Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

BILLS @ Bears, Pre-season game #2: The Aftermath

Ann

4 minutes ago, Sig1Hunter said:

Chicago is probably one of the prime spots for Daboll when Nagy is fired this year.

Do you think he takes Trubisky with him? 😂

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Foxx said:

Do you think he takes Trubisky with him? 😂

That would be the ALL-TIME "you suck as a coach, Nagy" move. 

I root for it.

• Haha 1

I thought Spencer Brown looked really good in the first quarter going against Chicago's first team D and especially, Mack. Glad I wasn't the only one who thought so.

A good Cover 1 article.

DION DAWKINS IMPRESSED WITH ‘SWAGGER’ OF SPENCER BROWN: ‘HE PUNCHES EVERYBODY’

... Brown made his debut last week against the Detroit Lions, playing 45 snaps at left tackle. He had some rookie mistakes, allowing two quarterback pressures, but overall, he had a fine performance. He showed off his athleticism in pass protection and flashed some power in the run game.

Dawkins returned to the lineup Saturday against the Chicago Bears and Brown got the start at right tackle, where he played 29 snaps. Brown faced off with Khalil Mack on most of those snaps and completely locked down the five-time All-Pro edge rusher.

Following the Bills’ 41-15 victory over the Bears, Dawkins was asked if he was impressed with Brown’s ability to hold his own against a player of Mack’s caliber. The 27-year old explained that Brown did much more than simply hold his own, heaping praise on the rookie – crediting a strong work ethic that allows him to be so impactful.

“I wouldn’t call it holding your own. Spencer works at his craft every day,” Dawkins said of his teammate. “Spencer’s just playing ball – whether it’s Khalil Mack, or whoever. He’s out there doing what OG’s teaching him and it’s showing. It’s showing week in and week out. He’s bouncing back from left to right and I’m proud of him. He has no fear.

“The kid is literally like a skyscraper, he punches everybody, and he plays ball to the fullest. He finishes, he’s got the swagger and I love the kid. He’s been doing his thing but I’d just put it more on his craft. He’s doing his craft and that’s what’s helping him succeed and that’s all you need to do in this league. Big salute to my boy Spence.” ...

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

Few things quickly:

- I remain impressed by the speed of this defense. I mean, these bitches are so freaking fast.

- It felt like Basaham had a better game today. It may be because the Bears OL is pretty horrible.

- While it's obvious a lot of teams are using the preseason to run fourth-down plays from pretty much anywhere on the field, you can see the carry over for the Bills from last year's aggressiveness. I particularly dig the Bills idea that the way to get better on third down is to approach each drive trying to avoid it altogether.

- You know the team had a great game when social media is jumping in Haack's shit. He wasn't great yesterday, but he's been pretty great leading up to yesterday with good hang times and accuracy.

- @GG1is right about the media coverage. Any more today, the fact that the media manipulates sporting news means nothing to me given how they manipulate news that matters, but the story yesterday was Trubisky and all they wanted to discuss was how Fields looked good...who only looked good against the backdrop of Dalton. 

Edited by IDBillzFan
  • Like 7
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, IDBillzFan said:

Few things quickly:

- I remain impressed by the speed of this defense. I mean, these bitches are so freaking fast.

- It felt like Basaham had a better game today. It may be because the Bears OL is pretty horrible.

- While it's obvious a lot of teams are using the preseason to run fourth-down plays from pretty much anywhere on the field, you can see the carry over for the Bills from last year's aggressiveness. I particularly dig the Bills idea that the way to get better on third down is to approach each drive trying to avoid it altogether.

- You know the team had a great game when social media is jumping in Haack's shit. He wasn't great yesterday, but he's been pretty great leading up to yesterday with good hang times and accuracy.

- @GG1is right about the media coverage. Any more today, the fact that the media manipulates sporting news means nothing to me given how they manipulate news that matters, but the story yesterday was Trubisky and all they wanted to discuss was how Fields looked good...who only looked good against the backdrop of Dalton. 

Depending on who's doing the writing Bears fans are looking for some indication the franchise is headed in the right direction. Myself personally, If I'm a beat writer for the Bears I'm probably trying to down play the way Trubisky put on a clinic. In just a short time under  Daboll, Mitch Trubisky looks the way you would expect a 2nd overall pick in the draft to look after some development.

It all looks bad on Chicago and while I did see flashes of the QB Justin Fields could become. Its impossible not to have a negative perception because of how badly the Bears missed the boat on whats appearing to be a possible franchise QB.

Myself personally, If I'm Beane I'm trying to find the right numbers to coax Trubisky/agent into a longer term contract. The way I see it this is a great opportunity for the Bills organization to assist Brian Daboll in securing a franchise QB already acclimated to the sytem to help Daboll achieve success in his 1st tenure as HC.  As much as we would all hate to see Daboll go, one day its going to happen. I believe with this in mind Mitch Trubisky will see the logic in allowing the Buffalo Bills more control over the young signal callers future.  

Edited by Figster
  • Like 6

Alaska Darin
18 hours ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

It's actually not that discretionary, since the league attempts to define every little aspect of every rule, call, and move on the field (see also, "catch".)  But the officials end up having wide latitude under certain rules such as this to do what they want, because the league's situational reactiveness in rule making (see: Marsha's knee) leads to an incoherent set of rules. 

"Any physical acts against a player who is in a passing posture (i.e. before, during, or after a pass) which, in the Referee’s judgment, are unwarranted by the circumstances of the play will be called as fouls.

You cannot make up that load of crap.

59 minutes ago, snafu said:

If I'm a Bears fan, I really wouldn't want Fields starting until they fix that line.

Could be RGB IV if they do. He’ll be running for his life all season long. At least Lamar had an OLine in Bal’more. 

Edited by Nanker
  • Like 1