Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Do You Like Football? Serious Question.

The_Dude

I'm asking because I always wonder this about myself....'do I like football?'

When I was a kid, the Bills ALWAYS won....and if they didn't, I had no fear that they'd be able to bounce back. Football was enjoyable. It was fun.

I grew up, and the Bills got bad. Drought started when I was like 14/15. Since then, I haven't enjoyed football.

I was thinking that as I find myself thinking about tongihts game. First, I love football, but I'm not sure I like it. I don't have fun watching -- quite the opposite. Watching football with me is intense. Lots of profanity....I'm an emotional roller coaster. 

I remember watching Patriots games over the past 20 years and thinking 'kinda looks like the Pats are going to lose, but I don't believe they will....something will happen.' Pats fans appeared to have felt the same way. 

I think I just haven't enjoyed football in over 20 years because the Bills have been the Bills. Right now, it feels like we're turning a corner despite the Tennessee game last week.....but I still can't enjoy the ride yet.

Honestly, I'm not sure I'll ever be able to kick my heels back and enjoy a game until they win a championship. 

I'd love to enjoy tonights game, but I'm positive I'll be in a ball, on my couch, rocking back-n-forth as I pray for defense, cause while I don't like football, I do love it. 

• Haha 1

Love football.

I'm a bit older than the OP because I grew up starting with the OJ days when they were borderline good/mediocre but were exciting to watch.

I suffered through the 2-14 years and had hope when we drafted Kelly/Smith.  It took a couple of years for Kelly to sign due to the USFL but once he did and we went to Miami and won the game with a Kelly dive into the endzone I knew we had something special.

Once those players aged out I again suffered through year after decade of mediocre teams.

I feel like we are on the cusp of something special like the Kelly/Smith days.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

I still like the Bills, but I don't care too much about football otherwise. I may check the box score to see how Fitz is doing, or glance at the standings occasionally, but I haven't watched a non-Bills game this year.

• Like 2

I like football but not as much as in recent years. My Sundays used to involve watching the pregame shows at 12, the 1 and 4pm games, the Sunday night pregame show and then the Sunday night game. Even if they were bad teams.

Now I still watch every Bills game, but I don’t make a point of watching all of the other stuff. If the teams stink, I'll watch something else. I don't bother with the pregame shows at all.

Edited by LB3
  • Like 1

I remember my cousins arguing between Kemp and Lamonica I've been a Bills Fans for so long and believe me when I say I understand the highs and lows. But the kneeling was the last straw for this Marine vet and I will say in honesty, I am a Buffalo Bills fan, but the rest of the NFL can pretty much go to hell. Yeah, I had the Raisins game on yesterday and watched them almost blow it, but it was more for background noise than anything. If you asked me about literally any other play I wouldn't know.

Yes, I really enjoy a Bills game, win or lose and now that we've turned the corner more towards the winning it is almost orgasmic! 😂 However if there were no Bills, the NFL would have 2 less fans because my wife wouldn't watch it anymore either.

• Like 3

I've been a Bills fan since the early '70's.  Stuck with them through thick and thin.  I am much more mellow about my fanhood these days.  I didn't get too upset about Tuesday's game.  I think football was at it's most entertaining during the mid-'70's, the '80's and into the mid '90's. 

The strange thing is that football isn't my favorite sport (hockey then baseball then football) but I stopped watching hockey this year after the shutdown and I didn't listen to a single ballgame (my preferred method of enjoying a game) this year.  Football is the sport that got me back to paying attention -- and I don't watch a ton of other games besides the Bills.

• Like 1

I am fanatical about the Bills, but I like the game of football. My involvement in fantasy football has me watching a lot of games. If the bills ceased to exist however, I would find it hard to be invested in another team like I am with the Bills, and my interest in the NFL would wane.

I would probably focus more on college football at that time.

• Like 1

The direct answer to the OP's question is that, in general,  I don't enjoy football as much as I used to. I've always had a passion for the Bills, and always will; however, they have been in such disarray and so frustrating to watch, for so long, that I completely changed how I follow them. I don't watch them (or any other teams) live anymore. I check in on the Bills' score during the game, but, other than that, I go about my weekend doing things I enjoy. After the game, win or lose (unless it is a game like the last one), I find a quiet spot, sit down, and watch the game on Game Pass.

The losses are easier to take and watching the games is so much more enjoyable. To each their own. This works for me.

As I get older, I find that I watch far less sports, in general, than I used to - and enjoy my weekends so much more.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Cinga said:

I remember my cousins arguing between Kemp and Lamonica I've been a Bills Fans for so long and believe me when I say I understand the highs and lows. But the kneeling was the last straw for this Marine vet and I will say in honesty, I am a Buffalo Bills fan, but the rest of the NFL can pretty much go to hell. Yeah, I had the Raisins game on yesterday and watched them almost blow it, but it was more for background noise than anything. If you asked me about literally any other play I wouldn't know.

Yes, I really enjoy a Bills game, win or lose and now that we've turned the corner more towards the winning it is almost orgasmic! 😂 However if there were no Bills, the NFL would have 2 less fans because my wife wouldn't watch it anymore either.

10 years Army, man...I get it. 

I was ok w/ the kneeling at first but it’s outa control. I love the Bills but I’ll always love my country more. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, TakeYouToTasker 2.0 said:

Nah, I just watch for the social justice.

If we can come up with just one more clever helmet decal we’ll end racism once and for all!

• Haha 3

I enjoy pro football - the Bills are my main focus and what I enjoy the most.

If the Bills lose, I lose interest in the rest of the NFL for a few days.  Win and I absorb as much as possible.

I don't follow a college team closely but do watch the SEC when the top teams play.  The next best level of football after the NFL.

• Like 1

I care much less about both football and sports in general than I do about the Bills. The Bills have been a part of my life as far back as the early 60's. I can enjoy a Bills game whether they win or they lose, but needless to say that I enjoy the wins much more. 

I always get excited when a Bills game is about to begin, whether they're in their glory days or in the middle of a dismal losing streak, they're my team. They represent my home, and by extension, they represent me. 

• Like 1

My 2nd deployment to Iraq, I was the gunner for our “First Sergeant,” meaning I was on one of the command trucks. We went out on missions all the time but unless we were expecting a kerfuffle we weren’t routinely out at night. As a result I was often manning the command centers radios. I HATED it when I was on radio watch and our guys got in a shindig. I hated it. I felt helpless to help. Now, I was actually critical in that role to the fight as I’d get aerial assets to them and other necessary things-n-stuff. That’s what watching a Bills game feels like to me — my guys are in contact and I’m sitting on my hands. I hate it. But I’m 5’6” and so on the gridiron I probably wouldn’t be much help. But I’d go for somebody’s knees. 

Love the game.  Played youth football, have 2 sons that played a total of 18 years and have been a Bills fan since the OJ era.  Have been to many many high school games including some high school playoff games where the talent on the field was very impressive for 17-18 year olds.  Been to several college games as well. 

For me it's all about the players.  When you get familiar with their strengths, weaknesses and off-field personalities you can create a real connection.  Winning helps a lot. 

• Like 1

TtownBillsFan
18 hours ago, bdutton said:

Love football.

I'm a bit older than the OP because I grew up starting with the OJ days when they were borderline good/mediocre but were exciting to watch.

I suffered through the 2-14 years and had hope when we drafted Kelly/Smith.  It took a couple of years for Kelly to sign due to the USFL but once he did and we went to Miami and won the game with a Kelly dive into the endzone I knew we had something special.

Once those players aged out I again suffered through year after decade of mediocre teams.

I feel like we are on the cusp of something special like the Kelly/Smith days.

I'm from Tulsa, Oklahoma, and started watching the Bills when Thurmal (an OSU guy) became a Buffalo Bill.  I've been a die-hard ever since, and will NEVER change that.  I'm rooting for Cody Ford (an OU guy), was hoping he'd be our answer at RT, but seems he's going to be a RG (and that's FINE, just be the best RG ever, and them's BIG feet to fill, if you're doing your 90's+ Bills OL research!)

• Like 1

I started watching college in '04, when I moved to Florida to help my mom out after Hurricane Charley. Bills games were scarce but I did catch a couple. I got into the Gators after talking to a few guys at my job there and realizing they were on every Saturday. There was no way I was going to root for the Phins and even following the Bucs felt wrong. So I kinda dove in head first because I really just love football in general. The Bills and the Gators are the only games I'm emotionally invested in. Saturdays I try to catch one other game besides the Gators, if not more depending on what's going on. And then Sundays I will typically leave football on after the Bills play. So yea, I still like it. Just hate when my teams lose. The past few years they've even mirrored each other which is more infuriating. It's like de ja vu sometimes.

• Like 1