Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Epic 2021 Season Opener - Bills vs Steelers Sept 12, 1PM Orchard Park

GG1

T.J. Watt’s Contract Impasse Could Hand Bills a Huge Gift in Week 1

...Watt’s Status Up In The Air

As Mike Florio of NBC Sports’ Pro Football Talk noted, the negotiations between Watt and the Steelers appear to have hit a wall. The All-Pro edge rusher is reportedly demanding a guarantee that stretches beyond this season, but Florio noted that the Steelers don’t guarantee payments beyond the first year of a veteran deal. Watt is seeking to become the highest-paid player in football, but time could be running out to get a deal done before the team shuts it down.

As Florio noted, the Steelers have an internal rule not to allow contract negotiations to stretch into the season. Watt has been present at training camp and going through individual drills, but has done no work with his teammates and not played in any of the team’s preseason games.

ESPN’s Jeremy Fowler reported that it has been hard on Watt to be away from his teammates, but the impasse could keep him away for much longer — and potentially out of the lineup against the Bills in Week 1.

“And so, if something’s not done in the next, say, the next 48-to-72 hours, he’s definitely going to be in jeopardy of missing Week 1 because the Steelers stay tried-and-true to guys needing to practice in order to play,” Fowler reported on Sunday, via Bleacher Report. “He’s been out there in individual drills and things like that, but they need more.” ...

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Foxx said:

As Mike Florio of NBC Sports’ Pro Football Talk noted, the negotiations between Watt and the Steelers appear to have hit a wall. The All-Pro edge rusher is reportedly demanding a guarantee that stretches beyond this season, but Florio noted that the Steelers don’t guarantee payments beyond the first year of a veteran deal. Watt is seeking to become the highest-paid player in football, but time could be running out to get a deal done before the team shuts it down.

As Florio noted, the Steelers have an internal rule not to allow contract negotiations to stretch into the season. Watt has been present at training camp and going through individual drills, but has done no work with his teammates and not played in any of the team’s preseason games.

ESPN’s Jeremy Fowler reported that it has been hard on Watt to be away from his teammates, but the impasse could keep him away for much longer — and potentially out of the lineup against the Bills in Week 1.

“And so, if something’s not done in the next, say, the next 48-to-72 hours, he’s definitely going to be in jeopardy of missing Week 1 because the Steelers stay tried-and-true to guys needing to practice in order to play,” Fowler reported on Sunday, via Bleacher Report. “He’s been out there in individual drills and things like that, but they need more.” ...

That's a real shame

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Foxx said:

"pretty much all players"... he might be an exception

watt.JPG.4550abcba50c592e2f2f1d6c49be7922.JPG

• Like 1

On 8/31/2021 at 12:20 PM, GG1 said:

Definitely not.  Too many things going on that weekend up here.  Game is sandwiched in between two concerts - My Morning Jacket on Fri & Violent Femmes/Flogging Molly on Sun nite.

I saw VF in a 1500 capacity venue a few years back and it was one of the best live shows I've seen. Not sure if it's a regular thing, but the band walked through the audience to take the stage.

I wouldn't bank on Watt missing the game -- probably a better chance he signs a massive deal an hour before kickoff and terrorizes everyone, but it's certainly a nice thought.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, B-Man said:

NFL Week 1 Betting Preview: Steelers currently 6.5-point underdogs against the Bills

by: Dave.Schofield SB Nation: Behind the Steel Curtain11m

The Steelers an Bills face off for the third-straight season.

Hey SB Nation, is it too difficult to take just a few extra minutes and proofread your copy before you post it? Just a few extra minutes and pretty much anyone can catch the errors. I know the AP Style Handbook has all but put up the white flag on Journalism 101, and everyone can spell shit whichever way they want -- disirregardless of whether or not it makes sense -- but is it too much to ask for a little pride in work?

Lazy shits.

1 hour ago, wnyguy said:

I would expect a lot of dink and dunk passing from Ben and a substantial amount of running plays. I know we spiced up our pass rush but can our D stop the run?

The defensive line looked a bit more stout this pre-season, but that's not always a good indicator of what will come. Until such a time that they can stop the run, I suspect the plan is to score early and often to put the Steelers in position to abandon the run in order to catch up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wnyguy said:

I would expect a lot of dink and dunk passing from Ben and a substantial amount of running plays. I know we spiced up our pass rush but can our D stop the run?

The handful of previews highlighted the Steelers offense working through Najee Harris, although he was only successful against a bad Lions team.  The Steelers O couldn't do anything against Eagles or Panthers, preseason and all.  Still very few passes from Ben beond 10 yards.

• Like 1

Steelers HC Mike Tomlin 'remains optimistic' about T.J. Watt contract extension

Since it was clear T.J. Watt would not be participating in team drills at Steelers training camp, his return to full-go has been on the minds of everyone from inside the organization to the fans.

The idea was that Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin would provide some sense of hope that Watt would be on the field harassing Bills quarterback Josh Allen on Sunday.

Unfortunately, the situation is no more clear than it has been all offseason. Watt did not participate in practice on Monday, but Tomlin said he expects his star edge-rusher to be back on Wednesday.

“I remain optimistic that something is going to get done from a deal perspective. That aside, I’m expecting him to work tomorrow.”

</snip>