Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Week 6: BILLS vs KC : The Aftermath

Ann

11 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I'm tired of this Defense.  So terrible.  I'd say maybe once we get Milano back healthy and maybe trade for a good run stuffing DT (yes I really think they miss Star this year) that we'll get better, but frankly I don't actually think that'll happen.

Basically Allen needs to carry the team almost every game, but a combination of primetime jitters on his part and an offensive game plan that won't simply acknowledge that is going to keep this team in that "good, but not good enough" territory.

So frustrating.

`1st drive

Beasely drops low ball - thrwowing it up in air for what looked like it could be picke

then Allen runs for his life- hits Brown in face mask for what should have been 1st down

if we convert, Josh gets into rhythm

why can't we catch the ball anymore?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TtownBillsFan said:

Ugh, I hate this take (not you).  Hughes is held, on almost every play if you focus just on him.  It's LIKELY because of all of the years prior when he did some questionable things from time to time.  But good grief, he can' get a holding call to save his life!  And it seems to be the case across the line (and maybe they're letting things go more across the board this year - it's very likely true.)  But good grief, it took a WWE tackle to get a holding call!

knowing the league is calling it this way- why aren't the bills adjusting with their OL

The KC DB's were holding on every play as well- while we play 10 yards off their WRs

8 minutes ago, GG1 said:

I can see selling out the run to protect the pass, but there's no excuse for getting blown off the line by Chiefs' backups and forgetting how to tackle.  Go to the Cover 1 Twitter feed for the initial take.  Both lines were putrid.

why is klein 54 playing DE?

it was obvious they taargeted him here to great success

13 minutes ago, GG1 said:

Go to the Cover 1 Twitter feed for the initial take.  Both lines were putrid.

No, no! Because I don’t want to, and you can’t make me🙈

7 minutes ago, The_Dude said:

No, no! Because I don’t want to, and you can’t make me🙈

As an aside, it appears that Twitter wants to protect Bills  fans, because nearly every Cover1 tweet about the game has a "sensitive content warning" 🙂

image.png.15b58170eca2b5e3af3dc6447ff45d97.png

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, GG1 said:

As an aside, it appears that Twitter wants to protect Bills  fans, because nearly every Cover1 tweet about the game has a "sensitive content warning" 🙂

image.png.15b58170eca2b5e3af3dc6447ff45d97.png

lol that's awesome

29 minutes ago, The_Dude said:

Defense played KC as well as one could have expected. For those who wanna bitch about the run D, I get it — but pick your poison. Do you wanna invest in stopping the run only to have Mahomes open up the passing game?

The offense has just been wonky lately. 

In general I agree that trying to take the game out of the hands of Mahomes/Kelce/Hill was the right play. My issue with the D, and why I can’t agree that they played as well as could be expected is that when the D did force them into obvious passing 3rd and longs, they couldn’t stop those either. They also shot themselves in the foot with bad penalties. The 2 out of bounds personal foul penalties on the same drive in the 4th quarter were just dumb, and sealed our fate as much as anything else in the game.  I know he started poorly, but Josh never really had a chance to work out of his funk and get in rhythm either because the D couldn’t get him the ball back. 

• Like 2

The old tropes about winning in the NFL and really at any level of football still hold true. Control the line of scrimmage, run the football, play sound defense. We can't do any of the 3.

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, Ann said:

Despite the fact that I hate Tim Graham and his takes, He's HALF right about that.

The offense would have had more snaps had the defense been able to stop a breeze.

On the other hand, until the fourth, the offense did nothing to help itself.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Spartacus said:

`1st drive

Beasely drops low ball - thrwowing it up in air for what looked like it could be picke

then Allen runs for his life- hits Brown in face mask for what should have been 1st down

if we convert, Josh gets into rhythm

why can't we catch the ball anymore?

That drop was a complete abomination. Inexcusable. I really do think that changed the outset of the game. But Josh needs to overcome stupid stuff like that and not get worse when it happens. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

That drop was a complete abomination. Inexcusable. I really do think that changed the outset of the game. But Josh needs to overcome stupid stuff like that and not get worse when it happens. 

Yeah, the receivers developed the dropseys the last two weeks. Josh does need to learn to shake it off. However, I'd argue that our receivers (which are a more than decent group) need to learn to catch what he throws all. the. time. I have no idea what happened to that group, but they need to get back to basics and catch the damn ball.  Last night we saw bounces off chests, facemasks, off the hands on leading throws, etc.  SMH 

7 hours ago, TtownBillsFan said:

Ugh, I hate this take (not you).  Hughes is held, on almost every play if you focus just on him.  It's LIKELY because of all of the years prior when he did some questionable things from time to time.  But good grief, he can' get a holding call to save his life!  And it seems to be the case across the line (and maybe they're letting things go more across the board this year - it's very likely true.)  But good grief, it took a WWE tackle to get a holding call!

I'm not buying the holding excuse anymore.  Everyone gets held. He's simply no longer an effective player.  If you're going to have a guy who has no discipline, no understanding of containment, and does nothing except pursue the QB any which way, than that guy needs to be able to defeat a 1:1 blocker on a regular basis and reach the QB.  Hughes almost never wins that battle any more and rarely reaches the QB.  The backbreaking play last night was the perfect example.  Mahomes escaping to Hughes' side has all day to wait for his WR to come 40 yards across the field while Hughes is untangling himself from the scrum he ran himself into.

Hughes is somehow still living off his reputation from a few years ago, but not every guy continues to play at a high level as he starts to approach mid-30s. 

59 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

Gotta take the drafting out of Beanes hands. 

Okay, let's just breathe a little bit before we get too crazy.

Three weeks ago, the call was to extend Beane as quickly as possible and worry about replacing Daboll and Frazier after they leave to be head coaches in Atlanta and Houston.

Two losses later and we want everyone to suffer death by bunga-bunga.

We all know better than to play "what if," but you know what's funny? If that non-fumble was actually a real fumble the Bills recovered, based on the Bills red zone TD scoring percentage of 74%, we were a rat's ass whisker away from staring at 5-1 today. In spite of all the ugliness we saw from the D, a rat's ass whisker away.

Perspective, folks, mmmkay?

And a reminder on the new board: yes, I'm an effin' homer. Sue me.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

Okay, let's just breathe a little bit before we get too crazy.

Three weeks ago, the call was to extend Beane as quickly as possible and worry about replacing Daboll and Frazier after they leave to be head coaches in Atlanta and Houston.

Two losses later and we want everyone to suffer death by bunga-bunga.

We all know better than to play "what if," but you know what's funny? If that non-fumble was actually a real fumble the Bills recovered, based on the Bills red zone TD scoring percentage of 74%, we were a rat's ass whisker away from staring at 5-1 today. In spite of all the ugliness we saw from the D, a rat's ass whisker away.

Perspective, folks, mmmkay?

And a reminder on the new board: yes, I'm an effin' homer. Sue me.

I know.   I’m a little distraught over whatever it is Edmunds and Oliver are supposed to be bringing. 

This front 4 just looks like trash.  

transplantbillsfan

https://theathletic.com/2149269/2020/10/20/bills-chiefs-takeaways-run-defense?source=user-shared-article

The game was there for the taking for Josh Allen

Despite all the yards the defense allowed and the time the Chiefs took off the clock, Josh Allen and the Bills’ offense still had every opportunity to pull out a win. The problem was Allen struggled with his accuracy, looked more frantic in the pocket than he has all season and never was able to correct it. The game was Allen’s worst of the season and more reminiscent of his 2019 self. The film showed us that Allen played better against the Titans than we were first led to believe, but there won’t be any false illusions this time around — Allen’s inaccuracy was one of the primary reasons the Bills lost.

Allen had 27 pass attempts by the end of the game, completing only 14 for a season-low 51.8 completion percentage. Seven of those 13 incompletions were short-yardage misfires that could have kept drives alive. The most glaring miss was a potential 33-yard touchdown throw to Stefon Diggs, who wide open and drifting toward the end zone. The offensive line provided great protection, but Allen tried to get the ball out quickly. He failed to step into the throw and instead moved his front foot to the left, causing the pass to sail about 10 yards over Diggs’ head. The drive resulted in a field goal.

Games like these represent a trend for Allen so far in his career. He’ll have a few good games where he shows all of his progress and then slowly drifts back into old habits in the following weeks. Once he has a game where the bottom falls out (see: New England, Cleveland, Baltimore and Houston in 2019), he gets back to the basics in search of rapid improvement. He tends to take constructive criticism well and implement changes immediately. The Bills next face the hapless New York Jets, giving Allen a perfect opportunity for a reboot. Every quarterback has bad games, but Allen has to prevent it from becoming a trend. If Allen can get back to the way he was playing in the first four weeks, the temporary setback will wind up being worth it for the whole season.

Tyrann Mathieu kept Allen on his toes all game

Part of the reason Allen could never get comfortable on Monday was because of safety Tyrann Mathieu. The Bills don’t have a tight end worthy of Mathieu’s sole focus, which allowed the Chiefs to use him as a game-plan wrecker. Mathieu acted as a zone defender underneath to cover up Cole Beasley, he dropped back deep in Cover 2 to bracket Diggs and he faked a deep drop into zone coverage only to pick up John Brown on a crossing route on third down. The Chiefs used Mathieu in man-to-man coverage against Brown, Beasley and Gabriel Davis and also blitzed him off the edge to get Allen off his spot. The range of outcomes from snap to snap made it so Allen could not predict what was coming. All he could do was avoid Mathieu as much as possible, which took away options on every play.

• Like 1