Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

A Few Thoughts About the Bears Game, in no particular order

Virgil

10 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Bonus Question - The Play - After the first Motor touchdown, someone on the Bills made a monster tackle on the Bears kick returner the next play.  Any idea who that was?  There weren't any replays from the homer Bears broadcast.

They were busy running down the hotel options for Justin Fields' HOF induction weekend.

Edited by KD in CA
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

They were busy running down the hotel options for Justin Fields' HOF induction weekend.

It was ridiculous listening to them.  

32 minutes ago, Virgil said:

10 - Hollister - This is hard for me to say, but I believe Hollister should be given the starting job at TE.  Knox had both a drop and a missed block in his limited action while Hollister continues to be effective blocking, catching, and with surprising speed.  He looks like a receiver in the open field and a match-up nightmare for some linebackers and cornerbacks.  I'm sure Knox will continue to get the start and we haven't see what Josh's rapport is with him (should be strong since they played together before), but I think Knox is on a short leash this year.

On one of his catches, Hollister had the benefit of busted coverage, which made it look a lot better for Hollister than it actually was. I agree Knox starts and is on a short leash, but I want to see more Hollister before I get wood. There was talk about seeing his chemistry with Josh, but it looks like that will have to wait for the regular season since it sounds like Josh won't play vs. GB.

19 minutes ago, Virgil said:

It was ridiculous listening to them.  

I wasn't as down on the Bears announcers as others, but that may be because I think Pat Kirwan and Jim Miller are probably the best team on Sirius/XM NFL channel. They actually reported from Bills camp on the day Josh got his big contract.

Miller really knows rosters, but in the end, it's their job to hype the new quarterback.

50 minutes ago, Virgil said:

5 - Epenesa - This is where many of us are about to disagree.  Epenesa logged a lot of snaps in both preseason games so far and I believe it's because the coaches still want to see more from him.  Yes, he had a monster of a sack where he bull-rushed over the 3rd string left tackle and delivered a monster hit.  However, I'm not see Epenesa get the same push against the starters or back-ups.  He gets very close to the quarterback almost every time but he just can't quite finish.  If the coaches were sold on him, I don't believe he'd be out there as much and into the second half.  Same goes for my opinion of Obada, who had a very quite game.

FWIW, it was their starting LT Elijah Wilkinson, who'll probably lose the job any day to Jason Peters.

50 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Bonus Question - The Play - After the first Motor touchdown, someone on the Bills made a monster tackle on the Bears kick returner the next play.  Any idea who that was?  There weren't any replays from the homer Bears broadcast.

Hard to see both numbers, but pretty sure it was Neil

• Like 1

16 hours ago, GG1 said:

FWIW, it was their starting LT Elijah Wilkinson, who'll probably lose the job any day to Jason Peters.

Hard to see both numbers, but pretty sure it was Neil

It looked like Neal & that's who Catalon credited with the tackle.

• Like 2

In many ways Virgil I feel like Josh Allen is the mentor here over Trubisky and the results so far are fantastic for the young signal caller Mitch Trubisky. Love of the game is a very important aspect of a QB's development and success that need not be forgotten by the coaching staffs in the NFL.

QB burn out happens and I'll use A Luck as a great example...

• Like 1

On 8/26/2021 at 12:55 PM, Figster said:

In many ways Virgil I feel like Josh Allen is the mentor here over Trubisky and the results so far are fantastic for the young signal caller Mitch Trubisky. Love of the game is a very important aspect of a QB's development and success that need not be forgotten by the coaching staffs in the NFL.

QB burn out happens and I'll use A Luck as a great example...

He was beat up and burned out from the rehabbing. You made me look, and he’s still only 31 years old  having retired in 2019. That’s so young these days!  The ever-reliable internet reports he has a net worth of about $40 million, so less than what Josh will gross on an annual basis.

I’m sure he can “get by” on what he has, but I have to wonder if he’s ever wondered seriously about coming back? He’s a super smart guy (and funny!) so his life is full of options. I just wonder how much he loves/loved the game. I just can’t see Josh just walking away like that while still in his 20’s. 

• Like 1

Luck was never the same after he ripped up his throwing shoulder. Same thing happened to Bengals phenom Greg Cook in 69-70.

He had the sickest play action fake I’d ever seen. He just couldn’t throw after that injury. Too bad. NFL fans were denied some spectacular plays no doubt. 

Edited by Nanker
  • Cheers 1

38 minutes ago, Nanker said:

Luck was never the same after he ripped up his throwing shoulder. Same thing happened to Bengals phenom Greg Cook in 69-70.

He had the sickest play action fake I’d ever seen. He just couldn’t throw after that injury. Too bad. NFL fans were denied some spectacular plays no doubt. 

Always been a big fan of A Luck

1 hour ago, Augie said:

He was beat up and burned out from the rehabbing. You made me look, and he’s still only 31 years old  having retired in 2019. That’s so young these days!  The ever-reliable internet reports he has a net worth of about $40 million, so less than what Josh will gross on an annual basis.

I’m sure he can “get by” on what he has, but I have to wonder if he’s ever wondered seriously about coming back? He’s a super smart guy (and funny!) so his life is full of options. I just wonder how much he loves/loved the game. I just can’t see Josh just walking away like that while still in his 20’s. 

perhaps after the Bills finish getting Trubisky back on track Beane should give Luck a ring to see how his shoulders been feeling