Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

BILLS @ Lions, Pre-season game #1: The Aftermath

TakeYouToTasker 2.0

1. Davis Webb was better than I expected. He's not Josh Allen, but he did what was asked of him.
2. Singletary looked pretty good.
3. Duke Williams :wave:

Always tough to know what you see during the pre-season where third-stringers look like world beaters. But I thought our DL looked pretty good with a definite learning curve on display by some of our rooks and new comers. Will be good to see how they progress through this next game.

• Like 1

Rough game for some youngsters, notably Hamlin, Wildgoose, Doyle, Griffin.  

Tough to judge the QBs because it was clear Daboll wanted to work the run game and short passing.  I'm guessing that the bubble WRs hated that.   Stevenson's speed is notable.  

Run D held up well through the 2nd string.   I'm not too concerned about run D issues later on, but the weak arm tackling will be the lowlight in Sunday's film session.  

• Like 4
  • Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, Foxx said:

Always tough to know what you see during the pre-season where third-stringers look like world beaters. But I thought our DL looked pretty good with a definite learning curve on display by some of our rooks and new comers. Will be good to see how they progress through this next game.

It is tough , but lots to like about the 1st preseason game. The play of Singletary really got my blood pumping. Running with more strength and it shows. Seeing some of this years rookies making plays put a smile on my face.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Figster said:

It is tough , but lots to like about the 1st preseason game. The play of Singletary really got my blood pumping. Running with more strength and it shows. Seeing some of this years rookies making plays put a smile on my face.

I've always been a fan of Siran Neal. I was pleasantly surprised to hear the announcers say (was it Tasker?) that McDermott told them that he thought the game was slowing down for him.

He is a gifted athlete and a monster on special teams. Speaking of monsters, I think that was the vision and position McBean had in mind when they drafted him. With some of the tight ends we have in our division, it would be nice if indeed the game has slowed for him. I think he can be a good coverage guy as well as playing the run.

That hybrid CB/LB they thought he could turn into.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Foxx said:

I've always been a fan of Siran Neal. I was pleasantly surprised to hear the announcers say (was it Tasker?) that McDermott told them that he thought the game was slowing down for him.

He is a gifted athlete and a monster on special teams. Speaking of monsters, I think that was the vision and position McBean had in mind when they drafted him. With some of the tight ends we have in our division, it would be nice if indeed the game has slowed for him. I think he can be a good coverage guy as well as playing the run.

That hybrid CB/LB they thought he could turn into.

Also made the comment Neal was one of the best athletes in the room If I remember correctly.

Awesome the way the some of the veteran players are coaching up the young guys. Looked liked Josh Allen was even coaching up WR's on body positioning and ball protection.

Love this team... 

• Like 2

Happy to see the backups win. Poyer's answer about who he is most impressed by was just another good sign that Rousseau is gonna ball out. Very excited to see our line when it's Jerry, Star, Ed and Greg. The rotation keeping them fresh will be amazing to watch.

• Like 3

From his The Athletic article (paid site)

</snip>

Rousseau looks the part

It’s hard to be anything other than impressed with the Bills’ first-round pick, Greg Rousseau. Playing in his first game since the 2019 season, Rousseau was excellent as a pass rusher and collected a sack on just his third snap of the preseason. He also had three pressures in a limited time on the field, and he was primarily working against top-10 selection and fellow rookie Penei Sewell.

By many reports, Sewell has looked very good at Lions training camp this summer. Rousseau’s performance is a vindication of how he has performed during Bills’ training camp to this point, often forcing the issue against a good starting offensive tackle like Daryl Williams during practice. Rousseau’s length, speed and change of direction skills make him a legitimate pass-rushing prospect. If he were doing this against third-stringers, then the optimism about Rousseau would be a bit more tempered. But he’s consistently beating legitimately talented offensive tackles for pressures, which only builds how strong of a summer he’s had.

He needs to keep this momentum heading into the rest of the preseason and into the regular season, but it really looks like the Bills are on to something with Rousseau. He’s well ahead of where A.J. Epenesa was as a rookie, and if Rousseau continues on this track, he’s trending toward having a legitimate role in his first year.

Basham woefully behind

With the encouraging signs from Rousseau come the disappointing snaps from second-round pick and defensive end Boogie Basham. Many expected Basham to be the one making an early impact and Rousseau needing a bit more time to develop, but at least for now, it seems like it’s the other way around.

Basham first entered the contest as a substitute defensive end and played through to the end of the game — which likely means the Bills want him to get all the reps he can handle to figure things out. Basham lined up on both the right and left side at defensive end and even slid inside to defensive tackle, and that versatility was the highlight of his evening.

However, Basham was not impactful as a pass-rusher. He was getting stymied against the second and third-team offensive line of the Lions, and that’s a situation when a talent like Basham should be showing flashes against inferior players. He’s still trying to figure things out at the moment. If he doesn’t turn a corner in the next two weeks, it would not be a surprise if Basham began the year as Epenesa did last year — as a game-day inactive while he learns the craft from an NFL perspective and develops in the background. The Bills have sufficient depth on the defensive line and can afford to let Basham learn behind the scenes until he’s ready.

</snip>

• Like 2

Odd time to fire him.

Detroit Lions fire head athletic trainer Dave Granito: 'We needed to go another way'

The Detroit Lions made a rare in-season move to their training staff Friday, firing head athletic trainer Dave Granito.

First-year Lions coach Dan Campbell confirmed the move after Friday's preseason loss to the Buffalo Bills.

Campbell said the decision to fire Granito, who was hired in 2019, was not based on one incident.

</snip>

Granito was one of the last ex-New England *Patriots brought into the organization under former Lions general manager Bob Quinn and head coach Matt Patricia. He worked for the *Patriots in 2002-16, during of much of Quinn and Patricia's time in New England, and spent three seasons (2016-18) as director of athletic training at Michigan.

</snip>

• Like 1