Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Week 6: BILLS vs KC : The Aftermath

Ann

Sooooooo  The run defense. Or should I say "What run defense?"

Josh and the receivers need to get their shit together.  The drops have to stop, Josh needs a bit better timing.

We need a run game.

ST was better. I wish that 53 yard FG at the end of the half had converted. Maybe the final 2 minutes would have played out differently?

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Ann said:

Sooooooo  The run defense. Or should I say "What run defense?"

Josh and the receivers need to get their shit together.  The drops have to stop, Josh needs a bit better timing.

We need a run game.

ST was better. I wish that 53 yard FG at the end of the half had converted. Maybe the final 2 minutes would have played out differently?

I agree with the bolded, but IMO josh’s biggest issue in this game was that the D could not get off the field to give him a chance to get in rhythm. We’ve seen him have those early game funks before and play his way out of it, but today he never had the opportunity to do so. 

Edited by Chandemonium
  • Like 1

Seems like the league has watched the tape from the first few weeks and figured out how to defend Josh.

Can the OL just not run block, or is this on the RBs?

Jerry Hughes is now my least favorite Bill. He adds nothing to the defense.  He looks like a guy that has never been coached on how to play his position.  The back breaking play on the last drive was entirely on him.

• Like 1

transplantbillsfan

I'm tired of this Defense.  So terrible.  I'd say maybe once we get Milano back healthy and maybe trade for a good run stuffing DT (yes I really think they miss Star this year) that we'll get better, but frankly I don't actually think that'll happen.

Basically Allen needs to carry the team almost every game, but a combination of primetime jitters on his part and an offensive game plan that won't simply acknowledge that is going to keep this team in that "good, but not good enough" territory.

So frustrating.

• Like 2

We played the two AFC championship teams. We lost to probably the two best teams in the league. Once we beat the jets, things will look up again. I think we are having growing pains and injuries. 

• Like 3

Walter Buffalo

Great!!!!

After that abysmal showing now Cuomo can say he has the best interest of the fans in mind for not allowing them to attend Bills games for two reasons.

Edited by Walter Buffalo
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

Seems to me that for all the depth the Bills have at DL on paper they really lack 2 things.  I don't see any of the tackles as the space eating you just can't move them out of there types.  Also, they don't have a elite pass rusher at DE.  Hughes best is probably behind him now.  Star not playing probably hurts some but he's not a top tier player it seemed.  The linebackers are either pretty young or are journeyman types.  Milano is very good but not a full time player due to injuries.  Seems like these areas can still be upgraded.

Edited by Ninety-4
  • Like 1

transplantbillsfan

Allen wasn't very good, but I also don't think he was as bad as our initial reaction is.

First of all, Daboll frustrates me... I feel like he's Jekyll and Hyde as an OC.  Our RBs just aren't very good... or our OL is just horrible at run blocking... or both.  Singletary had 1 run of 10 yards and 1 run of 9 yards at one point.  Other than those 2 runs our RBs still ran the ball 13 more times for a TOTAL of 23 yards.

We just get behind the sticks too often on those early downs and then have to rely on Allen to get us a 1st down.  And honestly, all year that's what he was doing with his arm... today he did it more often with his legs.  And the icing on the cake are the drops by our WRs.  I know the deep passes to Brown and Diggs in the EZ aren't drops, but those were good passes.  But Diggs had another drop at one point.  Brown had that drop on a perfectly thrown pass on 3rd and 10 on the very first drive that hit him in the facemask.  We've upgraded our WR corps for sure, but even before this game Allen was STILL suffering from highest drop % in the NFL.

And finally I really do think Allen has some Primetime Yips he needs to work through.  Last year I think I made the comment that Allen was much better on the road because there's less pressure to perform on the road than at home.  Same goes for Primetime games. 

He's still growing, and I'm confident he will, but I think the fact that he didn't have much of a spotlight in HS, JuCo, or D1 College is factoring into his need to grow a bit more into the game.

• Like 2
  • FANtastic 1

7 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Allen wasn't very good, but I also don't think he was as bad as our initial reaction is.

First of all, Daboll frustrates me... I feel like he's Jekyll and Hyde as an OC.  Our RBs just aren't very good... or our OL is just horrible at run blocking... or both.  Singletary had 1 run of 10 yards and 1 run of 9 yards at one point.  Other than those 2 runs our RBs still ran the ball 13 more times for a TOTAL of 23 yards.

We just get behind the sticks too often on those early downs and then have to rely on Allen to get us a 1st down.  And honestly, all year that's what he was doing with his arm... today he did it more often with his legs.  And the icing on the cake are the drops by our WRs.  I know the deep passes to Brown and Diggs in the EZ aren't drops, but those were good passes.  But Diggs had another drop at one point.  Brown had that drop on a perfectly thrown pass on 3rd and 10 on the very first drive that hit him in the facemask.  We've upgraded our WR corps for sure, but even before this game Allen was STILL suffering from highest drop % in the NFL.

And finally I really do think Allen has some Primetime Yips he needs to work through.  Last year I think I made the comment that Allen was much better on the road because there's less pressure to perform on the road than at home.  Same goes for Primetime games. 

He's still growing, and I'm confident he will, but I think the fact that he didn't have much of a spotlight in HS, JuCo, or D1 College is factoring into his need to grow a bit more into the game.

I just don't see the commitment to the run game that I'd like.  Allen runs too much in some games.  Singletary is talented but doesn't get enough touches in a lot of games.  Moss being injured probably didn't help.  The bills badly need him to develop into a reliable north-south runner. 

The massive runs they pulled were just brutal to watch, but taken into context from McDermott's post-game comments, the choice was to protect the long throws and make them go the long length of the field on the ground. Stats notwithingstanding, that strategy would have worked if the offense could have performed even a little more reliably. 

Yes, the D is a mess, and I'm confused as to how the Josh Allen played so well in Pitt and Dallas in prime time games suddenly struggles in that arena.

Step one is to get another win, so thankfully they play the Jets up next. That should allow everyone to get things feeling better about themselves, albeit with a team who barely wants to play at all.

Look on the bright side. At least our running back isn't Zeke Elliot.

• Like 1

Our defensive line got manhandled by a makeshift o-line.  I understand the strategy but the lack of push up front is extremely concerning.  It's hard to find a silver lining other than we're 4-2 and first in the division.  Either Beane pulls out a trade nobody sees coming to shore up the DT position or we find a way to improve with the roster we have.  Feliciano and Milano eventually coming back should help a little with both our run offense and defense.

• Like 2

TtownBillsFan
8 hours ago, KD in CA said:

Seems like the league has watched the tape from the first few weeks and figured out how to defend Josh.

Can the OL just not run block, or is this on the RBs?

Jerry Hughes is now my least favorite Bill. He adds nothing to the defense.  He looks like a guy that has never been coached on how to play his position.  The back breaking play on the last drive was entirely on him.

Ugh, I hate this take (not you).  Hughes is held, on almost every play if you focus just on him.  It's LIKELY because of all of the years prior when he did some questionable things from time to time.  But good grief, he can' get a holding call to save his life!  And it seems to be the case across the line (and maybe they're letting things go more across the board this year - it's very likely true.)  But good grief, it took a WWE tackle to get a holding call!

• Like 1

Defense played KC as well as one could have expected. For those who wanna bitch about the run D, I get it — but pick your poison. Do you wanna invest in stopping the run only to have Mahomes open up the passing game?

The offense has just been wonky lately. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The_Dude said:

Defense played KC as well as one could have expected. For those who wanna bitch about the run D, I get it — but pick your poison. Do you wanna invest in stopping the run only to have Mahomes open up the passing game?

The offense has just been wonky lately. 

I can see selling out the run to protect the pass, but there's no excuse for getting blown off the line by Chiefs' backups and forgetting how to tackle.  Go to the Cover 1 Twitter feed for the initial take.  Both lines were putrid.

• Like 2