Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

A Few Thoughts About the Lions Game, in no particular order

Virgil

3 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Preseason games are not real games. 

I agree. They seem to be getting further and further from real games as the years go on, too. 

4 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Rousseau (I need a nickname for this kid quickly)

You don't like Groot for Rousseau? It really does seem to fit.

4 minutes ago, Virgil said:

4 - This is typically where I post lyrics from a song by one band for the entire season.  One year, I did movie quotes, but that was harder.  In the past, I've used the Grateful Dead (Always for you Bill), Dave Matthews, and Barenaked Ladies.  This year, I haven't decided what I'm going to do.  If you read this and have ideas, let me know.  I'll post this same message in all three game recaps and see if there's a consensus. 

Famous football quotes.

As always, an excellent write-up, @Virgil. What is your new website? 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, Ann said:

As always, an excellent write-up, @Virgil. What is your new website? 

I'm working on a blog page through Wix and I'm giving myself until the start of the season to get it completed.  However, that's just going to be a place to store everything I write.  Everything will be put here on the forum. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

Good lord I love my @Virgil writeups! Great to hear from you again, good sir. Since I'm here exclusively now, it will be awesome to read your posts every week again.

#4, go with quotes from TV shows that reference something to do with football. 

• Like 3

Thanks @Virgil.

Preseason, for me, is just a chance for my eyes to adjust to watching a football game on TV again -- and to see the new kids and free agents.  It takes me a long time to get up to speed.

As for #4 -- I like the song and/or movie quotes. 

• Like 2

Good write up Virgil!

To address your point about Dobbins, my preferred 2020 draft would have been trading up for Jeudy. A draft like that would mean no Diggs and (presumably) no Epinesa due to trading away the 2nd round pick to move up. 

As a rookie Jeudy had 859 receiving yards. Diggs had 720 receiving yards his rookie year. So, there’s a chance Jeudy can become as good a receiver as Diggs. But Diggs is clearly the better player right now. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Arm of Harm said:

my preferred 2020 draft would have been trading up for Jeudy. A draft like that would mean no Diggs and (presumably) no Epinesa due to trading away the 2nd round pick to move up. 

No Diggs means Allen doesn't have a true #1 veteran receiver last year.
I don't believe Allen would have made that developmental jump without Diggs last year.
Plus the chemistry they have can't be overstated.

Edited by Uncle Joe
  • Like 1
  • FANtastic 1

1 hour ago, Uncle Joe said:

No Diggs means Allen doesn't have a true #1 veteran receiver last year.
I don't believe Allen would have made that developmental jump without Diggs last year.
Plus the chemistry they have can't be overstated.

You are not wrong.

I agree that if the Bills had drafted Jeudy instead of trading for Diggs, they wouldn't have gotten as much production out of the #1 WR position. Even as a rookie Jeudy commanded the attention that's reserved for a #1 WR. So, he'd still be freeing up guys like Brown, Beasley, and Davis to make catches. But his production would have been less than what we saw from Diggs. The chemistry between Allen and Jeudy wouldn't have been as good as what we've seen with Diggs.

The beaudy of Jeudy is that he gives you a significantly younger #1 WR than Diggs. I'm not saying that what I'd wanted would have been better or worse than what the Bills actually did. It's too soon to know which path would have been better. All that's certain is that in 2020, Diggs + Epenesa produced more than Jeudy.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Arm of Harm said:

It's too soon to know which path would have been better. All that's certain is that in 2020, Diggs + Epenesa produced more than Jeudy.

Agree that 1 year is way too early to evaluate a draft and its respective picks.
I was pleased when we drafted Davis last year and he more than exceeded expectations. Time will also tell how good Gabe will be.

• Like 2

Beer__League__Hockey
18 hours ago, Virgil said:

5 - Bass - In full transparency, I've always enjoyed the jokes about kickers in the NFL.  While I understand the mental pressure of having the game on the line, I still never put much thought into kickers.  If they made the kick, they did their job.  If they missed, cut em!  Bass has slowly changed the way I pay attention to kickers.  Early last season, you could clearly see the power of his leg as he would just boom the ball off his foot.  But also, you could see the ball had a strange trajectory when he kicked it as if the ball had a mind of it's own.  There were definitely moments early one where many wondered if we kept the wrong kicker and we saw him improve as the season went on until we got to the point where you expected him to hit everything.  So far, through training camp and in this game, he truly is Bass-omatic.  His swagger and confidence each time he walks onto the field is evident and his kicks are going right down the middle with the same level of power.  It's been interesting to watch his development and hope he keeps it going.

6 - Haack - Of all the offseason moves I didn't understand, not resigning Bojo is one of them.  Beane made some cryptic comments that led me to believe Bojo wanted to get paid, but then he took a competition role with the Rams.  While we didn't punt a lot last season, I figured Bojo was a no-brainer to be resigned and wouldn't cost a lot (which he didn't for the Rams).  However, after just one game watching Haack, I'm good.  This guy has an absolute leg and is a pure assassin with it.  I don't understand why the Dolphins let him go.  He pinned two punts inside the 20 from the opposite side of the field and really had a good showing.  This, like so many other thing, is just proof of why I'm a fan and Beane is a Wizard.

Bojo was shitcanned because his FG holding was lackluster.  The reason Bass was shakey early last year was a direct result of Bojo and his sloppiness.  Replays were shown of the laces facing sideways & backwards.  Completely unacceptable. 

I believe someone on the staff was watching every hold by every available punter out there in the league, and Haack was targeted by the middle of last season as a tier 1 super important Beane signing.  Holding is actually mor eimportant than the net yards punted, in my opinion.

• Like 5
  • FANtastic 1

CarpetCrawler
50 minutes ago, Nanker said:

Great job as usual Virg. 
#2. Groot or if you want to wax esoteric - Bastille or maybe Guillotine  

# 4.  Just not ABBA. 

Or go the complete opposite way, how about Jock, as in Jean Jacques?

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Nanker said:

Great job as usual Virg. 
#2. Groot or if you want to wax esoteric - Bastille or maybe Guillotine  

# 4.  Just not ABBA. 

If he posts ABBA lyrics, will you leave? If so . . .

When you're gone, how can I even try to go on?

When you're gone, though I try how can I carry on?