible, pharmakon or pharmakeus. 

First, I agree that God has given us a cure for every possible scenario and in fact a vast majority of medicines today are  derived from plant, bacteria, or even animals. Once that derivative is found, they then find a way to artificially produce it and enhance it, probably so they can then patent it but sometimes to condense it since often the derivative is too low content to do it on it's own. 

The use of the term Pharmakon is the Bible however is most often associated with sorcery, witchcraft, and alchemy and I think you hit on that in the second when you said the current system promotes synthetic man made drugs that seem to treat symptoms more than the disease. I think arguably, pharmaceutical drug companies and your pill dispenser doctors are exactly what God is referring to as sorcerers and witches. 

SIra is right, doctors have been given a wonderful gift of healing ability by God, just as every other profession is also a gift, and honorable before Him. But just as any other, to misuse that gift to enhance your own ego of wallet is the tragedy God warns of. 

Bottom line, I agree, trust your doctor, but also never be afraid to get a second or third opinion, and most certainly research things on your own and ALWAYS go to the Great Healer Himself to ask for clarity in all things!

Thanks for this thought provoking post, and welcome aboard the best Bills site for meaningful conversation!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SackMan518 said:

It truly amazes me when I walk in the woods and scan a plant to see what it is. Then follow up with "uses" how many plants can cure or assist with numerous ailments. 

• Cheers 2

On 7/31/2022 at 11:27 AM, Cinga said:

Gotcha, I don't have access to Sirach or the other books added to the Catholic Bible for me to go and have a look at the original Hebrew/Chaldean text to know for sure what is meant by the word "pharmacist" but I'm going to assume it is the same translation as the rest of the Bible, pharmakon or pharmakeus. 

First, I agree that God has given us a cure for every possible scenario and in fact a vast majority of medicines today are  derived from plant, bacteria, or even animals. Once that derivative is found, they then find a way to artificially produce it and enhance it, probably so they can then patent it but sometimes to condense it since often the derivative is too low content to do it on it's own. 

The use of the term Pharmakon is the Bible however is most often associated with sorcery, witchcraft, and alchemy and I think you hit on that in the second when you said the current system promotes synthetic man made drugs that seem to treat symptoms more than the disease. I think arguably, pharmaceutical drug companies and your pill dispenser doctors are exactly what God is referring to as sorcerers and witches. 

SIra is right, doctors have been given a wonderful gift of healing ability by God, just as every other profession is also a gift, and honorable before Him. But just as any other, to misuse that gift to enhance your own ego of wallet is the tragedy God warns of. 

Bottom line, I agree, trust your doctor, but also never be afraid to get a second or third opinion, and most certainly research things on your own and ALWAYS go to the Great Healer Himself to ask for clarity in all things!

Thanks for this thought provoking post, and welcome aboard the best Bills site for meaningful conversation!

Thank you so much, I love your insight on this topic. I find myself always curious about the Apocrypha texts because they have a lot of wisdom in them even if they don't 100% jibe with the approved Council of Nicea books.

• Love 1

I guess they changed the definition of BC

How old was Jesus when he died? Why scholars are not in agreement on it. (msn.com)

Jesus was born around 4 B.C. and was crucified in A.D. 30, according to the PBS FRONTLINE show "From Jesus to Christ." Britannica cites his birth year as ranging from 6 to 4 B.C. and has the same death year as Frontline. 

Edited by Spartacus
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Spartacus said:

I guess they changed the definition of BC

How old was Jesus when he died? Why scholars are not in agreement on it. (msn.com)

Jesus was born around 4 B.C. and was crucified in A.D. 30, according to the PBS FRONTLINE show "From Jesus to Christ." Britannica cites his birth year as ranging from 6 to 4 B.C. and has the same death year as Frontline. 

Honestly, an exact timeline of Jesus birth isn't necessary in our belief. I think just knowing He was born, Died, and was Resurrected as the perfect sacrifice for the atonement of our sins is the basis of our Faith. 

Let's face it... Everything else is a distraction. Whether renaming BC (Before Christ) to BCE (before common era) or questioning whether Jesus was really born on Dec 25th or any of the other questions that are used, they don't really matter to people who believe, but do add to the doubt of non-believers which I think is the true intent.

• Like 1
  • Applause 2

Aug 6

Now that the Ark has landed, Noah and his family will have to get on with life, to be fruitful and multiply to fill the earth. But also understand, they had just spent a year on a boat, albeit a huge one, yet filled with turbulent seas outside due to the upheaval from the fountains of the deep being ripped open, and of course the company of all the animals of all kinds inside. While we weren’t there and can only speculate, tensions may have been a little high by the time the Ark finally came to rest and everyone, and everything were allowed off again after a year of flood.

So, with that in mind, while we know God destroyed most of Creation because of the evil, it is sure to return perhaps to a lesser extent, once again.

My comments are in italics

18 The sons of Noah who came out of the ark were Shem, Ham and Japheth. (Ham was the father of Canaan.) – Odd time perhaps to name the son of one of Noah son’s, but we will see the reason soon.

19 These were the three sons of Noah, and from them came the people who were scattered over the whole earth. – So, descended from these 3 sons will be all of mankind with Noah the new father of mankind. We know there are other Flood stories in history, but they are all based off on this one, not independent of this.

20 Noah, a man of the soil, proceeded to plant a vineyard. 21 When he drank some of its wine, he became drunk and lay uncovered inside his tent. – You’ve heard the stories that claim ancients didn’t know how to make wine and it originated in China so it must have been grape juice. But the original for wine is hay-yayin which also means fermented. But Noah had been saved as well from the wrath of God because the Lord has viewed him as righteous in His sight. But considering all he had just been through; we also get a glimpse at Noah own imperfections and weakness as he lay uncovered in his shame. This shows us even the best of men cannot stand on their own without Gods’ Grace..

22 Ham, the father of Canaan, saw his father naked and told his two brothers outside. – 2 things on this statement. First we see Ham mentioned again as the father of Canaan so Canaan must have been born either on the Ark, or soon after. The other is this was not merely seeing his father naked as it most likely has happened before. But as you will see soon, it is very possible that Ham made fun of his father’s nakedness when telling his brothers what he had seen. The issue wasn’t necessarily in seeing Noah naked, but in telling, or how he told it.

23 But Shem and Japheth took a garment and laid it across their shoulders; then they walked in backward and covered their father’s naked body. Their faces were turned the other way so that they would not see their father naked.Unlike Ham, the other brothers did this to hide their father’s shame as an example to us in how to treat people with compassion in their own sins.

24 When Noah awoke from his wine and found out what his youngest son had done to him, 25 he said,

“Cursed be Canaan!
    The lowest of slaves
    will he be to his brothers.”

Note that this curse is on Canaan the son of Ham and not on Ham himself. Canaan as we will see, becomes the father of the Canaanite people we will be discussing more as e move through the Bible, and its history.

26 He also said,

“Praise be to the Lord, the God of Shem!
    May Canaan be the slave of Shem.
27 May God extend Japheth’s territory;
    may Japheth live in the tents of Shem,
    and may Canaan be the slave of Japheth.”

So in this part of the curse on Canaan, he also proclaims a Blessing on both Shem and Japeth

28 After the flood Noah lived 350 years. 29 Noah lived a total of 950 years, and then he died

This final verse is curious if you remember back to the generations of Adam from Gen 5. As we went through each, they were the father of another, then had other son’s and daughters before they died. The exception of course was Enoch who found favor in God’s eye and was caught up or raptured straight to Heaven. However here we see Noah is done, there is no mention of other sons and daughters before he dies at 950 years old.

May you and yours have a Blessed week!

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

Aug 14

As we continue in John 5 we had just gotten a glimpse into what will happen in the end of days, however how do we know this is true? While I believe we have already established the Faithfulness of God’s Word in our study, here we can see Jesus address it Himself with the priests and people of His time

31 “If I testify about myself, my testimony is not true. – This isn’t to say His Words would be a lie as we know the Lord can’t lie, but that even in those days while you could legally testify in your own defense, it doesn’t mean a lot without corroborating evidence or testimony.

32 There is another who testifies in my favor, and I know that his testimony about me is true. 33 “You have sent to John and he has testified to the truth. – He tells them that John has born witness about Him and what he said is true

34 Not that I accept human testimony; but I mention it that you may be saved. Did you get that? Jesus is saying that while human testimony is good enough for them, He himself doesn’t require it as He is beyond human understanding. But what Jesus is doing is explaining that all of this was done to lead them (and us) to Him

35 John was a lamp that burned and gave light, and you chose for a time to enjoy his light. – This again is meant to give Truth to the testimony of John, remember back to John 1:8 “He was not the light, but came to bear witness of the Light” that was coming in Jesus

36 “I have testimony weightier than that of John. For the works that the Father has given me to finish—the very works that I am doing—testify that the Father has sent me. He has established the basis of Truth in human understanding and now continues to display the connection between Himself and God the Father in Heaven.

37 And the Father who sent me has himself testified concerning me. You have never heard his voice nor seen his form, 38 nor does his word dwell in you, for you do not believe the one he sent. 39 You study the Scriptures diligently because you think that in them you have eternal life. These are the very Scriptures that testify about me, 40 yet you refuse to come to me to have life. – I’m going to ask all of you to go back to page 1 of our study and read the lesson of Matthew 13 of August 15 last year. Remember in it we learned that understanding of Scripture is given to us when we study out of Love for Him, and it will help you to understand just why Jesus is telling the Pharisees don’t understand what they see and hear

41 “I do not accept glory from human beings, 42 but I know you. I know that you do not have the love of God in your hearts. – Here again, let me emphasis Matt 13 and learning to read the Word out of Love for Him to find real understanding! While the Pharisees and many of the people of this time knew Scripture, they didn’t have the understanding that comes of Love to know who Jesus was

43 I have come in my Father’s name, and you do not accept me; but if someone else comes in his own name, you will accept him. – Jesus has established that John testified as to who He was, and God has born witness to Him, yet they still don’t accept Him. Yet the second part, that if someone came in their own name, without witness testimony they would accept them. Historically, we know of over 60 people that came after Christ that claimed to be Messiah, anti-Christs if you will, some of whom were accepted. Likewise in the end times as you know, there will be another who will make the same false claims.

44 How can you believe since you accept glory from one another but do not seek the glory that comes from the only God? How they point to each other and declare their own righteousness instead of seeking God.

45 “But do not think I will accuse you before the Father. Your accuser is Moses, on whom your hopes are set. 46 If you believed Moses, you would believe me, for he wrote about me. 47 But since you do not believe what he wrote, how are you going to believe what I say?”

In this final part the Lord even points out that their very law, the writing of Moses (and the other Prophets) proclaims the Truth about Him, yet they still don’t see who He is. This is all things they would know from their self-proclaimed study of Scripture if they had real understanding of its meaning. To quote Matt 13:13, “Though seeing, they do not see; though hearing, they do not understand”

I pray that you have the Love of Jesus in your Heart so He brings you wisdom and understanding

• Like 1

Aug 21

There is not going to be a lot to comment on in this chapter which begins the immediate descendants of Noah sons, Shem, Ham, and Japeth and more of this will come in the following chapters as we meet some of them. But I would pray that you keep this chapter somewhere so you can refer back to it as we move forward in our studies. If your interested in learning more, the ancient historian Josephus has written more that you can find with a search that will support this and more.

Please be sure to read the commentary at the end.

My comments are in Italics

This is the account of Shem, Ham and Japheth, Noah’s sons, who themselves had sons after the flood.

The Japhethites

The sons of Japheth:

Gomer, Magog, Madai, Javan, Tubal, Meshek and Tiras.

The sons of Gomer:

Ashkenaz, Riphath and Togarmah.

The sons of Javan:

Elishah, Tarshish, the Kittites and the Rodanites. (From these the maritime peoples spread out into their territories by their clans within their nations, each with its own language.)

The Japhethites are responsible for populating much of the world as they scattered to Eurasia, and of course across the Bering Strait to the Americas. But notice to verse 4 the sons of Javan who became a seafaring people and would be the ones who settled island nations as well.

The Hamites

The sons of Ham:

Cush, Egypt, Put and Canaan.

The sons of Cush:

Seba, Havilah, Sabtah, Raamah and Sabteka.

The sons of Raamah:

Sheba and Dedan.

Cush was the father of Nimrod, who became a mighty warrior on the earth. He was a mighty hunter before the Lord; that is why it is said, “Like Nimrod, a mighty hunter before the Lord.” 10 The first centers of his kingdom were Babylon, Uruk, Akkad and Kalneh, in Shinar. 11 From that land he went to Assyria, where he built Nineveh, Rehoboth Ir,[f] Calah 12 and Resen, which is between Nineveh and Calah—which is the great city.

13 Egypt was the father of

the Ludites, Anamites, Lehabites, Naphtuhites, 14 Pathrusites, Kasluhites (from whom the Philistines came) and Caphtorites.

15 Canaan was the father of

Sidon his firstborn, and of the Hittites, 16 Jebusites, Amorites, Girgashites, 17 Hivites, Arkites, Sinites, 18 Arvadites, Zemarites and Hamathites.

Later the Canaanite clans scattered 19 and the borders of Canaan reached from Sidon toward Gerar as far as Gaza, and then toward Sodom, Gomorrah, Admah and Zeboyim, as far as Lasha.

20 These are the sons of Ham by their clans and languages, in their territories and nations.

All of Ham sons you should be or will become familiar with as the descendants make up a lot of the modern Arab world into Africa and southern Asia. Remember the curse Noah put on Ham and his descendants and you can foresee the animosity that is still alive today in the region.

The Semites

21 Sons were also born to Shem, whose older brother was Japheth; Shem was the ancestor of all the sons of Eber.

22 The sons of Shem:

Elam, Ashur, Arphaxad, Lud and Aram.

23 The sons of Aram:

Uz, Hul, Gether and Meshek.

24 Arphaxad was the father of Shelah,

and Shelah the father of Eber.

25 Two sons were born to Eber:

One was named Peleg, because in his time the earth was divided; his brother was named Joktan.

26 Joktan was the father of

Almodad, Sheleph, Hazarmaveth, Jerah, 27 Hadoram, Uzal, Diklah, 28 Obal, Abimael, Sheba, 29 Ophir, Havilah and Jobab. All these were sons of Joktan.

30 The region where they lived stretched from Mesha toward Sephar, in the eastern hill country.

31 These are the sons of Shem by their clans and languages, in their territories and nations.

32 These are the clans of Noah’s sons, according to their lines of descent, within their nations. From these the nations spread out over the earth after the flood.

Shem’s descendants are the Semites as you see, and while they did of course mix around the world, they would also be the line of which the Hebrew people, Israel, and of course our Savior the Lord Jesus Christ.

2 things to address here as we end the story of Noah.

First, all of us; races, ethnic groups, all of humankind descend from Noah through these 3 sons. A mistake is made in evolution associating adaptation within a species as evolving from one species to another. All of we humans, regardless of race, are all still related one to the other within the human species. Just as Darwin finches are still finches, or a black and white goat are still goats. As humans scattered, they adapted to their different environments and as we come back together now we are witnessing in real time, our coming back together and assimilating features and colors together again.

Second is population growth. In order to reach the roughly 8 billion we have now since Noah, we would double the world population 30 times. And if we divide out those 30 times by the 4400 years roughly since the flood we can expect a doubling every 145 to 150 years. It’s quite easy to see it grow after the flood in a relatively short period of time from 8 to 16, to 32, to 64 etc. We also see by today statistics we double about every 50 years now. The Middle Ages of plague and pestilence, caused by the poor hygiene of the era would have caused a real slowing of growth as estimated there were about 300 million at the time of Jesus, showing a faster growth to that point as well as current.

Too often overlooked by both sides of the debate, I point this out to show that population growth is more in line with Creation Science than the millions of years claimed in evolution.

• Cheers 2

13 hours ago, Cinga said:

Aug 21

There is not going to be a lot to comment on in this chapter which begins the immediate descendants of Noah sons, Shem, Ham, and Japeth and more of this will come in the following chapters as we meet some of them. But I would pray that you keep this chapter somewhere so you can refer back to it as we move forward in our studies. If your interested in learning more, the ancient historian Josephus has written more that you can find with a search that will support this and more.

Please be sure to read the commentary at the end.

My comments are in Italics

This is the account of Shem, Ham and Japheth, Noah’s sons, who themselves had sons after the flood.

The Japhethites

The sons of Japheth:

Gomer, Magog, Madai, Javan, Tubal, Meshek and Tiras.

The sons of Gomer:

Ashkenaz, Riphath and Togarmah.

The sons of Javan:

Elishah, Tarshish, the Kittites and the Rodanites. (From these the maritime peoples spread out into their territories by their clans within their nations, each with its own language.)

The Japhethites are responsible for populating much of the world as they scattered to Eurasia, and of course across the Bering Strait to the Americas. But notice to verse 4 the sons of Javan who became a seafaring people and would be the ones who settled island nations as well.

The Hamites

The sons of Ham:

Cush, Egypt, Put and Canaan.

The sons of Cush:

Seba, Havilah, Sabtah, Raamah and Sabteka.

The sons of Raamah:

Sheba and Dedan.

Cush was the father of Nimrod, who became a mighty warrior on the earth. He was a mighty hunter before the Lord; that is why it is said, “Like Nimrod, a mighty hunter before the Lord.” 10 The first centers of his kingdom were Babylon, Uruk, Akkad and Kalneh, in Shinar. 11 From that land he went to Assyria, where he built Nineveh, Rehoboth Ir,[f] Calah 12 and Resen, which is between Nineveh and Calah—which is the great city.

13 Egypt was the father of

the Ludites, Anamites, Lehabites, Naphtuhites, 14 Pathrusites, Kasluhites (from whom the Philistines came) and Caphtorites.

15 Canaan was the father of

Sidon his firstborn, and of the Hittites, 16 Jebusites, Amorites, Girgashites, 17 Hivites, Arkites, Sinites, 18 Arvadites, Zemarites and Hamathites.

Later the Canaanite clans scattered 19 and the borders of Canaan reached from Sidon toward Gerar as far as Gaza, and then toward Sodom, Gomorrah, Admah and Zeboyim, as far as Lasha.

20 These are the sons of Ham by their clans and languages, in their territories and nations.

All of Ham sons you should be or will become familiar with as the descendants make up a lot of the modern Arab world into Africa and southern Asia. Remember the curse Noah put on Ham and his descendants and you can foresee the animosity that is still alive today in the region.

The Semites

21 Sons were also born to Shem, whose older brother was Japheth; Shem was the ancestor of all the sons of Eber.

22 The sons of Shem:

Elam, Ashur, Arphaxad, Lud and Aram.

23 The sons of Aram:

Uz, Hul, Gether and Meshek.

24 Arphaxad was the father of Shelah,

and Shelah the father of Eber.

25 Two sons were born to Eber:

One was named Peleg, because in his time the earth was divided; his brother was named Joktan.

26 Joktan was the father of

Almodad, Sheleph, Hazarmaveth, Jerah, 27 Hadoram, Uzal, Diklah, 28 Obal, Abimael, Sheba, 29 Ophir, Havilah and Jobab. All these were sons of Joktan.

30 The region where they lived stretched from Mesha toward Sephar, in the eastern hill country.

31 These are the sons of Shem by their clans and languages, in their territories and nations.

32 These are the clans of Noah’s sons, according to their lines of descent, within their nations. From these the nations spread out over the earth after the flood.

Shem’s descendants are the Semites as you see, and while they did of course mix around the world, they would also be the line of which the Hebrew people, Israel, and of course our Savior the Lord Jesus Christ.

2 things to address here as we end the story of Noah.

First, all of us; races, ethnic groups, all of humankind descend from Noah through these 3 sons. A mistake is made in evolution associating adaptation within a species as evolving from one species to another. All of we humans, regardless of race, are all still related one to the other within the human species. Just as Darwin finches are still finches, or a black and white goat are still goats. As humans scattered, they adapted to their different environments and as we come back together now we are witnessing in real time, our coming back together and assimilating features and colors together again.

Second is population growth. In order to reach the roughly 8 billion we have now since Noah, we would double the world population 30 times. And if we divide out those 30 times by the 4400 years roughly since the flood we can expect a doubling every 145 to 150 years. It’s quite easy to see it grow after the flood in a relatively short period of time from 8 to 16, to 32, to 64 etc. We also see by today statistics we double about every 50 years now. The Middle Ages of plague and pestilence, caused by the poor hygiene of the era would have caused a real slowing of growth as estimated there were about 300 million at the time of Jesus, showing a faster growth to that point as well as current.

Too often overlooked by both sides of the debate, I point this out to show that population growth is more in line with Creation Science than the millions of years claimed in evolution.

FYI, as a side note,  I would like to introduce you to the founder of Baal worship and the creator of the tower of Babal. Nimrod.

Cush was the father of Nimrod, who became a mighty warrior on the earth. He was a mighty hunter before the Lord; that is why it is said, “Like Nimrod, a mighty hunter before the Lord.” 

only took 1 generation after the flood for Satan to grab a stronghold. 

Edited by Fansince88
  • Like 2

Aug 28

As we move into John 6 I feel the Spirit tell me to send a reminder that while the miracles like curing individual maladies of Jesus were really cool, we don’t want to lose focus as to the real reason He was here. Yeah, I know, miracles certainly benefited persons who were Blessed by His attention, and we could certainly see it as a personal healing for ourselves. But Jesus was here to fulfill the Law and Prophecy of the OT, and that is to restore all of mankind with a path to redemption and forgiveness of sin through His Grace.

But I pray by now you understand that the miracles are really a testimony or confirmation that Jesus was who He said He was.

Some time after this, Jesus crossed to the far shore of the Sea of Galilee (that is, the Sea of Tiberias),  - no, I didn’t make that up, Tiberius is derived from the original Greek Tiberiados

and a great crowd of people followed him because they saw the signs he had performed by healing the sick. – 2 things to take in here, first they saw is from etheoroun which means spectator of, or intensively acknowledge. The other is signs, which is semeia which can mean ceremonial or supernatural. So, this could read “they bore witness to His supernatural acts”

Then Jesus went up on a mountainside and sat down with his disciples. The Jewish Passover Festival was near.The Passover is celebrated every year as a reminder to the Jewish people of the final plague God inflicted on the Egyptians as Moses demanded they be freed. It was the death of the first born and the Hebrews painted the lintel over their doors with lamb’s blood, so the angel of death knew to pass over their home.

When Jesus looked up and saw a great crowd coming toward him, he said to Philip, “Where shall we buy bread for these people to eat?” – It is traditional to serve a Passover meal and tell the story or the first Passover and as you know, this is of course another Law Jesus would have fulfilled.

He asked this only to test him, for he already had in mind what he was going to do.Philip answered him, “It would take more than half a year’s wages to buy enough bread for each one to have a bite!” They did have a money keeper, it was Judas as you will see, that held the money the earned, or had donated on their journey. While Philip seems aghast at the cost, one would also wonder what baker might have enough nearby to feed 5,000. Some translations say 200 denarii which is about half year wages of the time.

Another of his disciples, Andrew, Simon Peter’s brother, spoke up, “Here is a boy with five small barley loaves and two small fish, but how far will they go among so many?” – It is said that barley bread was the cheapest of the day, and staple of the Galilean peasant. But take a moment and put yourself is this boy’s shoes! His small gift, hoping to make a little money in the crown I’m sure for his family, was instead going to multiply and feen 5,000 with more leftover than the original basket had! What a humbling experience it must have been!

10 Jesus said, “Have the people sit down.” There was plenty of grass in that place, and they sat down (about five thousand men were there). – I’ve spoken of this briefly before but want to once again and highlight the grass. Mark 6:39 even tells us the grass was green. I know the movies always show a desert in Jesus time, but there isa strong Biblical evidence it wasn’t.

11 Jesus then took the loaves, gave thanks, and distributed to those who were seated as much as they wanted. He did the same with the fish. – A word of understanding here. Jesus took it upon Himself to feed the crowd this Passover meal He had miraculously multiplied after He told everyone else to have a seat!

12 When they had all had enough to eat, he said to his disciples, “Gather the pieces that are left over. Let nothing be wasted.” 13 So they gathered them and filled twelve baskets with the pieces of the five barley loaves left over by those who had eaten.Still plenty left for some to take home, and for Jesus to continue their journey.

14 After the people saw the sign Jesus performed, they began to say, “Surely this is the Prophet who is to come into the world.” 15 Jesus, knowing that they intended to come and make him king by force, withdrew again to a mountain by himself

As we move on you will come to see the Jews were waiting on a Messiah who would be King and rescue then from the oppression under the Roman Empire. I pray you have seen however, He did come here to rescue us by becoming the perfect sacrifice and rescue us from the oppression of our sins. But I assure you, He is coming back once again soon, and this time it will be as King of Kings, and Lord of Lords!

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

On 8/28/2022 at 10:19 PM, SackMan518 said:

Actor Shia LaBeouf Has His "Come to Jesus" Moment
The troubled agnostic became a Christian after studying the life of Saint Padre Pio. And a look back at his battle with 4chan via "He Will Not Divide Us."

I pray it sticks with him. This man has been through a lot, mostly self-inflicted and just like everyone else, needs God

• FANtastic 2
  • Love 1

9 hours ago, Cinga said:

I pray it sticks with him. This man has been through a lot, mostly self-inflicted and just like everyone else, needs God

I have always felt he has a calling on his life from God. Pray this brings him into that. We shall see.

• Like 3

On 9/2/2022 at 11:07 PM, Cinga said:

Me too. I was troubled like him in my youth and received the sacraments this past Easter.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1